Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Gluten and sugar free menu for girl bil is dating

amother

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:13 pm
bil is bringing in a girl from oot. They are dating seriously and she is coming to us for shabbos lunch.
I want to make a nice meal and a good impression.
she is gluten and sugar free.

ideas please??

csl

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:36 pm
Chulent is easy, substitute barley for Lundberg's short grain rice, you CANNOT tell the difference. I only use that since my son became GF.

Challah, you're gonna have to buy because it's too many ingredients, and big bother. Mrs. Katz's baked products are available at the GLUTEN FREE SHOPPE in boro park, and some supermarkets. My son's only Gluten free, not sugar free, but I'm sure they also make sugar free.

dessert? make a delicious ice cream, fresh fruit sorbet, etc. If you want to go out of your way and bake something GF, the GF shoppe has a multi purpose flour, yellow bag, around $14 and search a recipe online . Sorry I can't help you with a recipe without sugar.

soy sauce has gluten, so don't prepare any dressing or sauces with those (unless purchase GF)
Any fresh fish, cuz gefilte contains matzoh meal. GF available (A&B) at GF Shoppe
Good luck!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:47 pm
-lemon garlic salmon
-salads (some savory ideas to get you started: tomato salad, zucchini "spaghetti" salad, bruschetta zucchini, lemony dill carrot salad)
-sauteed liver and eggplant salad over leafy salad with balsamic vinaigrette
-roast beef slices
-potato kugel
-cholent made with short grain rice instead of barley
-cubed melon

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:51 pm
Honestly, find out how "free" gluten free and sugar free are. If she has Celiac Disease you will need to do some heavy duty cleaning before you start dreaming up a menu. Find out (from the girl, not your son, he might not know) if she needs to have her food cooked in disposables or if your pots are ok. Find out if she can handle things that are cooked in the same oven, or if you will need to clean your oven.

Next, is she diabetic? If yes, you'll want to go easy on the simple starchs (white rice) and have complex carbs (brown rice, quinoa) instead. Can she have honey? That would open up a whole host of menu choices. If not, can she have agave or date sugar? The only way to answer these questions is to call up the girl and ask.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 9:15 am
She does not have celiacs or diabeties. As far as I know she started having some stomach problems with wheat, and she doesn't eat sugar for health reasons.

I don't think she is strict on things like soy sauce which is not gf, and I have no idea about honey.
I'm going to avoid them as much as I can anyway by trying to make things as fresh as I can.

Thanks for the ideas!

RA mom, your menu sounds perfect.

I know she likes quinoa and rice. Does anyone have a good quinoa salad recipe? and is there a way to do rice for shabbos day?

So far Im thinking
salmon
a bunch of salads (not sure which ones yet)

cholent with short grain rice (do I use the same amount as barley? Will it soak up more water?)
potato kugel
snap peas or green beans
broccoli kugel
deli meat
some type of chicken breast- probably grilled

fruit for desert.

not my typical menu, but does it sound ok??

Lizzie4

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 9:24 am
Gluten free chicken nuggets can be made with crushed gluten free corn flakes. They taste really yummy!

Lizzie4

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 9:31 am
Quinoa Salad

No measurements- use however much you would like.

Cooked Quinoa (follow package instuctions)
VERY finely diced peppers
VERY finely diced yellow and green squash and VERY finely chopped onion sauteed in pot. (spray with pam)
1 can of black beans (rinse them with water so salad doesn't get the brown color from the sauce)

spice with garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, parsley and olive oil.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:17 pm
your menu sounds great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics