Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Polar vortex
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 5:53 pm
Chocolate Chips, don't forget your raincoats!

BabsB

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 6:16 pm
A friend in a nearby neighborhood had the plumber out (also no water in the the house). He said the frozen line had to be in the yard. Nothing to do but wait it out! *grumble grumble*

I'm guessing that must be my case too. I've been blasting hot air on the pipes all day to no avail. Sad

Now I'm just praying we don't have a burst anywhere when this is all said and done!

***Come on remodeling, hurry up... I would really like my PEX piping please!***

We have advisories in effect until noon tomorrow. How about everybody else?

busydev

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 6:26 pm
todays high was -12F not counting the wind chill factor which brought it down 25 degrees or so.
tomorrows forcasted high is I think -9F. winds tonight to -45F.

its cold.

I went to work cause its about a 3 minute walk away (thank hashem for my landsend commuter coat). dh's second seder was cancelled so he was able to stay home with the kids the afternoon and I went in late (thankfully I work for the yeshiva and they are understanding... esp since our car wont start.... )

no schools are open here. waiting to hear what the deal will be tomorrow.

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 6:50 pm
JDBY and YTT have a 9:30 late start.

Arie Crown, Gesher, and Hillel Torah are closed.

BHJCC as of now is open (waiting on confirmation).

Waiting to hear from high schools.

busydev

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 9:35 pm
thanks. so then I guess I should call ds's playgroup morah and see when shes starting. prob gonna be 9:30 cuz her kids go there and she based the schedule off of jdby's.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 12:22 am
HSBY has no school tomorrow either

BabsB

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 4:57 pm
My whole house just gurgled and now I have water!

Now it's time to get my stinky behind off the computer and into the shower!

*Really, weirdly excited about having running water again*

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 5:07 pm
BabsB wrote:
My whole house just gurgled and now I have water!

Now it's time to get my stinky behind off the computer and into the shower!

*Really, weirdly excited about having running water again*

BTDT, not weird at all!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 5:25 pm
if anybody cares ... the electric went out ... the furnace off ... the water frozen ...

thankfully the electric went back on - the furnace back on or we were going to move into marina's house [hoping a monday morning invite would be fine for 6 am tuesday]

found out why we had no water is that the pipes froze & broke ... I'm busy blow drying & draining my pipes & I had to wear 2 sweatshirts + gloves + sweatpants under the clothes ... just so I could be in the basement ...

we can't flush the toilet & cannot make hot soup

-8°F with wind chill FEELS LIKE: -35°F

boruch Hashem we have a roof over our heads & a pot to piss in Cool

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 8:18 pm
owning a blowtorch sure came in handy - soldered a new copper pipe ... called the city to replace the cracked water meter ...

& went from 'no water no flush' to 'you can poop if you want to' Music

[go ahead & sing that tune]

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 11:42 am
Greenfire I actually did sing it in a tune LOL

We are going away today and even though it is meant to be warmer this week we are leaving the heating on a low temp just in case.
DH wanted to leave a tap running all the time because we don't pay water :-p but I said it is not nice Smile

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 12:31 pm
we're having a heatwave - it's 20°F

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 12:33 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
Greenfire I actually did sing it in a tune LOL

glad to hear

chocolate chips wrote:

DH wanted to leave a tap running all the time because we don't pay water :-p but I said it is not nice Smile

does somebody else pay water ?

so long as the temps are not so low as earlier this week - it should be okay - otherwise they do suggest to leave a pencil thin drip to prevent frozen pipes

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 12:58 pm
My landlord pays the water.

Here is hoping that when we get back from a nice and warm UK (at 40F) it will not be 10F here again.
Thing is my landlord is downstairs and using the water and has her heat on so there really is a low low low low risk of frozen pipes.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 9:24 am
okay it's freaking freezing again ... as in single digits with negative wind chill factor ...

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 9:36 am
oh & I can't make a fire because I think there's a bird in the chimney ...

fly fly fly away ...

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 10:17 am
Yeah, it's one thing to break the record of -1 for this day in history. But to break it by 11 degrees?
Last night I had to stand outside for a minute and I closed my eyes and imagined. A hot, summer day, the kind I find really miserable and enervating. That goes into the night, with no relief, like maybe a low of 91. I can't say I felt warmer but I wonder if I'll remember last night if we do have one of those nights this summer. (And it seems mindboggling to live somewhere where our coldest winter night can be 115+ degrees colder than our hottest summer day. And to be facing this weather in late Feb./early March.)

Last edited by PinkFridge on Fri, Feb 28 2014, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 28 2014, 10:25 am
never fear - the kitties found the birdy ... & I got him out to safety

open windows - open doors ... 'twas like the spring

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 9:39 am
B"H, not a full-blown vortex coming our way but it will be 2 degrees tonight. After a few tantalizing days of not just breaking freezing but flirting with 50. With a good part - but nowhere near all - of the snow melting. Now, with today's projected 6+ inches we'll be close to breaking the record for this region. (As a weather guy just said, and if we don't break the record, hey, it's only mid-March. And the host said: we tried to get Old Man Winter and Mother Nature on the show today but they were just laughing too hard.)

Should warm up for Purim somewhat, be"H.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 8:10 pm
we were flirting with spring yesterday as well ... today god was laughing

although sonny boy thought it was a government conspiracy as he brings a handful of snow that looked like tiny styrofoam ballies - I kid you not
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics