Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
I want a YELLOW chicken soup. Turmeric is the answer??
1  2  Next

here2chill

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:25 pm
How do I get my chicken soup to have a nice yellow color, just the way it comes in restaurants?

Do they use the spice turmeric? I am wondering if it would add a weird taste to the soup?

Any suggestions? TIA

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:29 pm
I just cook it a really long time.

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:46 pm
You can cook it for a long time, start with a high light until it boils then simmer for a few hours. Sweet potatoes and carrots definitely add color, the more chicken the more golden and the better the taste. Some people I know cook an onion with it's peel for color.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:53 pm
do you want taste or colour ...

turmeric will definitely enhance the flavour ... so make sure it's appealing to your palate before you add that ...

maybe they add a bouillon cube [they're certainly yellow - but probably have a lot of msg]

Happy18

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:54 pm
Boil once then turn down and cook it for a long time, use a ton of chicken and carrots. It comes out a beautiful golden color.

smilingmom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:56 pm
Tumeric is an excellent antioxidant and great for you liver, but please don't over cook. Put it in the soup as soon as you turn off the flame. You'll gain all the health benefits, yellow color and a great taste.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 5:58 pm
what's wrong with old-fashioned chicken soup with veggies ...

anotherima

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 6:12 pm
Hawagah! It's a spice put out by Pereg. It has Tumeric, cumin, black pepper, cardamon. Yum!

mommy9

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 6:21 pm
Try sweet potato

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 6:57 pm
Some tricks I have (mostly for taste rather than looks) are:

Use carrots, butternut squash, and sometimes sweet potato
Use real chicken (I buy chicken bones for the purpose)
after boiling the chicken/ chicken bones in the water, I add the vegetables and spices, and cook on a low heat for 6- 8 hours.
(I also include parsnip, onion, celery, a clove or two of garlic sometimes zucchini. My spices are typically salt, pepper parsley and dill. Sometimes I will put in some tumeric, but only a very little bit.)

The key: real chicken/ chicken bones, yellow or orange vegetables and cooking for a very long time (6-8 hours) on a low heat after initial boiling.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 7:51 pm
A little turmeric will give yellow color, but you won't taste any difference.

At least I don't. I also use it for rice and potatoes. Just a little goes a long way for a nice color.

More will taste, of course. I am going to look for that Hawagah that AnotherIma mentions. Sounds interesting.

seer

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 8:04 pm
I have an obsession with making the perfect golden, clear yet super flavorful soup. This is how I do it:
1. I only use chicken-no meat that makes the soup brown and murky. I use a lot of chicken.

2.I skim the soup BEFORE it boils and take out all the brown and white foamy stuff that floats to the top-if you dont skim before it boils it will get cooked in the soup and make the soup murky.

3.turn it down right after it boils and cook for four hours. I dont like to overcook the soup I find that it makes it too strong.

4.I use carrots and sweet potatoe....I add fresh dill in the last half hour or so-if you put it in right away and cook it for four hours the fresh aroma disappears.

5. make sure the proportion of water to chicken and veggies is not to high I just put enough water to cover the veggies and chicken I dont go all the way up to the top.

Good luck and enjoy!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 8:10 pm
Use real chicken bottoms with skin--not bones. I use 4 bottoms with skin for a large pot, a med. squash, med. sweet potato, several carrots, some celery, and a whole onion or two, peeled. Boil and lower flame right after boil. Simmer for 3 hours minimum. It should become golden yellow.

queen76

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 8:38 pm
I add turmeric all the time 2 my soup. I do find that it really stains the pot & utensils, but I like the color that it gives

flmommy

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 10:04 pm
I add a little paprika. I think it helps with the color. Also sweet potatoes and carrots.

checkbefore

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 1:42 am
I tried adding a very small amount of turmeric once, and I was not happy with the practically FLUORESCENT color it turned into.

m in Israel

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 2:33 am
I also find that a little paprika together with cooking for a long time runs it a really pretty yellow. Turmeric is a bit bright for my taste, but I'm sure it would work.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 1:45 pm
Turmeric does it for me and has the added attraction of providing cancer-fighting chemicals.

smss

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 2:06 pm
zaq wrote:
Turmeric does it for me and has the added attraction of providing cancer-fighting chemicals.

it's also supposed to be great for the immune system. I keep trying to add it to stuff, but I find that even when I use a very small amount I still taste it and I don't like the taste so much....

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 6:59 pm
saffron
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics