Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Customized photo books for parnassah

mra01385

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 1:10 pm
If I created customized photobooks, calendars, collages etc. through online photo websites, would people be interested in purchasing them?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 1:15 pm
what would you be doing that the person couldn't do? They would already have to pick out the pictures etc. You would be doing the layout?

cs1

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 1:19 pm
Honestly, I dont think so. There are so many sites online (shutterfly, snapfish etc.) That have great deals and make these things for really cheap.
If you found a company to work for, that would be ideal.
Dealing with frum people in the graphic designing world is a huge pain ("just one more change...etc..)
Ftr, im a graphic designer.

mra01385

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 1:52 pm
I know there are many websites that create photo products, but there are not many people who know how to use them, or have the patience to create photo projects. So the customer would give me the pictures via cd, email etc. and I would create a photo project for them using a photo website. So I would charge for the book, and extra for my labor.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 2:05 pm
The online sites have options for them to create the books for you. They use software to match up pictures that look like they belong together, etc. It isn't perfect but with a couple of minutes you can easily tweak it. I can't see anyone paying for your service.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 2:10 pm
I agree that I don't see much of a market for it. There are so many online sites that are so easy to use -- and as MaBelleVie said, some will even put the pictures in for you. The only thing I can think of is if you live in an area where many people do not have internet access, so they can't do it themselves. But even in that situation, so many have indirect access (at work, at a friend or relatives house, etc.), that I can't imagine there will be enough interest to build a real parnassah out of it.

little_mage

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 2:10 pm
I would be really careful if you're thinking of using one of the online sites. It may be illegal for you to use their programs for profit.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 2:20 pm
I think signing up long term clients for Heritage Makers would make you a lot more money than creating individual books for people using someone else's system (which may or may not be legal). You'd be creating residual monthly income rather than one shot profits.

Leverage your time. How many books could YOU personally create this month? Fewer than 10. But if you sign up 15 new monthly clients this month who are all creating their own and you're gaining residual income that goes up each month, that's easier in my opinion.

nyer1

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 4:20 pm
Unfortunately I don't think you coul compete with shutter fly or snapfish. Their prices really are so low and they have a pretty solid customer base and reputation

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 8:21 pm
Actually, if you live in an area where ppl aren't all that internet savvy, and you're going ot focus on chassan or kallah childhood albums- there is certainly a market for that. Especially since these ppl are using photos from before digital days and they have to be scanned in. Remember, anyone on this site is already somewhat intent svvy, but plenty of ppl in BP, Monssey, Willi,...are not.I know because as a graphic designer- I've done a few. I've worked mostly in photoshop because of all the psukima nd Hebrew words they wanted- even though if you look you'll probably find a Hebrew-enabled version of shutterfly, etc,...

Nevertheless, I only did it for family as it is very time consuming and dealing with ppl and their changing minds- remember this is soooo important to htem at this time- can entail many hours of changes, etc.

If I would decide to do it for others, I would offer a few templates for each page with just a few customized spreads, and prepare a very specific contract- nice but firm.

If it doesn't require much investment on your part, maybe it is worth a try. I wouldn't pay for advertisng, though

FTr, I wouldn't do such albums for my own kids. don't believe in it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers