Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Secret to bakery challah
Previous  1  2  3

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 2:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
if you have a magic mill or other mixer the recipe I use now (after trying out several) is the recipe from tzipporah heller.

Tzipporah Heller is the teacher, lecturer & author from Yerushalayim. I think you mean Devorah Heller.

granolamom

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 4:45 pm
Success10 wrote:
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Raisin, I have a bread machine and it makes good challah, but I find it frustrating that it has a two-pound limit. (Well, whatever the dough amount is that makes two pounds of bread.) Even with a small family, that is not nearly enough!

What bread machine do you use?

Every yeast dough I make comes out so much better in the bread machine. I get 4 medium sized challahs out of mine, a morphy richards. They are great. No, you didn't ask, buuuuuttt

1.5 cups water
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar (I use demarara)
2.5 tsp salt
5 and 1/4 Cups flour (I use 70% Whole Wheat)
1/8 cup instant yeast

dump it all in, set to dough mode, let it rise, take out dough and braid challah on a floured surface (don't torture yourself with sticky dough, use flour to make it workable) coat with egg and let rise again, for 45 min to an hour, but not too long, bake at 350 for APPROX 25 mins, but I just go by the color of the challah, top should get brown, but not too brown, the whole challah shouldn't be brown, just the tops. A friend once told me to tap it with a spoon, if it sounds "hollow" then it's ready. Really an unbelievable challah.

wow, you get 4 med challahs from 5 and 1/4 cups flour? I use 5 lb and get 3 large and 2 med challah.

octopus

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 5:34 pm
granolamom wrote:
Success10 wrote:
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Raisin, I have a bread machine and it makes good challah, but I find it frustrating that it has a two-pound limit. (Well, whatever the dough amount is that makes two pounds of bread.) Even with a small family, that is not nearly enough!

What bread machine do you use?

Every yeast dough I make comes out so much better in the bread machine. I get 4 medium sized challahs out of mine, a morphy richards. They are great. No, you didn't ask, buuuuuttt

1.5 cups water
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar (I use demarara)
2.5 tsp salt
5 and 1/4 Cups flour (I use 70% Whole Wheat)
1/8 cup instant yeast

dump it all in, set to dough mode, let it rise, take out dough and braid challah on a floured surface (don't torture yourself with sticky dough, use flour to make it workable) coat with egg and let rise again, for 45 min to an hour, but not too long, bake at 350 for APPROX 25 mins, but I just go by the color of the challah, top should get brown, but not too brown, the whole challah shouldn't be brown, just the tops. A friend once told me to tap it with a spoon, if it sounds "hollow" then it's ready. Really an unbelievable challah.

wow, you get 4 med challahs from 5 and 1/4 cups flour? I use 5 lb and get 3 large and 2 med challah.

I get 8 large challos from 5 lbs.

a1mom

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 6:53 pm
I use the magic mill, knead the dought with the machine just until it starts to come together, let it sit for 15 minutes then fully knead for 10 minutes. This really activates the gluten and makes a super silky dough. I use a water challah recipe but the end result is a nice crust with super soft challah, I freeze all the challah right away unless its made on Friday, then Friday's challah's stay out and I freeze the ones for shabbos day and defrost them in the morning. My challah is very good but other people don't seem to have as much success with my recipe which I give out freely... a good friend who uses my recipe ate at out house and her husband commented that she should get the recipe as it is really good, she laughed so hard.... I also watch the challah carefully, never add extra flour to the recipe, I spray my hands so the dough doesn't stick when I roll it out , and I use high gluten flour only. I also firmly believe that practice and accepting constructive criticism makes for much better challah, I have tweaked my recipe over the years and now it is great but if I would have been all defensive of my product when I first started then I never would have developed a truly great recipe.

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 10:58 am
I do think that some commercial bakeries use emulsifiers and who knows what else - additives. Yuck. The best challah bakeries do not add those things. But I agree, homemade is usually best!

I have been experimenting with using unflavored, room temp seltzer for half of the water in the recipe and I think it does make a difference....a more light and fluffy texture. I also use higher gluten flour most of the time.

mdoif

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:22 pm
Recent experimentation has shown me that leaving out the eggs (and substituting with water) makes for a much fluffier end product. I've been doing this in the past few weeks with much success.

Vanilla

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 5:25 am
For really fluffy challah....don't skimp on the proofing step! Let your yeast activate for at least 15 minutes. Also, make sure your yeast is reasonably fresh.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 6:00 am
bakery challah uses margarine.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads