Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Im a special ed preschool teacher, ask me anything!
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:17 pm
I've never heard of excessive force being associated with ear fluid. Balance problems alone could be but in combination with the things you describe it practically screams sensory under-responsiveness

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:25 pm
The bumping in can definitely be from ear fluid.
My child had that.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter is 2 and has Down syndrome. At this point our plan is full inclusion in the same school my other girls go to. I know it will be an uphill battle. I do have teaching experience and I've done curriculum development so I have some idea for how to modify things for her level. the biggest challenge is ATTITUDE and getting people to believe that she CAN handle it (with support) and that it won't be "taking anything away" from other students or overburdening the teacher to have her in the class. and I do NOT want her with a shadow who is literally a shadow and keeps her apart and doesn't let her interact normally with the class.

We are in the same situation. My daughter is 3.5. Agreed that the hardest part is getting over people's fears and misconceptions and constantly underrating what she can do. We always treated her just like her siblings and so far she's lived up to our expectations. What makes it harder is that we recently moved out of nyc where services are less and fewer options for Jewish education.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:04 pm
seeker wrote:
Being pregnant makes most things harder and being a preschool teacher takes lots of energy. I have no idea how they do it but I've seen quite a few pull it off well. It's important to have good co-teachers who can help balance the workload. And don't bother keeping it a secret from them, you need the teamwork.

Do you have any hints or tips? My biggest fear is just leaving a baby that's a few weeks old! My next is figuring out how to breastfeed while working a full day... Any suggestions? What did you do?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have any hints or tips? My biggest fear is just leaving a baby that's a few weeks old! My next is figuring out how to breastfeed while working a full day... Any suggestions? What did you do?
Wink

I've done it. Pregnant, tiny newborn, pumping. Not easy😬 Basically just collapse when I got home. But it is doable. If u tell me more specifically ur concerns I can give more focused tops😀

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 7:17 am
amother wrote:
Wink

I've done it. Pregnant, tiny newborn, pumping. Not easy😬 Basically just collapse when I got home. But it is doable. If u tell me more specifically ur concerns I can give more focused tops😀

I'm nervous that I will have a really difficult time leaving my little one! I hate the thought that someone else will be spending more time with my child than me. Especially at just 1.5/2 months old!!

I'm also concerned about how I will find a time and place to pump at work. I don't yet have a job for the coming year so I don't know what my work situation will be like but I'm preparing for the worst just in case. What if I have no brreaks during the day? What if there's no room where I can go to privately pump? How many times did you end up pumping at work and how did that work out for you?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
I'm nervous that I will have a really difficult time leaving my little one! I hate the thought that someone else will be spending more time with my child than me. Especially at just 1.5/2 months old!!

I'm also concerned about how I will find a time and place to pump at work. I don't yet have a job for the coming year so I don't know what my work situation will be like but I'm preparing for the worst just in case. What if I have no brreaks during the day? What if there's no room where I can go to privately pump? How many times did you end up pumping at work and how did that work out for you?

look, its never easy to leave a newborn. that goes for any job. it is very sad, but its unfortunately part of life for a lot of people. finding a babysitter who I trust was amazing. I feel confident that my baby is getting warmth and love. I do call often when they are newborns. and try to give a ot of attention when nursing at home (try not to be on the phone etc)
regarding pumping, again not so easy but very doable if u are motivated. by law your workplace needs to provide u with a place to pump with a door that has a lock and is not a bathroom. but realistically I ended up pumping in the bathroom a lot. its not fun but I just brought a chair in and did what I had to do. I bh get a lot o milk, so although I had some time periods when I needed to pump twice, I mostly only pumped once a day. speak to ur boss about when to go out and pump. you are legally allowed time to pump. I bh successfully pumped/nursed exclusively.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Jul 23 2016, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
look, its never easy to leave a newborn. that goes for any job. it is very sad, but its unfortunately part of life for a lot of people. finding a babysitter who I trust was amazing. I feel confident that my baby is getting warmth and love. I do call often when they are newborns. and try to give a ot of attention when nursing at home (try not to be on the phone etc)
regarding pumping, again not so easy but very doable if u are motivated. by law your workplace needs to provide u with a place to pump with a door that has a lock and is not a bathroom. but realistically I ended up pumping in the bathroom a lot. its not fun but I just brought a chair in and did what I had to do. I bh get a lot o milk, so although I had some time periods when I needed to pump twice, I mostly only pumped once a day. speak to ur boss about when to go out and pump. you are legally allowed time to pump. I bh successfully pumped/nursed exclusively.

Thank you for calming my nerves even just a little and giving me the courage to give this a try!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics