Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO diet vegetable kugel

chaya35

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 3:41 pm
Can you please post your diet vegetable kugel specifically for cauliflower, squash and brocolli. No mayonnaise and preferably with egg whites or little eggs.

nosher

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 4:54 pm
Do you have the Enlitened cookbook? There is an excellent zucchini kugel recipe. I made it last night using cauliflower. Delish

chaya35

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 5:14 pm
nosher wrote:
Do you have the Enlitened cookbook? There is an excellent zucchini kugel recipe. I made it last night using cauliflower. Delish

I don't have that cookbook can you please post the recipe. Thanks.

sarachana

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 7:00 pm
I know you didnt mention it but how about cabbage kugel?

nosher

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 7:05 pm
Oops, didn't see the no mayo part. The recipe calls for 2 T light mayo. Would you like me to submit it?

chaya35

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 8:00 pm
nosher wrote:
Oops, didn't see the no mayo part. The recipe calls for 2 T light mayo. Would you like me to submit it?

Yes. Thanks.

chaya35

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 8:02 pm
sarachana wrote:
I know you didnt mention it but how about cabbage kugel?

Interested in any diet/low fat kugel.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 8:13 pm
I make a broccoli-cauliflower dish that's not exactly kugel, but I use it as a "lazy" kugel substitute. Got the idea from a recipe on overtimecook.com that I changed around.

Combine about half a bag each frozen broccoli and cauliflower. I like to use broccoli cuts and mini cauliflower florets; I guess for a more kugely texture use chopped broccoli. Total a little over 1 lb.
Toss with 2 T olive oil, 1 tsp salt (or a little more, to taste), 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper.
Add 1/3 - 1/2 c. whole wheat breadcrumbs, toss to coat.
Add 3 beaten egg whites, toss again.
Lightly grease a 9x13 pan (with olive oil). Pour mixture in and press down so it's all a little smashed together. Spray top with a little more olive oil.
Bake uncovered at 400 for around 40 minutes or until it feels soft with a fork-poke. Aim for crisp top and soft inside.
Serve as if it's kugel, hot or warm. Reheats fine for Shabbos day.

chaya35

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:33 am
any other recipes?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:12 pm
you are better off with just eating another salad or steamed vegetables. or a veg soup.

chaya35

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 5:35 pm
Would really love a fat free cauliflower, broccolli or squash kugel receipe.

nosher

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 6:57 pm
Zucchini Kugel from Enlitened Kosher Cooking:

1 small onion, peeled
6 Large zucchini, peeled
2 whole eggs plus 3 egg whites, beaten
2 T soy or regular flour
2 T light mayonnaise
1 (8 oz) C sliced mushrooms, drained
1 T fresh dill, chopped
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 9x13 inch pan with baking paper. Chop onion with knife attachment in food processor until very fine. Switch to the grating disc and grate zucchinis. Squeeze well in a colander to drain all excess water.

Transfer to a mixing bowl. By hand, mix in the beaten eggs, flour and mayonnaise. Combine. Add the mushrooms and dill. Season with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spray the top with non-stick spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until top begins to turn golden. Lower heat to 350F and bake for an additional 4-60 minutes, until firm.

Variation:
Substitute frozen broccoli or cauliflower for the zucchini. First defrost and squeeze out excess water. These vegetables can then be chopped with the onion. Transfer to a mixing bowl and continue as above. With this variation, the mushroom and the dill are optional.

(Disclosure: I always skip the mushrooms and dill.)

chaya35

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 7:32 pm
anyone one else I'm still looking for low fat cauliflower, squash or broccoli kugel preferable without or little flour, oil & mayonnaise just egg whites.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:27 pm
chaya35 wrote:
anyone one else I'm still looking for low fat cauliflower, squash or broccoli kugel preferable without or little flour, oil & mayonnaise just egg whites.
You can saute diced onion and crushed garlic in oil spray until fragrant.
Add a 1 1/2 lb. bag of thawed and drained frozen vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, etc), or with sliced zucchini, and continue sauteeing. Season very very generously with salt and pepper.
Mix with about 6-8 egg whites.
Pour into 8" square pan and bake about 45 minutes.

chaya35

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:50 pm
Thanks ra-mom do you mash the vegetable once cooked? Is there anything you can do with so many egg yolks?

SS6099

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:02 pm
Make a custard with all those yolks and freeze for later use...

forever21

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 10:30 pm
yup that'll go well with the DIET kugel LOL

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:29 pm
chaya35 wrote:
Thanks ra-mom do you mash the vegetable once cooked? Is there anything you can do with so many egg yolks?
Whether of not you mash is personal preference in textures.
Like ss6066 said you can make custard, chocolate cream, chocolate spread... But those are all fattening LOL

SS6099

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 6:53 am
Some people cook differently for themselves but won't deprive the rest of the family.....
And note about smashing the veggies- they tend to be a tad watery when smashed but everyone by me enjoys it more that way. But as RA mentioned, personal preference. (I just figured I'll add my $.02...)

CatLady

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 3:47 pm
I buy the cartons of egg whites, at any supermarket or even Costco. It's a lot easier than separating eggs, and much less expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes