Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Which oil is best for...
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 6:50 pm
Homemade mayo?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:52 pm
canola, extra light olive oil or safflower.

basically any mild tasting oil.

of course vegetable or soy oil tastes fine too, but are not too healthy.

southernima

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 9:02 pm
Well, if you are looking to make a "healthier" mayo, you should actually avoid oils like canola (which is terrible for you) and extra light olive oil (which is SUPER processed) and stick with less refined oils. Safflower as suggested, is generally a good choice. BUT I like to use avocado oil, it gives the mayo a nice, rich, nutty flavor.

That said, it will probably taste the best with a milder more refined oil like the above poster mentioned. It just depends on what's important to you.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 10:49 pm
southernima wrote:
Well, if you are looking to make a "healthier" mayo, you should actually avoid oils like canola (which is terrible for you) and extra light olive oil (which is SUPER processed) and stick with less refined oils. Safflower as suggested, is generally a good choice. BUT I like to use avocado oil, it gives the mayo a nice, rich, nutty flavor.

That said, it will probably taste the best with a milder more refined oil like the above poster mentioned. It just depends on what's important to you.

OP, you should definitely do your research before accepting anyone's pronouncement that any food is good (or bad) for you.

The Journal of the American Dietetic Association states that canola oil is a healthful cooking oil. Its been in use for more than 20 years. Read the information. Read it critically. Be sure to discard sites that are, well, moronic. Like the site that claims that you shouldn't pay attention to snopes because it "debunked 9/11." Really? Oh, yeah. It debunked racist rumors that the Jews were actually at fault. Is that what they meant? Or the book that demonizes canola oil, and also claims that homz3xuality is caused by diet. Or claims that canola oil is bad for you because it kills bugs. Uhhh, ALL oils kill bugs, if you dump them on the bugs. Or another great one -- canola oil is one of the most dangerous things you can ingest. Yeah. Its up there with arsenic, cocaine, gummy bears, etc.

Snopes actually does present a decent case. http://www.snopes.com/medical/.....a.asp As does the Mayo clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/cano.....58235

But please, read snopes critically. And read the contrary reports critically. Then decide.

Also, and FTR, the smoking point of extra virgin olive oil is somewhere between 380 and 410 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the impurities and acid content of the olive oil: the better the quality, the higher the smoking point. So chances are, for regular sauteeing, etc., you can use EVOO. I usually do. Although it might be a bit strong for mayo.

southernima

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:00 pm
Barbara wrote:
OP, you should definitely do your research before accepting anyone's pronouncement that any food is good (or bad) for you.

The Journal of the American Dietetic Association states that canola oil is a healthful cooking oil. Its been in use for more than 20 years. Read the information. Read it critically. Be sure to discard sites that are, well, moronic. Like the site that claims that you shouldn't pay attention to snopes because it "debunked 9/11." Really? Oh, yeah. It debunked racist rumors that the Jews were actually at fault. Is that what they meant? Or the book that demonizes canola oil, and also claims that homz3xuality is caused by diet. Or claims that canola oil is bad for you because it kills bugs. Uhhh, ALL oils kill bugs, if you dump them on the bugs. Or another great one -- canola oil is one of the most dangerous things you can ingest. Yeah. Its up there with arsenic, cocaine, gummy bears, etc.

Snopes actually does present a decent case. http://www.snopes.com/medical/.....a.asp As does the Mayo clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/cano.....58235

But please, read snopes critically. And read the contrary reports critically. Then decide.

Also, and FTR, the smoking point of extra virgin olive oil is somewhere between 380 and 410 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the impurities and acid content of the olive oil: the better the quality, the higher the smoking point. So chances are, for regular sauteeing, etc., you can use EVOO. I usually do. Although it might be a bit strong for mayo.

It was a simple suggestion. Everyone is free to do whatever they want. There are plenty of other oils with more nutritional content than canola. But I am sure you'll come up with a reason to fight me on that too.

Sparkle

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:04 pm
I also stay away from canola oil.

Personally I make my mayo with half avocado oil and half extra virgin olive oil. So good...

boysrus

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:17 pm
hey! What is wrong with canola oil? I always learned that regular vegetable oil is not so great , I think it is soybean oil.. cant remember why though.

I always thought that canola oil I much better than that. so what are the problems with canola oil?
and btw, does anyone have any thoughts about corn oil?

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:22 pm
southernima wrote:
It was a simple suggestion. Everyone is free to do whatever they want. There are plenty of other oils with more nutritional content than canola. But I am sure you'll come up with a reason to fight me on that too.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that if you pronounced that an oil was "terrible for you," and that people should avoid it, I was obligated to bow down and kiss your feet and say "thank you for your suggestion." I thought that, if you're actually interested in your health, as opposed to following the latest blogger, you might be interested in some counter information.

Or, as I suggested to the OP, to actually read critically and investigate, then make your decision.

But I guess I was wrong.

ETA -- I regret that this comes out as harsh, but it really irks me when people get up on their high horse and make pronouncements about different foods or whatever it is, then get all pissy when challenged. All I did was present a contrary point of view.

Sparkle

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:37 pm
Barbara wrote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that if you pronounced that an oil was "terrible for you," and that people should avoid it, I was obligated to bow down and kiss your feet and say "thank you for your suggestion." I thought that, if you're actually interested in your health, as opposed to following the latest blogger, you might be interested in some counter information.

Or, as I suggested to the OP, to actually read critically and investigate, then make your decision.

But I guess I was wrong.

ETA -- I regret that this comes out as harsh, but it really irks me when people get up on their high horse and make pronouncements about different foods or whatever it is, then get all pissy when challenged. All I did was present a contrary point of view.

Barbara, I often find your posts very informative and helpful to the topic. But I have to say that in this thread your post above came across way more "pissy" than southernima's. I understand that she was making a judgement about an oil (is that really what you want to get all up in arms about?), but I think it was obvious she was just trying to be helpful.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 11:51 pm
Sparkle wrote:
Barbara, I often find your posts very informative and helpful to the topic. But I have to say that in this thread your post above came across way more "pissy" than southernima's. I understand that she was making a judgement about an oil (is that really what you want to get all up in arms about?), but I think it was obvious she was just trying to be helpful.

No. When she responded to my post in which I addressed the health risks of canola oil by saying, "But I am sure you'll come up with a reason to fight me on that too," she doesn't sound like she wants to be helpful. She sounds like she wants people to agree with her or shut up.

But, honestly. Does anyone want to discuss the relative health benefits of various oils? Or just want to attack me for disagreeing?

Sparkle

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 12:13 am
I apologize if my post came across as attacking you, that was not at all my intention. Maybe it was just me but your post just seemed quite sharp in response to someone voicing an opinion about canola oil.

I'd be happy to discuss my thoughts on canola oil, but I have to start with the disclaimer that I don't base my nutritional opinions on either snopes or mayoclinic. I (personally) have come to the conclusion that modern science does not have the greatest handle on nutrition (but they do great with other things :-) ) I've done a lot of reading and researching over the last couple years and most of the information I have come across indicates that cheap supermarket oils - including canola - are quite bad for our health. Even if we were to agree that the nutritional content was fine, most oils have been heated enough to undergo a chemical change which causes them to become rancid. And rancid oils (even rancid "good oils") are very likely worse for us than the bad oils.

Though it wouldn't be my first choice, I would probably eat organic, expeller pressed canola oil if it were an ingredient in a food I wanted to eat, but I do prefer to stick to EVOO, coconut oil, butter, chicken shmaltz, and maybe even a bit of avocado oil, safflower oil, and sunflower oil if processed properly.

southernima

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 10:08 am
Barbara wrote:
No. When she responded to my post in which I addressed the health risks of canola oil by saying, "But I am sure you'll come up with a reason to fight me on that too," she doesn't sound like she wants to be helpful. She sounds like she wants people to agree with her or shut up.

But, honestly. Does anyone want to discuss the relative health benefits of various oils? Or just want to attack me for disagreeing?

Barbara, chill. I found your response to ME to be extremely argumentative as if YOU were looking for a debate which I wasn't interested in. I shared my opinion. I'm not asking you to kiss my feet. Where on earth did you get that from?

Just to clarify, when I said "but I am sure you will come up with a reason to fight me on that too" I was actually referring to the previous statement, that there are better oils for you. I was just sharing my opinion, you don't have to agree. I was also making it clear that I wasn't interested in a debate, but it was clear by your attacking tone you were.

I usually enjoy your posts, but you unnecessarily "snarky" here as Sparkle pointed out. You totally misinterpreted what I wrote, and frankly all this nonsense about kissing my feet, agree with me or shut up and up on my high horse is really made up by you. Clearly I struck a nerve with you, but it seems like you took what I wrote out of context and you really created a mountain out of a molehill.

Let me clarify again, since Barbara seems to have missed it the first time. OP, you can do whatever you want.

Edited because this is all so ridiculous.

Last edited by southernima on Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:04 am; edited 4 times in total

southernima

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 10:10 am
Sparkle wrote:
I apologize if my post came across as attacking you, that was not at all my intention. Maybe it was just me but your post just seemed quite sharp in response to someone voicing an opinion about canola oil.

Thank you for pointing this out, Sparkle. I found Barbara's post to be quite sharp (and downright unnecessary). Barbara - I was merely trying to avoid further confrontation with you. Clearly my post struck a nerve for you, but you really took in the wrong way, and frankly I thought you were being unnecessarily harsh ESPECIALLY after I said that I was just giving a suggestions and the OP can do whatever she wants.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 10:20 am
Just to put it out there (and prove you just can't get everything 100% perfect) most EVOO is cut down with cheaper oils and is not as pure as you would like. There is little regulation in it...research it.

southernima

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 10:22 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Just to put it out there (and prove you just can't get everything 100% perfect) most EVOO is cut down with cheaper oils and is not as pure as you would like. There is little regulation in it...research it.

very true. you need to research each brand.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 10:32 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Yeah, that one is truly bothersome. I try to spend the extra money to use something that is at least less unhealthful for my family, and who knows what it really is. (Its also why I never go with "all EVOO is kosher ... since who knows if it really is EVOO).

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:04 am
Barbara wrote:

I see nothing wrong with this post. I was actually happy to look at the mayo clinic link because I use canola a lot.

southernima

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:07 am
Simple1 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with this post. I was actually happy to look at the mayo clinic link because I use canola a lot.

It was her later posts that became ridiculous and quite snarky.

purpleink

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:30 am
another anti-canola oil supporter. Try refined coconut oil- it has no taste and is much better for you. In fact, it can be used as a butter/margarine substitute and is great for high heat cooking.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 11:37 am
I'm not sure that would work well in mayo as it's still solid at room temperature.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking