Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Sound of music

fmt4

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:19 pm
What is it about that movie that makes it so magical? As a kid I was obsessed with it, at one point I used to watch it like once a week! Julie Andrews is just so adorable and lovely, you just know she was the most wonderful person. Christopher Plummer is so gorgeous... the kids are so cute and the songs! Every single song is so memorable, I know them all by heart and sing them to my kids like my mom used to sing to me. I haven't watched it in a few years and now it was on tv and I got obsessed all over again. Anyone else share my obsession?

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:28 pm
it's nostalgic for me too ...

raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens ...
these are a few of my favorite things Music

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:33 pm
I loved the original, but the new version that aired a few weeks ago paled in comparison. Carrie Underwood is no Julie Andrews, that's for sure.

I enjoyed listening to my old favorite songs, but it just wasn't the same. The kids weren't even as cute, especially the youngest one (Gretl?).

fmt4

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:36 pm
It wasn't really a new one, it was just a stage production, not even based on the movie script but on the broadway show. I thought it was cute, but obviously no comparison.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:46 pm
oh I wouldn't dare watch that re-make ... I'm sure it pales in comparison

the sound of music was just on the other day ... the original

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:50 pm
fmt4 wrote:
What is it about that movie that makes it so magical? As a kid I was obsessed with it, at one point I used to watch it like once a week! Julie Andrews is just so adorable and lovely, you just know she was the most wonderful person. Christopher Plummer is so gorgeous... the kids are so cute and the songs! Every single song is so memorable, I know them all by heart and sing them to my kids like my mom used to sing to me. I haven't watched it in a few years and now it was on tv and I got obsessed all over again. Anyone else share my obsession?

Love. Favorite movie of all time. Made my husband watch it and be had to admit that he loved it too. Christopher Plummer was so s*xy: loved him and Julie Andrews: what a class act!! Met her some years back and was completely awestruck as I managed to tell her how much I loved her in The Sound of Music. Love.

fmt4

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:51 pm
Wow you got to meet her?? So awesome! I also loved Mary poppins, and even loved her in the princess diaries. She has such a grace about her...

marshmellow

Post Thu, Dec 26 2013, 9:57 pm
Love it but do you know they changed a LOT from the true story?
I watched a programme about it once.
They added a LOT more love/romance to make the film all magical and romantic. In reality she was a very stern authoritative woman and he was the soft one!! They changed the dynamic in the film. There was also much less love between them.

hersheybarkid

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 4:58 am
BEST.FILM.EVER.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 6:29 am
I love it. Unquestioning, beautiful, full of honesty and geniune values and the songs!

No remake could ever better it.

I did read the books by the actual family, fascinating and a completely different story in many eays. They set up a Christian summer camp in the USA somewhere, and ran it for many years, I think. Religion was very important for them. Really interesting family but nothing like the romance of the movie!

Isramom8

Post Fri, Dec 27 2013, 6:32 am
The 2013 televised play was not a remake of the movie. It was a remake of the original Broadway play with Mary Martin. I just found out about it and viewed it on YouTube.

The draw was that a play had not been performed on LIVE TV since Cinderella in 1957.

I found it very dramatic and meaningful. You get a deeper understanding of the whole Nazi theme. I'm so used to the movie from my childhood, and this fresh perspective and more modern acting style had me in tears at a few points in the story.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 12:51 pm
Now YouTube has blocked it.

zigi

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 10:42 pm
my dd is hooked. she loves the songs.

syrima

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 11:20 pm
I am a great fan of it, but it has a bit too much romance for my BY girls, so we got the Jewishized version starring Malki Giniger. She has a great voice, they do almost all the songs but leave out anything too mushy... The songs and acting were great, me and my girls LOVED it!

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 2:51 am
We just watched that movie (again) on motzei shabat. Great film.

I love Julie Andrews's beautiful crystalline voice. And Captain Von Trapp is a hottie Cool . My kids always cringe when that smarmy Baroness comes on screen. And we always laugh when Maria learns the details of her job description: "SEVEN children?!?" We all know so many families with 7+ children, no huge mansion with a housekeeper + butler!

mamaleh

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 6:08 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Now YouTube has blocked it.

It is (or at least was) on HULU

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 6:36 pm
I saw the carrie underwood version on sale at walmart today.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics