Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chicken for shabbos Help!

Bella:D

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 11:44 am
We're on vacation we have access to all kosher products but the kitchen in the apartment is dairy so basically I can only cook my chicken (or beef) double wrapped in the oven.

Do you have any good recipes for chicken that cooks covered the whole time? I'm scared it'll come out boring and weird looking because it wont brown.

I know this is last minute but please help me out Very Happy

Thanks in advance!

vet techy

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 12:04 pm
If you have spices you could put that on with vegetables and bbq sauce.. I first put chicken in the oven with no for a half hour then drain the fat then rub any spice I use all over.then cover and put it back till done.

Blue jay

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 12:23 pm
It will cook!
Orange juice, garlic and onion powder. Not so much juice though so the chicken can roast a little.

I usually double wrap my pan when my oven is dairy and I need to cook some meat.

southernima

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 12:43 pm
Did you already do your shopping? Can you get a brisket instead of the chicken? That cooks great covered.

Do you have a crockpot? Chicken cutlets cook great in the crockpot!

boysrus

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 12:47 pm
Personally I always cook my chicken covered, the trick is to put in NO liquid and cook on high heat.

I clean chickenpieces, then sprinkle with lots of garlic powder, teeny bit of salt and a sprinkle of paprika.
Cover.
Bake at 450 for 45minutes, tehn another 45 minutes on 375. Or longer. Another half an hour (at least 2 hrs cooking time) makes it amazingly flavorsome.

henb

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:51 am
how funny to read the other responses- I always cook my chicken covered and I put in plenty of liquid so it will come out moist and tender... whether I use bbq sauce or spices on top, I make sure there are a few inches of liquid on the bottom of the pan and I cover it tight with foil on top and bake it at 350 degrees for an hour and a half- no joke! it's always very soft and nice- definitely not a crispy roasted chicken, but a very succulent baked chicken and you can put in potatoes, carrots, squash, or whatever along side it if you want and they will cook beautifully as well. good luck and enjoy your vacation! Smile

henb

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:53 am
if you are worried about the color you could put a lot of paprika on top...

Liba

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 3:41 am
I also cook my chicken covered and with liquid. It gets so so nice and soft and falls off the bones if cooked long enough. We aren't big chicken skin eaters anyway. Smile

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 4:01 am
My most popular way of baking chicken is also my easiest.

Put chicken pieces in baking dish. Cover with sliced onion. Liberally sprinkle paprika, or other spices of your choice. Cover baking dish snugly. Bake 180 / 350 for at least 1.5 hours.

etky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 4:13 am
mummy-bh wrote:
My most popular way of baking chicken is also my easiest.

Put chicken pieces in baking dish. Cover with sliced onion. Liberally sprinkle paprika, or other spices of your choice. Cover baking dish snugly. Bake 180 / 350 for at least 1.5 hours.

I do this in a cast iron dutch oven and with a whole chicken. I bake it for 2 hours. No liquid, which I find dillutes the deep taste that the chicken acquires roasted in this method. This is a french method of roasting chicken, called 'chicken in a pot' and yields a very tender, falliing off the bone chicken. I also put in potatoes which come out very soft and yummy. DH and DS OTOH prefer a drier chicken, roasted upright, uncovered. It is a quicker method and yields firm, juicy meat.

tovasara

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:29 am
I also cover my chicken the whole time when I cook it.

Kitten

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:32 am
Put it on a higher fire. It will become brown.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus