Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Whats the reason for wrapping/ covering food?

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 1:50 pm
So I cover my food like all of u when it's put into the fridge. But sometimes when I can't be bothered w/h ceram wrap I use tinfoil, a plate and when I'm really rushing a shopping bag. Is that ok? And why besides smelling up the fridge, (freezer I understand but fridge especiallly if we will be eating it later) do we even need to cover? Mind my ignorance Tongue Out

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 2:24 pm
I find that covering the food makes it last longer. I know the difference becase my mom never covered her food and I do nad I see the difference

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 2:46 pm
It dries up and also to prevent spills.

imaamy

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 6:20 pm
What if you had an uncovered meat dish and some milk or milk product spilled in it?

Tefila

Post Mon, May 23 2005, 6:23 pm
Well doesn't one put it one end of the fridge anyways. I'm talking more about salads and stuff though?

sarahd

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 1:09 am
To prevent smell and taste transfers. It would be a pity if your chocolate mousse tasted like cole slaw, wouldn't it?

elisecohen

Post Tue, May 24 2005, 11:17 am
First, there are things that dry out due to our modern fridge's frost-free feature which dehumidifies the air. Second, I was taught that some foods--cooked eggs and water are the ones I think of--can attract ruach hara if they're left uncovered overnight, though I'm not sure if just being in the closed fridge itself might count as covering.

queen

Post Tue, May 31 2005, 6:27 am
funny, I was just thinking this same question this week.... and tried not covering my lettuce (undressed in a bowl) and found it dried up by the next day. So no more leaving THAT uncovered!

and then I had cut up some carrot/celery sticks, which I also tried leaving uncovered two days ago... but thought they'd get dried out- so I guess I'm back to covering again!

btw, ruach haroa DOES get in to the fridge, so 'those' stuff should be covered.

you can buy shower caps meant to cover food. really handy and easy to use. I began saving shower caps as well from traveling/hotels and use them just the same. (no..... not USED shower caps, don't worry!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen