Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Binah magazine
1  2  Next

MyTimeNow

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 12:29 pm
(changed subject line)
Today's is really, really good!

I haven't gone through all of it yet, but what I've read so far makes this one an issue not to be missed.

There's a sequel in there to something written about a year ago, it's magnificent. I found the fiction story to be nicely done (I do sorta kinda wonder about the inspiration for the backdrop of it), and there's a recipe that's going to be responsible for an extra pound or two, but yummm.

Just thought I'd post this to be fair, since I lamented the state of Binah in a not-too-long-ago post.

But if there's a commission Binah gives for trying out recipes and sacrificing the waistline for the sake of advertising, you know where to reach me! Call me

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:31 pm
which recipe Smile

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:36 pm
runningmom wrote:
(changed subject line)

I haven't gone through all of it yet, but what I've read so far makes this one an issue not to be missed.

There's a sequel in there to something written about a year ago, it's magnificent. I found the fiction story to be nicely done (I do sorta kinda wonder about the inspiration for the backdrop of it), and there's a recipe that's going to be responsible for an extra pound or two, but yummm.

Just thought I'd post this to be fair, since I lamented the state of Binah in a not-too-long-ago post.

But if there's a commission Binah gives for trying out recipes and sacrificing the waistline for the sake of advertising, you know where to reach me! Call me

Can you share something specific from the cover so I'll know which one, if the store has more than one out? Thanks!

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:43 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
runningmom wrote:
(changed subject line)

Can you share something specific from the cover so I'll know which one, if the store has more than one out? Thanks!

I think she's talking about the issue that has "One Year Later: Broken Bird revisited" or s/thing like that. It should have Check Up supplement in it too

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:52 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
which recipe Smile

Well, the breadsticks and penne look yum, and like things I'd bother making, but what I'm excited about is the Ultimate Hot Chocolate. My friends are off from work this week & we're planning a veg-out day at one of their homes. I'm bringing cookies and the ingredients for this cocoa, it's going to be perfect!

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 7:55 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
runningmom wrote:
(changed subject line)

The date on it is Dec. 23, the main headline is "Scavenging for Surprises."

rosenbal

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:00 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
runningmom wrote:
(changed subject line)

I think she's talking about the issue that has "One Year Later: Broken Bird revisited" or s/thing like that. It should have Check Up supplement in it too

I'm OOT, didn't get it yet but now looking forward (will be holiday delivery delay....oh, well).

Broken bird....is that about the mother who wrote about finding out about her daughters abuse? I remember being impressed that Binah published that. Also because the mother discussed her anger at Hashem etc. It was a very moving piece and very impressive for binah.

September June

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:07 pm
I agree that this week's Binah looks fantastic. For the first time since I started my subscription, there are actually recipes that I want to try (more than one!) and I've noticed almost no margarine in the past few week's recipes. Thank you for listening.

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:16 pm
September June wrote:
I agree that this week's Binah looks fantastic. For the first time since I started my subscription, there are actually recipes that I want to try (more than one!) and I've noticed almost no margarine in the past few week's recipes. Thank you for listening.

Margarine and onion soup mix, grrrr. I don't mind using those if I decide to make my old comfort-food standards, but I really don't want to see them in new recipes.

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:20 pm
OOT here too so I wont be getting it for a bit Crying
Shame b/c I look forward to it every week!
And yes, I do remember that article about the abuse from the mothers perspective. It was masterfully done and I am super intrigued about a sequel.

MyTimeNow

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:35 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
runningmom wrote:
(changed subject line)

Yes, the Broken Bird sequel.

sunlight

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 8:36 pm
I think the Binah picked up A LOT over the past like 5,6 weeks...

MyTimeNow

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 11:58 pm
Did anyone read Spreading her Wings? What did you think?

I think it totally takes guts to support your kid like that, and keep the rest of the family going, and not completely give up or hide. And I can't imagine what it must have felt like, having to send a kid away from home- even if you know it's the best thing, or there's no other choice, still, a mother wants her kids home. How did this writer get up in the mornings? But- could you imagne having a mother like this?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 12:03 am
Truthfully, I can't imagine being the daughter. She was and is so strong. The parents she has are part of the tools she needs for her particular very hard challenge. Bh I didn't have to go through that, but if I would've had such amazing parents, I wouldn't have had MY own particular challenge...

MyTimeNow

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
Truthfully, I can't imagine being the daughter. She was and is so strong. The parents she has are part of the tools she needs for her particular very hard challenge. Bh I didn't have to go through that, but if I would've had such amazing parents, I wouldn't have had MY own particular challenge...

Yes, this girl sounds special.
So what I extrapolated from the articles is this (probably because I also began reading books on Emunah a while ago, although sometimes I find them hard to take) : she was given her challenges, and these amazing parents- that's her package. If you had amazing parents, you might not have the specific challenge you mention, true. But you'd have a different one, cuz we all get one. Just like I have my parents, my problems and my tools - these things make up MY package. So, I could go, "well, if I had/didn't have A-B-C , then I wouldn't have suffered X-Y-Z" and be stuck and stagnating my whole life. Or I could realize (and I'm STILL working on internalizing this, and it's murder, so I'm talking to my negatively-wired brain here as well as to you) that I have what I'm supposed to have, and I'm supposed to take it and learn something from it, and then use it.

Hugs.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 10:04 am
I know the mother and I can assure you she is indeed a special individual-- something out of this world-- she's so normal and yet so incredible at the same time and I think that came through in her writing. Her daughter's growth def has a lot to do with it.

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 10:12 am
And just this week I didn't buy it. Hope its still in stores Sunday.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 10:50 am
rainbow dash wrote:
And just this week I didn't buy it. Hope its still in stores Sunday.

That's why you need a subscription Tongue Out

MyTimeNow

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 3:28 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
I know the mother and I can assure you she is indeed a special individual-- something out of this world-- she's so normal and yet so incredible at the same time and I think that came through in her writing. Her daughter's growth def has a lot to do with it.

I think you're lucky- I think anyone who knows this mother is very lucky! Because she does sound like something else, and if I'm not mistaken, I thought (I don't know, maybe it's just me?) that I picked up on hints of a sense of humor. But seriously, I bought a second copy of binah (hey, Rainbow Dash, do you live in my neighborhood??) for a friend of mine who's facing challenges in her marriage, and told another friend who's having a hard time dealing with an upheaval to go get it.

Compelling! That's the word I wanted! It's a compelling read. I wish Tikva and her family only happiness..

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 5:38 am
runningmom wrote:
ILOVELIFE wrote:

I think you're lucky- I think anyone who knows this mother is very lucky! Because she does sound like something else, and if I'm not mistaken, I thought (I don't know, maybe it's just me?) that I picked up on hints of a sense of humor. But seriously, I bought a second copy of binah (hey, Rainbow Dash, do you live in my neighborhood??) for a friend of mine who's facing challenges in her marriage, and told another friend who's having a hard time dealing with an upheaval to go get it.

Compelling! That's the word I wanted! It's a compelling read. I wish Tikva and her family only happiness..

I live in Antwerp. Btw. I got it this morning and read the article. Excellent read. But I don't remember what happened in the first part. Someone care to inlighten me?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room