Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Fill the Void?
1  2  Next

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 8:15 am
Did anyone here see the Israeli Film "Fill the Void"?

I finally got it from Netflix and watched it last night and want someone to discuss it with!!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 8:23 am
great movie.
there were a few threads on here about this movie already.

I really enjoyed the movie a lot, except the last scene.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 8:54 am
Right this is what I am confused about.
What is the last scene supposed to mean??? That she was faking and truly didnt want to marry him?

bestmomever

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 9:01 am
It's just a very true to life ending. Shirt being the sheltered girl who she is, is acting exactly as any very chassidish girl does when she arrives home from her wedding. She had mixed feelings all along, and it ended with that too. Gosh I loved that film

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 9:05 am
Mirabelle wrote:
Right this is what I am confused about.
What is the last scene supposed to mean??? That she was faking and truly didnt want to marry him?
not at all, but that she was frightened of the unknown.
I didnt like the ending but it was extremely realistic.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 9:23 am
I guess I was taken aback by the juxtaposition of the fact that Yochay was so calm and she looked scared to death like he was going to eat her.

Tapuzi

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 9:32 am
My mom had an interesting perspective on the final scene. She felt Shira was actually scared of her own desire/ feelings, by how much she wanted him.

acccdac

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 9:37 am
Tapuzi wrote:
My mom had an interesting perspective on the final scene. She felt Shira was actually scared of her own desire/ feelings, by how much she wanted him.

I kind of like that, makes the movie more acceptable/realistic/not weird to me

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 10:34 am
acccdac wrote:
I kind of like that, makes the movie more acceptable/realistic/not weird to me

That is a very interesting perspective.

Shuly

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 10:40 am
What I didn't understand was if they were at home or in the yichud room. If they were at home, shouldn't she be more calm since they already had time together in the yichud room?

I felt like they only ended it here to ensure that people would discuss the movie!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 10:57 am
I don't get it. Are those men REAL men? I didn't watch it just saw saw some clips

Peanut2

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 11:45 am
Tapuzi wrote:

That's what I thought as well.

Maybe I just see zex everywhere, but I found the movie to have a lot of it. There was this zexual tension that grows between them IMO. And I thought she found that confusing and overwhelming.

kjb

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 11:48 am
By coincidence I had just watched the movie before logging into imamother and finding this thread! And I have to say I absolutely LOVED it! I didn't find the ending disturbing - I found it thought provokingly ambiguous. My read of it is this: yes Shira does grow to want him - it's his honesty particularly that attracts her ( remember when she's having a beshow with the young man and she says the kind of home she wants would not have any lies in it? That's what Yochay offers her) Wanting him frightens her - she is appalled at the idea of desiring her own sister's husband even though she knows that marrying him is the right thing to do for the whole family. When she tells Yochay she is afraid of dying because she is 'evil', that's what she means. When she writes to the rebbe she asks him to order her to close her heart, it's this feeling she wants it closed to. The rebbe, being wise, takes the opposite approach. Of course in the yichud room, she is apprehensive - this is guilt inducing intimacy she has been fearing. But how can we possibly think this marriage between these two lovely, thoughtful, honest, committed and mutually desiring people can be anything other than a glorious success?

I found two reviews of it on line, both excellent:http://www.theguardian.com/fil.....eview and http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05.....?_r=0

marina

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 12:42 pm
This movie just happened in real life. The Vizhnitzer Rebbe's son is engaged to his deceased wife's sister, just a month after his wife died in childbirth.

I think I'll start a separate thread.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
I don't get it. Are those men REAL men? I didn't watch it just saw saw some clips
What do you mean by real men? Real chassidim? Or real actors? They are not real chassidim, they are actors.

eschaya

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 6:17 pm
Liked the movie but like many of you I found the ending unerving.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 6:20 pm
is there anywhere I can watch it online for free?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 6:42 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What do you mean by real men? Real chassidim? Or real actors? They are not real chassidim, they are actors.

How do they look so real chassidish with a beard?? Well done!

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:

Ever seen hipsters in Williamsburg?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 1:21 am
amother wrote:
Its called acting Wink
There are many such movies with religious jews or chasiddim that have the actors looking real. There was a chassidic soap opera in israel called shtisel. go take a look. they all look like real chasiddim. its good acting and good wardrobe for the actors.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics