Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Anyone doing Apartment Therapy's January cure??
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 10:03 am
Anyone else?

I would love to have someone to talk about it with. (I'm anon because might reveal embarrassing details about my house!)

The first assignment, for this weekend, is to mop/vacuum every floor in your house. That's a very big job by me. Kinda dreading it. But it really needs doing. I will admit that I haven't mopped my upstairs since last Nissan (except the bathroom). My dining room and living room have probably been 6 months. The kitchen does get mopped regularly though, and is looking pretty good. Applause

http://www.apartmenttherapy.co.....0post

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
The first assignment, for this weekend, is to mop/vacuum every floor in your house.

& it's not even pesach ...

amother

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 11:45 am
Well, I'm hoping the January cure will get me in good shape for Pesach. For the first time ever! Cheers Here's to a panic-free Nissan!!!!!!!!!!!!

little_mage

Post Fri, Jan 03 2014, 11:48 am
Sounds interesting. I'd love to do it, but I don't think it's practical right now-I know there's no way I can get the floors cleaned up and mopped this weekend. DH is away until Sunday night, so I'm home with an infant and a toddler. Although maybe I can enlist the toddler-I've been really bad about that...

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 6:16 am
Enjoy your babies, Little Mage! I wish I could go back in time and enjoy all the cozy snuggling. Hug Don't worry about cleaning at all while they're little!

zigi

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 6:46 am
I need to do this, I need to get all the playmobil off the floors first

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 8:49 am
Go Zigi!! Thumbs Up

I've got a similar issue with Lego. DH is going to take the kids for a few hours and I'm going to try to clean up and mop my dining room, living room, and kitchen. I'm realizing the upstairs isn't going to happen, but that's okay. My main floor will be quite a job as it is.

Feeling really unmotivated because it's such a big job.

Will post back here when done! Smile

little_mage

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Enjoy your babies, Little Mage! I wish I could go back in time and enjoy all the cozy snuggling. Hug Don't worry about cleaning at all while they're little!

Aw, thanks. But it's bad enough that I worry about tripping when I'm carrying the little ones, and that's not a good thing at all...

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:58 am
I don't mean this rudely, I'm genuinely curious.

Does it not bother you/your husband/your kids to live with dirty floors?

Do you ever have guests over?

I apologize if this sounds rude, I really don't mean it like that.

little_mage

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 11:06 am
oliveoil wrote:
I don't mean this rudely, I'm genuinely curious.

Does it not bother you/your husband/your kids to live with dirty floors?

Do you ever have guests over?

I apologize if this sounds rude, I really don't mean it like that.

No, it's fine. My husband doesn't care and my kids are too young to notice it. I do, but there doesn't always seem to be time or motivation. I have noticed that part of my problem is that it builds up and then I feel too overwhelmed to tackle it-so it just gets worse. And we very seldom have guests over. When we do, we usually spend at least an hour cleaning up beforehand. I find it frustrating, but especially since I don't have a lot of support from DH, it seems like this is what it is for now. Of course, I'm also annoyed with the resignation I sense within myself, but that may just be my way of making me feel better.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:12 pm
OP here. Oliveoil, we have guests every week, believe it or not! We have wood floors which hide the dirt pretty well. I don't think it's obvious that they haven't been mopped in so long. I sweep pretty often.

I'm currently working on my living room. I have Kosef Karduner blasting, and I've promised myself some gourmet caramels when I finish. Ugh it's quite a job!!! I keep noticing that the walls need wiping down and everything needs dusting, but I'm forcing myself to ignore all that for now.

Little Mage, I have a DH like yours, who doesn't care. He warned me before we got married that he's a piler, and he sure wasn't kidding!

ChutzPAh

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:19 pm
You really haven't mopped your upstairs in 8 months??!!!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:20 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:

Guess you can't identify with some of the rest of us.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:37 pm
Quote:

Just curious, what would you consider a normal/acceptable stretch of time between moppings?

P.S. Keep in mind I have no cleaning help, work full time, and have ka"h a messy husband and kids.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:39 pm
Amother and little_mage, thanks for answering so honestly. I find it interesting.

Hatzlacha!

And enjoy the caramels when you're done.

sneakermom

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:56 pm
Two thoughts to help with the overwhelmed feeling. One is starting is the hardest part. Once you start and get going at it it's easier to continue. The second thought is that every little bit counts. So maybe you can't get to all the floors but the ones you do clean will be fresh and nice.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Just curious, what would you consider a normal/acceptable stretch of time between moppings?

P.S. Keep in mind I have no cleaning help, work full time, and have ka"h a messy husband and kids.

I am not this anonymous poster but I wouldn't go more than a week between mopping. In dire circumstances 2 weeks for non-urgent rooms (like bedrooms).

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 1:58 pm
How do you have the time to do it so frequently? How long does it take you?

faigie

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 2:55 pm
I just read this post and clicked on the link. My 2 cents worth.
--------The website is making this WAY more difficult then it should be.
I f you want to start a habit of cleaning ur floors, then just clean the dern things without going insane and making urself pick up everything in sight. This kind of perfectionism is enough to scare off anyone.
--------AND she wants you to get earth friendly cleaners??? P-lease! Get urself a cleaner that you like to smell. If you like the smell ur more likely to use the stuff.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 5:04 pm
OP here. Living room floor is done. Stairs are done. DH is actually steam-cleaning the couches as we speak! I dusted the end tables and moved the plants into the kitchen and sprayed them with my sink sprayer. They're drying now. My children are driving me absolutely nuts though. Bedtime cannot come soon enough. Will tackle the rest of the downstairs when they're in bed IYH.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics