Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
ISO Eggplant and Garlic Dip/Spread

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 2:41 pm
Whenver I go out for shabbos I find that alot of people are making a dip/spread out of roasted eggplant and garlic. It is smooth and silky and has a nice kick to it. I keep trying to make this myself and it comes out okay tasting and yucky looking. Does anyone know what I am talking about and have an EXACT recipe for me? Thanks so much!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 6:58 pm
This is my standard aubergine dip recipe.
You'll need 2 large or 3 medium aubergines. Cut off the top, split in half. Lay cut side down on top of a large cookie sheet (line with foil for easy clean up). Sprinkle a few dashes of salt (this helps to draw out extra liquid).

Heat the broiler in the oven, stick the aubergine in and broil till the skin gets charred. Let cool. Scoop out flesh, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. They would have shrunk considerably.

I usually add 1/2 small onions finely chopped and sautéed till browned/starting to caramelise. Or 1 tbsp. of crushed fried onions. About 3tbsp of tahini (I prefer to use seasoned tahini that already has lemon salt, parsley, garlic).

If you want it garlic-ey, you can pop in separated but unpeeled garlic cloves at the same time as aubergine is broiled (just wantch out not to burn). Or wrap the whole clove drizzled with 1teasp olive oil and a sprinkle of salt in a foil, stick it in the oven and bake till it's browned and soft. Squeeze out garlic out of its skin and mash into aubergine.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 7:00 pm
With mayo?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 6:21 pm
No mayo. Never. That's the authentic Sephardi way, not basterised commercial way.
And also no sugar ever!

Pineapple

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 7:02 pm
[quote="Mrs Bissli"] want it garlic-ey, you can pop in separated but unpeeled garlic cloves [quote]
I recently got an email (from star k I think) about not using garlic peels became of bugs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics