Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Working Yourself To Death

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 2:33 am
I was just talking to a friend of mine. She was going to do our burners for us in her self-cleaning oven (for the second year in a row our oven decided to do a nose dive right before Peasach...lovely, yes?) and had called to tell me she was doing them now.

In the course of the conversation she disclosed that she had been working quite hard at her job lately; she had slept from 10 or so till midnight, got up and worked again till 5 and then back to sleep for about two hours tops. Another woman who works the same job (at home transcriptionists) once told me she had so much work she slept maybe two three hours the whole week. My dh may work for this company. IF he does, I told him I would help him out so he doesn't have to kill himself to make us money.

I don't think I could or would work like that, at least not much more than once or twice a year. The benefit from the money would be destroyed by the injury to my health, and my family (how much of a mommy could I be? My kids are already upset sometimes by the work I put into my job, calling my boss mean because of the work I get sent.)

But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. It just seems that if I want to work to get a house or put food on my table I should be alive enough and have time enough to appreciate it. What think you all?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 2:53 am
I had a job that was making me sick. 2 hour commute each way (which the job covered less than half the cost of transportation). Leaving on a 6:15 bus in the morning and coming home at 6:30 at night... and then having to deal with dinner, housework, being with the kids, being with the hubby... dealing with fertility treatments... having to get shopping done and not having a car. And they just weren't paying me what I was worth.

So I quit.

Could we use the couple thousand shekels I was making? No doubt.

Would I have physically, mentally and emotionally been able to keep going the way I was? Heck no.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics