Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Everything cooked already?

withhumor

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 11:28 pm
It’s our first year going solo for Pesach and I was too excited to get started with the cooking, my favorite part! So I had my cleaning lady by me and I sat her down to do the peeling, within 2 hours, she was all done. All the stuff was peeled and put into a garbage bag filled with water, inside a box. Then I started cooking and in a few short hours, finished my entire yom tov! We even had a fresh pesach’dig’a delicious dinner Thursday night. I’m so proud of myself, too bad it’s not all about cooking!

bashinda

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 11:41 pm
wow. I'm going day by day, it helps we're going out the first two day meals. you must feel accomplished! kol hakavod!

withhumor

Post Sat, Mar 31 2007, 11:42 pm
I wish all I can do is cook…. Everything else is a major hassle for me.

lotte

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 12:02 am
We are home and I haven't started a thing!
We like it all fresh and I will be cooking on Monday ONLY!

cindy324

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 12:04 am
WOW, you're good withhumor. I just finished setting up the kitchen and unpacking all my dishes, so I 'll be ready to start cooking tomorrow (Sunday morning).

bashinda

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 12:07 am
agreed. this year everything is turning out decently pretty much too. B"H! I'm glad I turned the kitchen over too because I'm getting a head start on getting used to it and I can make some last minute adjustments. I'm doing the cooking and basic prep (liquid sugar, tea) tomorrow IY"H

su7kids

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 12:47 am
Our kitchen isn't even kashered yet.

Mevater

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 1:24 am
withhumor wrote:
Then I started cooking and in a few short hours, finished my entire yom tov! I’m so proud of myself, too bad it’s not all about cooking!
Can you please tell us what you cooked, and post the recipes of the especially good tasting things?

brooklyn

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 7:42 am
Hey, good for you. I don't have a cleaning lady unless you count me. I will be kashering the kitchen today and will do my cooking on Monday.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 8:39 am
brooklyn wrote:
Hey, good for you. I don't have a cleaning lady unless you count me. I will be kashering the kitchen today and will do my cooking on Monday.

ditto ... I seem to do everything myself ... and I like fresh food anyway so ... to me I'll be early cause I was getting things done slowly during the week ... today I clean fridge and change a few things over after covering ... and tomorrow will be cooking ... although I still need to shop for my produce ... my son said mom tell me when you're finished I'll help then ... carry things like oven grates (have pesach ones) & pots etc... but how hard is that ... oh well ... while I took a shabbos nap yesterday ... my rebel cleaned the toaster oven for pesach ... what could I say ... wow it is clean ...

bashinda

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 8:48 am
brooklyn wrote:

that reminds me of this type of interchange I have every once in awhile:

"do you have a dishwasher?"
"yes. shes' me!" Very Happy

that said, B"H I did have a cleaning lady this year.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 10:46 am
just finished my kitchen this morning..

oh well....maybe tonight will start cooking

bashinda

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 2:10 pm
MM: I was like that. I wanted to finish early so I could cook and then I was to shvach to cook that night anyway! Hatzlacha!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 4:37 pm
I used to practiclaly kill myself, cooking everything before yomtov and then just taking out foil pans as we went along, but I stopped all that.

Certain dishes are for the beg. ofyomtov, others for Shabbos, and the rest for the end days. Fresh but less variety.

So, yes, some things are cooked already, but not all.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 5:34 pm
My oven is done ... my fridge is done ... now for the leftover mess ... wash the floors ... it wasn't so bad ...

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 6:25 pm
I have cooked for the big 1st seder, but for the day meals I will just put some chicken or meat and potatoes/squash into the oven to roast before shul. (assuming I don't need to get rid of leftovers) I made a big pot of soup and chicken balls, and I'll cook some fish tomorrow if I have time. I also have some kugels in the freezer.

I will take the oppurtunity to thank Chevron, the organic eco friendly israeli guy who has been helping me for the last 2 days peeling, chopping, marror grinding - he even mowed the lawn. He saved my life!

Squash

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 7:10 pm
Raisin wrote:
I have cooked for the big 1st seder, but for the day meals I will just put some chicken or meat and potatoes/squash into the oven to roast before shul. (assuming I don't need to get rid of leftovers) I made a big pot of soup and chicken balls, and I'll cook some fish tomorrow if I have time. I also have some kugels in the freezer.

I will take the oppurtunity to thank Chevron, the organic eco friendly israeli guy who has been helping me for the last 2 days peeling, chopping, marror grinding - he even mowed the lawn. He saved my life!

Can ya do me a favah? Just keep the flame REALLY low.

k, I know this is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo corny, but hey, I don't wanna go clean and according to what my brain must look like by now I think I'm entitled to be corny. 8)

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 7:42 pm
I have to boil sugar and make some food to have during yom tov, but we are eating out all the meals, including sedarim, for the first days so I don't have to make proper food until chol hamoed... I did make a pesachdik shabbos....(we ate challah outside on the front porch).

cindy324

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 8:26 pm
I made a list of things to cook today and for tomorrow. I am happy to report that I finished everything on today's list. I made fish, soup, tzimmes, compote and apple kugel. Also made cucumber salad. I peeled and sliced more fruits and veggies then I care to count. The rest is easy,no more peeling and slicing, except for some potatoes.

withhumor

Post Thu, Apr 05 2007, 9:13 am
Letsbehonest, I cooked a fresh chicken soup and froze half. I did the compote, I put up the ‘cholent’ for shabbos, which we also demolished for dinner Thursday night, so I made a new one Friday morning. I sautéed a mountain of onions to have for stock, I also made ‘paprika’. I took a few carrots and grinded them. Then, with oil you sauté it until it’s abright orange/brown. Then, it turns into a sort of paste which you can use to color the food such as liver, squash, chicken etc.

I made only 1 cake, and didn’t get around to making ice cream but I made mayonnaise which didn’t come out, so the cole slaw mix that I had prepared I couldn’t use without mayonnaise. (it’s made with kohlrabi and carrots) so I sautéed it and filled some ‘egg’ rolls with the mixture, out of this world! I finished the cucumber salad, potato kugle, apple kugel, apple jam, the chrain, the marror, I juiced the lemons, the egg lokeshen, the oranges, the EVERYTHING….

Basically, most of the work is preparing the raw material so that yom tov, when I needed to cook out the Karpas, all I had to do was take a few potatoes that were peeled before yom tov! I store them in a box filled with water, lined in a garbage bag!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics