Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Putting family on a diabetic menu w/ tight budget

amother

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 3:33 pm
My DH has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He has been a compulsive eater and we have been low income and trying to make child friendly meals so I have not been cooking the healthiest. Sandwiches and pasta have been the most popular food in our house till now. I now need to change our diet. Being that my DH is compulsive overeater and finds it hard to have self control I need to only have healthy food in the house.

Till now I did not buy a lot of nash - just cookies for shabbos, ice cream for yomtov. I am not a baker. I try to keep junk food out of the house . I will buy freeze pops for hot days.
I need advice on eating healthy diabetic menu on a tight budget - till now we have meat once a week other then shabbos and have been eating a lot of grains as they are cheaper. We do have a lot of carb snacks such as crackers and pretzels for the kids lunches and after school snacks.

Do I have to take away my kids favorite foods such as sandwiches and their once a week shabbos treat of store brought cookies.

How do I change my whole families eating habits? Any tips for doing a healthy diabetic menu on a tight budget? I am hoping to see a dietician in the next week or so but need advice from those who have changed over their families diet.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 4:03 pm
The dietitian will help you tremendously. He/she may be able to provide meal plans.

Use cheap seasonal vegetables. (carrots, onions, squash, cucumbers)

Use tuna fish (light tuna is cheaper and healthier than white albacore)

Use ground chicken/meat, those can stretch, and are often cheaper

Soups can be great- just make sure the ingredients are low in carbs (although some carbs are important to the diet, as I am sure the dietitian will tell you)

Cauliflower can be a good substitute for potato dishes. Frozen is cheaper than fresh.

Make one pot dinners out of chicken/meat and lots of vegetables.

Eggs are ok. Make frittatas with eggs and other veggies I.e. peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, onions, spinach

amother

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 4:10 pm
I made shephards pie using cauliflower instead of potatoes for the top it was delicious. For the meat I used chopped chicken cuz it's healthier than chopped meat or I used chopped turkey.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 12:40 pm
OP here. Trying to make my first diabetic shabbos Menu. I normally make the same basic menu altering the salads every week

Fish, salads.
chicken soup
baked schnitzel

What child friendly food can I make instead of potato kugel and cholent? My kids will be disappointed not to have potato kugel.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 1:00 pm
Bodek broccoli or cauliflower.
Squash or peppers stuffed with ground beef and just a little rice, topped with tomato sauce.
Avocado, sliced or guacamole.
Pistachios, cashews.
Baby peas (cooked from frozen) with or without onions.
Egg salad or deviled eggs.

Oops, I think I didn't do too well on the "tight budget" part. But these healthier foods are substituting for a lot of carby foods and can go a long way.

rena18

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 6:40 pm
Try adding peeled shredded zucchini or cauliflower to potato kugel to decrease the carb content, or just make a small potato kugel so everyone gets one piece.

Try making a kugel out of shredded sauteed cabbage and onions mixed with eggs. When its done it looks very much like potato kugel.

Diabetic diet is very much balancing the amount of carbs with the protein and fat.

Make a healthier version of cholent, leaner meat, more beans, add other vegetables like zucchini, use less or no potatoes, etc.

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:52 pm
healthy eating isnt cheap.
but it has lots of benefits.
im not sure if the regular diabetic diet is the same as the gestational diabetic diet, but I think it is cause a few handouts I got had info for men and women on it. no carbs is not what you are looking for. you want low carbs and even more imp measured carbs-a steady amt of carbs to keep blood sugars stable.
most filling up should be on protiens and veggies. esp veggies.
your dh will also have to learn some control. not fair that no one can have potato kugel just cause he cant. and he may be able to have a very small piece. I was able to have kugel. I had to have ~60g of carbs for shabbos lunch. of course some are better then others...
make veggie sides like string beans, salad. use spices vs sauces/dressings with sugar. ww and other whole grains are good. (make brown rice with sauteed veggies like peppers and mushrooms? sweet potato too?) im gonna reread what you posted your usual shabbos is and answer some more.

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:59 pm
most of the menu you posted should be fine. try to find sugarless dressings for your salad. can you make the reg schnitzel for everyone and for him bake it without any breadcrumbs and some herbs? there are a few websites with diabetic recipes you can google and look at. my dietician mentioned spark.com or maybe spark____.com?
try sweet potato in your cholent. I know ppl that like it. I think sweet potato is better then reg potatos re:carbs. you can also use chicken instead of or in addition to meat for a cheaper alternative. hatzlocha.

sneakermom

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 8:08 pm
A good bean soup with carrots,onions,garlic,mushroom,turnip and fresh beans of course is delicious,cheap and very healthy.

You can make kugel for the family and place some whole sweet potato in oven for hubbies side dish.

Slice veggies you find on sale and broil for a veggie side. Sprinkle with sea salt and spray it with oil.

Find out the cheapest place for produce in your area and shop there at least once a week.

Baked cortlamd apple with cinnomin is delicious.

A lot of places have frozen tilapia on sale. Bake with cut up veggies,spices and some lite mayo.

For Shabbos day meal get used to making a big salad to enhance the meal.

cbg

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 8:25 pm
Look into grey sheet food plan.
This plan is very balanced and will stabilize blood sugar
Show it to the dietician.

http://www.linagoldberg.com/oa/greysheet.html

Eggs are a great form of protein to reduce blood sugar, and is economical.
Check with the dietician how much one can eat.

Make sure everyone in your family drinks enough water, especially diabetics.
Water, water, water.
1/2 of your body weight in oz.
For example if you weigh 140lbs then you should drink 70 oz.
Please check with your doctor if this info is ok.

There are certain spices and herbs that reduce blood sugar.
Cinnamon, cloves, oregano, sage, garlic, cayenne, are a few examples.
Use these liberally to season your food.

I hope you found this information helpful

If DH is good with his food 85-90% of the time, then occasionally he can have a small treat

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:35 pm
My dh has diabetes too. And yes, a diabetic diet IS expensive. Chicken, meat, fish, cheese, nuts, whole wheat stuff and bodek veggies are all expensive, and that is about 85% of his diet. But my whole family is not on this diet, although I do use mostly whole wheat for everyone.

wispalover

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:42 pm
Look into this diet:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/da.....ures/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking