Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
ISO educational/thinking toy recommendations for 2.5 yr old
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 7:21 pm
Anon because I've also asked people IRL.

My mil gave us just over $100 for DS's birthday to buy him a gift. A month later we were due to move far away and also I was expecting so I asked her if I could buy him something once we moved. So...6 months and one new baby later (and also having to relocate twice in that time), I still haven't bought a gift and have no clue what to spend it on.

He already has lots of cars and other regular toys as well as some leap frog/v-tech things.

Originally I was going to use the money to buy a lot of cheaper items but b"H he already has a nice-sized collection of toys and I obviously don't want to spoil him. Besides, if we've been given this amount to spend, I'd rather use it to invest in something that he can use for a long time.

He loves building things (we already have duplo and mega blocks) and thinking/trying to figure things out, so I want to get either something that would encourage that (just not $100 worth of puzzles obviously!) or else some other educational type of thing. Because it's for his birthday, it has to be something that he can use now.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Sherri

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 7:25 pm
Something like Clics?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 7:39 pm
MagnaTiles

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 7:56 pm
Manga tiles are amazingly popular and expensive. He will enjoy them now but they will grow with him and get even better well into the future.

Play dough things are also fun for this age but won't use up nearly $100

amother

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 8:05 pm
gears
marble run
train tracks

granolamom

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 8:43 pm
another vote for magna tiles

amother

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 9:50 pm
Thanks for the suggestions.

I really wanted to get him clics because in the long term, they seem to have more room for creativity, but their website says it's suitable for age 4+. I need my MIL to see him playing with them now.

I looked into magnatiles and really like the fact that they're a very different type of building toy, but I feel like long-term he'll be much more limited in what he can make with them. Am I wrong?

The other suggestions: I bought a huge set of gears for him, but they'll only really be age appropriate in a couple of years. I also looked into train tracks, but it's really pricey for the amount that you're getting.

Keep the ideas coming!!

granolamom

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 11:18 pm
Do you already have a nice set of blocks? They aren't cheap but they last for a really long time. my boys still play with them (ages 6,10,12).

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 11:26 pm
I have this train set and it's very popular with toddlers and up. It actually is a nice size set and the quality is great. http://www.justkidsstore.com/p.....mkApw

amother

Post Tue, Dec 31 2013, 11:41 pm
What about kapla. They look like regular rectangle blocks without any magnets, but because of the way they're balanced you can build amazing things with them.

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 12:48 am
blocks like kapla is a great idea and you can also do this:

http://www.amazon.com/Educatio.....2O42W

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 1:17 am
I wouldn't go with kapla for a two year old. If you want to do blocks, I would do traditional colored wood blocks of different shapes.

shofar

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:19 am
I just ordered Wedgits for my two year old. he loves them and they are great for thinking and building

http://www.amazon.com/WEDGiTS-.....dgits

SivanMom

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:38 am
Our Magnatiles are the only toy that all four of my children (ages 3 - 7) play with regularly. I don't even put them away day to day, because they just get pulled out first thing the next morning anyway.
I would also recommend train tracks.
Clics are too hard for a 2 1/2 year old.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 3:27 am
How about a really nice easel and some paints and art supplies?

fruitsalad

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 8:56 am
Another vote for Magna tiles!!! I got it as a gift when my son was about 18months and it really is amazing! The older he gets he is more creative what to build. A real life saver

amother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 9:49 am
Thanks Ladies!
It really sounds like magnatiles are the way to go. But what can kids make with them other than houses and cubes? That's all I've really seen kids make with them.
Also, is the 32 piece set enough or should I get the 100 piece set?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 10:09 am
Get the 100. Look around for the right website + coupon and you can sometimes get them within $100. There's also one knockoff brand people like but I don't remember which one (the others are DISliked) so search imamother old threads for that. Then you can get 100 without overspending your gift.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 1:34 pm
Another vote for Magna tiles. I bought mine about 3 years ago when my children were ages 1 - 4. they loved it then. Now they are 2 - 7 and all of them still love it. I think is my most played with toy. You can build in so many ways. the 2 year old stacks and sorts while the 7 year old builds more complex and tall structures (I have 200 pieces).

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 4:17 pm
I like the wooden train set idea ... or the art easel

another thought you can buy a radio flyer red tricycle ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics