Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
ISO Dairy chocolate pudding recipe. Not instant.

joy613

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 11:05 pm
I'm pretty sure I once used a recipe from this site for dairy chocolate pudding, but I can't seem to find it again. Search didn't really help much.

I think it was a pretty basic recipe, some cocoa, sugar, milk, flour?.. etc...And it sort of came out like the instant pudding mixes.
Does anyone have such a recipe?

Thanks!

henb

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:12 am
this takes a few minutes, and I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for, but it's soooooooooo yummy!

avivah's chocolate pudding:

1/4- 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup starch
1/2 cup cocoa
3 cups milk
3 eggs
1 TBSP butter

mix sugar and starch, then stir in milk with a whisk or a fork. cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly (stir constantly to prevent lumps)

in another bowl, beat eggs. stir in @ a cup of the cooked mixture- slowly so you don't cook the eggs- then put this into the larger pot, and cook- continue to stir. DO NOT BOIL.

turn the heat down to low, and cook a few more minutes, stirring the whole time.

remove from heat and stir in butter.

serve warm or chilled.

joy613

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 1:26 am
Thanks!
Sounds delicious. but this definitely wasn't it because I don't like the raw eggs in it. but maybe I'll try this anyways.

Also- have you ever used flour instead of the starch?
thanks again!

henb

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 2:28 am
I haven't tried flour, and the eggs do cook when you add them into the pot and stir them over the heat- you just don't want them to heat all at once when you add them or they turn into scrambled eggs Wink

as far as the flour, I imagine that any thickener type stuff would do about the same as any other- get goopy and yummy, so as long as you have someone on hand who wouldn't mind eating an experimental batch that may taste good but have a weird consistency, I would say give it a try and see what happens. good luck! Smile

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:03 am
This is from this website:
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....ding/

I would substitute 1/4 cup cocoa for the chocolate, although the original is probably heavier.

Serves 6 to 7

1/4 cup (30 grams) cornstarch
1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups (710 ml) whole milk
6 ounces (170 grams) semi- or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (or 1 cup good chocolate chips)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract

Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan, Slowly whisk in the milk, in a thin steam at first so that lumps don’t form, then more quickly once the cornstarch mixture is smoothly incorporated. Place over medium-low heat and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 10 minutes or so (slower over lower heat is better, to give the cornstarch time to cook), before it starts to simmer, the mixture should begin to thicken, enough that it will coat the back of a spoon. Add the chocolate, and continue stirring for another 2 to 4 minutes, until chocolate is fully incorporated and mixture is quite thick. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:12 am
Does anyone have experience substituting the sugar for Splenda? I'd love to make this sugarfree.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals