Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Reconciling Torah's view of age of universe and science
1  2  Next

Chani

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 7:15 pm
Interesting paper by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, zt"l. I'd be interested in hearing what everyone thinks (politely, please)...

http://www.aojs.org/pdf/Aryeh%.....0.pdf

Esther01

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 7:57 pm
wow, wow, wow, this is soooo interesting. my dh has seen this already once briefly and is so excited to have it again. so thanks for posting it.
I didn't finish reading it, I need to leave now but I will finish reading it later tonight.
I think it's amazing.

Esther01

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 10:25 pm
I just finished reading it. this is ultra amazing. it makes so much sense. ladies when you have time (cuz it's pretty long) read it...

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:20 pm
I don't have time to delve into something so long right now. Could you just give a synopsis?

Esther01

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:54 pm
it's much too difficult to explain. but basicaly, Rav Kaplan explains how science facts, that the world exist for millions and billions of years is actually true according to the Torah...
Amazing.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 12:01 am
Oh, wow. I definitely need to make time to read that.

Motek

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 12:30 pm
Chani wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing what everyone thinks (politely, please)...

There is a thread on this topic called, Chazal, Science, Controversy ... in the Intellectual section. It doesn't address this article in particular but the topic. I posted a lot in that thread and won't repeat it here except to say that so-called reconciling Torah and science by adjusting Torah to fit science is called apologetics.

There is no need to do that. Science: "the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena" cannot possibly contradict Torah as it says, Hashem looked into Torah and created the world.

For many more details, please see that thread.

Chani

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 4:30 pm
I don't think that in any way was Rabbi Kaplan "adjusting" Torah to fit science.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 6:20 pm
I agree Chani, I think he is doing the exact opposite.
But its sad because in todays day and age, one is not allowed to think out of the box, and try to even contemplate science and Torah without everyone screaming KFIRAH KFIRAH.
Look what they did to that poor Zoo Rabbi, Rabbi Nosson Slifkin. He spoke in my seminary - before his book all of a sudden became Kfirah- and I can tell you, if there was a ever a g-d fearing man, he definately is one.

Esther01

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 6:32 pm
Motek- did you read the whole thing from Rabbi Kaplan, from the beggining to the end? if you didn't,(which it sounds like according to your post) please read it first and then post.

Motek

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 1:32 pm
Esther01 wrote:
it's much too difficult to explain. but basicaly, Rav Kaplan explains how science facts, that the world exist for millions and billions of years is actually true according to the Torah...
Amazing.

I didn't read it (yet) but based my post on your post.

only1 wrote:
But its sad because in todays day and age, one is not allowed to think out of the box

If people are learned and present ideas based on Torah sources, that's fine.

Quote:
, and try to even contemplate science and Torah without everyone screaming KFIRAH KFIRAH.

It's only kefira if it's kefira.

Quote:
Look what they did to that poor Zoo Rabbi, Rabbi Nosson Slifkin. He spoke in my seminary - before his book all of a sudden became Kfirah- and I can tell you, if there was a ever a g-d fearing man, he definately is one.

Well, let's see. Sounds like you are berating roshei yeshiva and talmidei chachamim. He spoke in seminaries before his books were pronounced beyond the pale by many rabbis. I prounounced his book "Mysterious Creatures" beyond the pale long before the ban. Too bad nobody was consulting with me 8). My very extensive dialogue with Slifkin served to underscore the problems with his hashkafos.

Interesting how you feel able to assess his level of yiras shomayim ... As someone who actually interacting with him at length, I will say that he seems to mean well but is out of his league when it comes to Torah knowledge.

More in the other thread.

Esther01

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 1:46 pm
Quote:
Esther01 wrote:
Amazing.

I didn't read it (yet) but based my post on your post.

you missed my first few words which were it's much too difficult to explain[b]
Rabbi Kaplan's speech is 29 pages long... I wrote exactly 18 words... I just wrote this statement so that you should be interested in reading what Rabbi Kaplan had to say. So don't base it on my post, please read it....

Esther01

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 1:48 pm
Quote:
Rabbi Kaplan's speech is 29 pages long... I wrote exactly 18 words... I just wrote this statement so that you should be interested in reading what Rabbi Kaplan had to say. So don't base it on my post, please read it....

sorry it was not supposed to be bold

healthymama

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 4:44 pm
I read the whole thing from beginning to end and I have to agree with Motek here. It is apologetics. Sorry.

faigie

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 11:40 am
..............!
an absolute brilliant masterpiece..................
should be a must read in every yeshiva.

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 13 2006, 12:36 pm
faigie wrote:

should be a must read in every yeshiva.

Why?

faigie

Post Mon, Aug 14 2006, 4:00 pm
becuase it gives kids a well rounded answer to the questions they have re the dinasaurs and such.
kaplan is a must read for my kids.

IndyMom

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 9:08 am
Knowing the world is a little under 6000 years old, why does all the scientific evidence point to its existence for billions of years? The Rambam says that science and torah do not disagree and if they seem to conflict we are either misinterpreting torah or we do not know enough science. I have heard the famous answers of "Hashem created a world that had a history built into it" and "one day of creation could have been equal to billions of years" but where is the proof in the torah of those answers? What is the source to make these two conflicts come together?

bashinda

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 9:27 am
There's a whole book on topics like this that you might find interesting:

The Science of G-d: The Convergence of Scientific and Bibilical Wisdom by Gerald L. Schroeder.

I haven't read it but it covers the big bang theory, darwin's theory of evolution etc.

Hmm, maybe I'll read this on Pesach

IndyMom

Post Sun, Apr 01 2007, 9:37 am
Thank you, I have been looking for a good book recommendation on this subject. I'm going to order it from artscroll right now.

Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics