Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Visting Whitefield Manchester

joycohen115

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 8:04 pm
HI all!
So my 18 yr old sister and her friend are going to be visiting Whitefield Manchester next week.
My mom is going with them to be with my Grandmother.
They have been constantly fighting about this trip and I'm wondering if anyone can help.
My sis is very worried they will end up staying home all day.
My mother is giving her a very hard time about taking trains or buses, she is saying it is very expensive and not safe.
They are already going to London for a couple of days, taking the train that costs about 150 pounds, way more then a train would cost here. My mom said Taxis are also way more expensive...
My sis wants to do the Segway tour in blackpool but my MOm thinks it may be unsafe and expensive.
My sis doesn't want to be stuck in the house all day so we are trying to find some things that will be a little cheaper and close by.
Can anyone help out with some stuff that teenagers may enjoy? They would obviously like to tour etc and get the most out of being somewhere new.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 10:53 pm
You can use the trains and buses in manchester they are pretty safe.
There is trafford center, city center, a train to london if booked in advance is not 150.

boysrus

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 11:04 pm
I am also surprised to hear about the train prices, if they go off peak time after 9.30amm, it should cost less than 50-60 pounds.

what to do in manchester?.....
They can get a bus directly into 'town' ie manchester city centre. bus is 135 and there are other buses too. lots of shops to explore, Marks and spencer etc.

If they are in the jewish part of whitefield, they can try and get themselves a ride down the road to Philips Park, it is at the end of park lane in whitefield. Nice walking paths. if its girls alone make sure they have a cell phone just in case...

They might like to get hte 135 bus into victoria station and from there get onto the free bus that takes tourists areound manchester. they could get off at MUSI, museum of science and industry. personally my teenagers still find it fascinating, it is not just for kids.

They can get 135 bus to Leicester road the heart of jewish manchester, explore the kosher stores, eat out at brackmans bakery (majorly yummy) or there are other restaruants, I highly recomeend milky dream on bury new road.

I wish I had more ideas, but I have not been living in manchester for almost ten years now althouh we have been back to visit.
if I think of anything else I will add it

I hope htey have a great time!

boysrus

Post Sat, Dec 28 2013, 11:08 pm
Another great park is Heaton Park, in Prestwich. it is huge , petting farm, nice walks, busier on a sunday than during the weekdays.

not sure about blackpool.
Oh! I had a brainwave!!!
Send her to Liverpool, they can get a train to Liverpool Lime street from Manchester victoria station I think (look it up online), I am guessing it is about 12-15 quid per person.
From the station, they shuold follow walking directions to albert docks (about 10 minute walk through the shopping district). Amazing museums there, they will love it, I have never met anyone who did not enjoy it, from age 7 through adult..

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 1:02 am
Just to add to what the previous posters have said ~

Booked in advance, the train is substantially cheaper. Prices fall dramatically if you are travelling mid-late morning. Have a look at thetrainline.com
I just did a quick search for journeys from M/c to London, and came up with a fare of £24.

All (I'm almost certain) museums are free. We love the science museum too. You can really get a feel for the city by touring the different museums.

Personally I would avoid public transport at night, but during the day it's fine. My teenage daughters were in Manchester this past summer and took the bus into town, on my recommendation. IIRC the 135 goes right to Marks and Spencer! It also passes 'The Fort' shopping centre.

returnedtothetree

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 3:29 am
They are going to discover the wonders of the 135 bus line
Take it in the direction away from town to the last stop and they will get to bury shopping center which has a different vibe to center of town shopping.
On the way in to town it also stops at the print works which is a big cinema and opposite is a football museum and lots of shops.
Others have recomended the Trafford center but there is no good public transport to get there.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 10:52 am
returnedtothetree wrote:
They are going to discover the wonders of the 135 bus line
Take it in the direction away from town to the last stop and they will get to bury shopping center which has a different vibe to center of town shopping.
On the way in to town it also stops at the print works which is a big cinema and opposite is a football museum and lots of shops.
Others have recomended the Trafford center but there is no good public transport to get there.
You take the metro line towards Altrincham and at one of the stops there is a connection shuttle (5mins) to trafford.
There are also several bus routes that go there especially in the South manchester part of town.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Dec 29 2013, 7:15 pm
As others said, I definitely won't find public transportation expensive or dangerous.
There is also a very impressive aquarium, which is not free of charge, but often 2-for-1 offer on Tesco cards or vouchers on cereal box. There is also a branch of Imperial War Museum, and the old Spanish & Portuguese synagogue has been converted to a (smallish) Jewish museum. You can do a canal tour from Salford (though not sure if they're open in winter). There are also many mansions worth visiting but would require a car, and not sure if a typical teenager is interested in historical buildings and gardens...

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 1:44 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
There are also many mansions worth visiting but would require a car, and not sure if a typical teenager is interested in historical buildings and gardens...
my kids must be atypical then Wink
There are two things we MUST (as dictated by the teenagers) do on our trips to Manchester - M&S and Tatton Park! I guess it's because the place holds such fond memories.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics