Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Tu Bishvat Alone

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 6:24 pm
My Dh is gonna be in NY during Tu bishvat and and im gonna be alone with 4 kids ages 4 till 9. Any ideas on how to make it fun for the kids and how I should plan everything.

Thanks

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:34 pm
What do you usually do that would make this different?

black and white

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:54 pm
Our Tu Bishvat tradition is a lot of fun
We buy all kinds of exotic fruit (or whatever you can find locally) and I make a chocolate fondue which the kids love dipping all the fruits in it. With any leftover fondue we dip pretzels or marshmallows as well

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 6:24 am
Fruit party.

My friend makes pictures out of the different colored fruit leather with her children and then they eat them. You could do that with cut up fruit, or find some other games to play, or plant some seedlings or bulbs, or indoor herbs and watch them grow over the next few weeks. Lots of fun stuff to do if you have the time/ inclination.

Or you could get more serious and have a proper Tu Bshvat seder.

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 5:03 pm
Bump

myself

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 5:28 pm
Why don't you just do what you usually would? Perhaps if you explain your 'usual' we can help to make it more fun.

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 5:41 pm
Usual I guess is having the kids sit around the table and serve the fruits. The thing is that the kids come home at 4 30 and 5 30. Should I make a fruity dinner or regular dinner and afterwards make the fruit party?

I guess my question is how can I make it more fun for the kids?

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 3:40 pm
saw this, thought it interesting

http://www.chabad.org/theJewis.....s.htm

myself

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 4:26 pm
Do you serve the fruit in a specific order? Perhaps let each child choose what should be served next and let them serve it. Or if you do have an order then perhaps give each child a chance to guess what comes next. Then they can sing all the Tu Bishvat songs they learnt in school.

If your family likes marzipan they might like shaping their own fruits in different colours. You can also involve them in setting up the table in a pretty way with serviettes, perhaps using strips of fruit leather as serviette rings.

For a fruity menu you might like to serve fruit soup, followed by pineapple chicken with a side dish and a fruity veg salad using lettuce, pomegranate, kiwi etc. and perhaps some cashews, with the rest of the fruits for dessert.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 4:42 pm
I have fun every year. I buy different dried fruits: nuts: exotic fruits and decorate it- making flowers on skewers.... Last year I made 2 layer jello with fruits inside.

abaker

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 7:43 am
bake something, like a date/walnut cake or fig bars. I have recipes if you are interested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note