Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Really wanna make whole wheat but... Please advice
1  2  Next

Pooh

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 9:58 pm
We pretty much only eat whole wheat bread in the house but when it comes to challa for some reason I haven't yet figured out how to make it ww since the sifter that they say is the kosher one doesn't let the brown stuff go through so what I end up w is white flour if I wanna sift for bugs.

So How do I do it?

Also, which brand should I use. For the white I use kemach high gluten and it comes out great bh.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:07 pm
Afaik u dont need to sift the bran, just check it as u would check rice for example

mom2dkay

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:15 pm
Would love to know the same.
I've asked around a while ago but never got a clear answer, regarding sifting ww flour.
I use the shibolim brand that doesn't need to be sifted, but I think the taste is very strong. Dif brands might have dif taste.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:33 pm
Spelt is much lighter and more mild-tasting (and healthier) than whole wheat.

Vanilla

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 11:07 pm
It's very easy to check the bran and then mix it back in. Adding gluten makes it lighter.

Pooh

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 9:26 am
But it takes forever to sift when it's ww. Might as well use white and add wheat germ, or is that not the same?

Mom3SV

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 9:55 am
I use Shibolim whole wheat blend- 60% w.w. 40% white. It is very finely ground and does not need sifting. My challah tastes delicious and not heavy at all. I find that if you use 100% whole wheat, the texture is just too heavy.

If you are interested in the recipe, let me know and I will post it.

Pooh

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:12 pm
Yes colormom pls post it.
Is the King Arthur white whole wheat flour also thin enough to pass through the sifter in case I don't find the shibolim? Why doesn't shibolim need sifting?

Mom3SV

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:35 pm
I don't know about King Arthur - haven't used it. The Shibolim flour comes vacuum packed so it doesn't need sifting. If you open the package you have to refrigerate it.
I will post the recipe later today.

granolamom

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:55 pm
Pooh wrote:
But it takes forever to sift when it's ww. Might as well use white and add wheat germ, or is that not the same?
[s]

not the same. you'd have to also add the bran.

I was told to sift and then visually inspect what doesnt pass through the sifter and then add back in if no bugs.

smss

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:03 pm
huh? so confused. I thought you only have to sift flour in israel. sounds like all of you are in america from the flour brands you're talking about. why do you have to sift it?

Pooh

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:50 pm
I'm in ny and deffinately have found bugs. Where I usually shop it's such a frequented store that every two seconds they are restocking so I know the stuff is fresh there and less likely to be infested. But I've had cases where it was late and closed already so I went to a store with pretty much empty isles (of ppl) and when I was about to throw the pancake batter to the pan I noticed bugs crawling in a clear zip lock bag where I put the rest of the flour. They're clear bugs too which is hard to notice them if not sifting.

Shmerling

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:57 pm
Many people in America sift flour. I've also found bugs.
I use white ww flour and sift with a regular sifter.

granolamom

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 6:36 pm
I'm in NY and I've found bugs in flour. my rav actually said that I dont have to sift in the US but I do anyway. aside from finding bugs, I find that sifting (even pre sifted flour) makes my challah fluffier.

Lydia

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:07 pm
How big are the bugs that you find? They don't go through the holes of a regular sifter?

I don't sift flour, but have always wondered about the logistics....

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:24 pm
Pooh wrote:

Might as well use white and add wheat germ, or is that not the same?

I make challah using bread flour and wheat germ. It's not whole wheat, but it is delicious!

As Granolamom already wrote, you'd also have to add back the bran for for it to really be whole wheat.

shevi82

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 2:54 am
I'm in israel, they sell sifted ww flour here. I buy it and keep it in the freezer.

Mom3SV

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 8:40 am
Here's the recipe I mentioned. It's based on a recipe from Tamar Ansh with slight changes.

5 lbs Shibolim whole wheat BLEND flour
1 cup light brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp dry yeast
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
2 tbsp salt
5 cups warm water

Mix sugar, yeast and 2 cups water. Let it sit in the bowl for 3 minutes. Add all but 2 cups flour, eggs, most of the oil, salt and 3 cups water. Mix a little and add remaining 2 cups flour and the rest of the oil. Mix well for 5-7 minutes.

Let the dough rise for 1 hour in a covered bowl or a plastic bag (less mess). After half and hour, punch the dough down and let it rise again - this activates the dough more.

Take challah with a bracha.

Braid challahs and let them rise for 15 minutes. Brush with egg and (my new favorite-) Prima challah topping.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Last edited by Mom3SV on Wed, Jan 15 2014, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pooh

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 9:32 am
Lydia wrote:
How big are the bugs that you find? They don't go through the holes of a regular sifter?

I don't sift flour, but have always wondered about the logistics....

They don't go through. I've found either regular black ants or white/clear squirmy looking thingies the length let's say of half ur nail (assuming ur nails are cut flesh to skin lol sorry didn't knwo how else to measure them haha)

I always thought not sifting was the biggest sin. I'm surprised ppl have heard it's ok not to. The flour sits on shelves who knows how long and in trucks and any ant can find their way in. If were so careful w vegs it's wierd some ppl are not w flour (not bashing just surprised)
Thanks for the recipe.

Mom3SV

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 3:47 pm
You don't have to sift the Shibolim because the bag is airtight and no infestation can occur.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads