Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
How to learn the ropes of cooking
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sunny90

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:21 am
1- Rice: I put as much rice as I'm going to make in the pot, rinse it about 5 times, cover it with water about an inch over the rice, add salt to taste (taste the water!), a couple glugs of oil, bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer til all the water's absorbed, that's it! If the rice is still a little hard, add some boiling water from the kettle and let it steam some more. You can always add water but you can't take it away!

3- Cake
Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate cake is easy as can be and the best choc cake ever! One bowl and really simple!
1 ¾ cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
 1 cup non-dairy creamer, milk or water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour the pan of your choice. 
Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring until well blended.
Add milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Fold in boiling water with a spoon or rubber spatula.
Bake for 25 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

5- Good idea for Shnitzel, not fried
Pinktichel's breaded teriyaki schnitzel--SO DELICIOUS and easy
Breaded Teriyaki Chicken Cutlets (Pinktichel)

equal amounts:
honey
soy sauce
Oil (optional)

Marinate for as long as you have...

Dip cutlets into flavored bread crumbs and bake.

This recipe is amazing with mashed potatoes.

Bake on 375 for 20-25 minutes. Uncovered on a cookie sheet.

3mitzvos

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:55 am
Sunny -- Oh yes, the Hershey's Choc Cake is amazing!!! Definitely worth making.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:31 am
Sanguine wrote:
I'm in Israel so I don't have all the easy ingredients like duck sauce, tomato sauce (we have tomato paste), onion powder (have onion soup or chop yourself)

YESHASettler wrote:
I live in Israel and while I CAN get Gold's duck sauce, I prefer not to have to pay the price.

I buy the cheap apricot jam and pour it into my KitchenAid with the whisk attachment on. I then add some lemon juice, soy sauce, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper.

I whisk it really well and pour it back into the jar. That's it!

and sometimes I just use apricot jam without the extras when I'm lazy.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:39 am
Sanguine, this is a good, easy broccoli kugel. I've also used cauliflower and California mix (brocc, cauli and carrots). From here: http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....el-2/

Broccoli Kugel

8 servings

1 (2-pound) bag frozen chopped broccoli cuts, thawed and drained
1 cup light mayonnaise
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Liberally grease a 9-inch round baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl place broccoli, mayonnaise, eggs, salt, black and cayenne peppers and mix well.
Pour broccoli mixture into prepared baking dish.
Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes until set and edges are golden brown.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:48 am
Had to show you how "rice [crazy]" I am. I once asked on my community's email group and then made a website page for it

How Do You Cook Rice

But I'm still struggling with rice

Dolly1

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 10:02 am
When I got married I didn't know how to crack an egg. Now I always tell everybody that if I learned how to cook, so can everybody else!
I would tell you to pick easy recipes from the book and follow instructions step by step. Nothing can go wrong if you follow everything exactly as it says.
Maybe make urself menu plans for ten days, and then repeat. Like this you will get to practice those foods until you´re perfect!
Good luck!

etky

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 10:41 am
Chocomama wrote:
I also had no clue. I loved myy friend's mother's comment! She told me not to worry, if you can read, you can cook. and that's pretty much how it went. I was once the girl who didn't know that you're supposed to cook a frozen gefilte fish roll with the paper on. that was a nightmare trying to tear off the paper before cooking the loaf!!

I found that Sara Finkel's Classic Kosher Cooking was very good for simple, basic recipes. good luck!

I second Sara Finkel's book. My sister and I still refer to it as "the Bible", and I've acquired many additional cookbooks since I bought it when I was first married (over 20 years ago).

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:32 am
Try quick and easy, Leah Schapira takes great recipes and makes them simple.

bubbebia

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:56 am
OP, I'm also available to help you. Just let me know what you would like to do and I'll be happy to help.

In terms of a stir fry, the secret is to have everything pre cut and ready to go. Because it's such a quick cooking thing you don't want your veggies to get overcooked.

Make a pot of rice following the directions of the package--it's a 2:1 water to rice ratio. If you're making 1 cup of rice you need 2 cups of water. Use an Uncle Bens type of rice to start with. Like the old commercials used to say, "perfect rice every time". You just need to keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. Then fluff it with a fork and set it aside.

Meanwhile, slice a green pepper in thin strips, an onion, a carrot or 2 (thin coins on the diagonal), some celery and some mushrooms. Keep each in a separate small bowl because they all have different cooking times. Cut a few chicken breasts into bite size chunks and toss with a little canola oil, salt and pepper. In a small cup put 2-3 TBS of corn starch, about 2-3 TBS of soy sauce and about 1/2 cup of water. Stir well to dissolve the corn starch.

Heat a wide non-stick frying pan over medium high heat until a drop of water splashed onto the surface sizzles and disappears immediately. Pour in about 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil and twirl the pan to coat the bottom. Immediately add your chicken pieces and toss with a spatula until they are browned slightly. Remove to a separate plate. Add a little more oil to the pan and then toss in your onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Toss for a couple of minutes but don't let the veggies wilt. Add in your chicken pieces and your water/corn starch/soy sauce mix. Mix everything together stirring constantly as the sauce begins to thicken and turn somewhat clear and the chicken is completely cooked-just a couple of minutes. Serve over the rice and sprinkle with thinly sliced scallions (green onions) and some sesame seeds.

The beauty of a stir fry is that you can use whatever chicken or meat you have on hand and whatever veg you have on hand. You can add a drained can of baby corn, some bean sprouts, maybe a handful of cashews or slivered almonds at the end. You can add a couple of tablespoons of hoisin sauce (a Chinese BBQ sauce that is sweet and a little spicy), some hot pepper flakes if you like it a little more hot, etc. or some thingly sliced bok choy leaves or a handful of baby spinach at the end. This is one of those dishes that can become whatever you want it to be. But if you don't try to do it, you'll never be able to get over the fear. We've all had our cooking disasters. But it's like falling off a horse--you have to get right back on or you'll always be afraid.

Seriously, though. If you need any advice or recipes, don't hesitate to PM me.

spinkles

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 3:19 pm
What kind of pot do you use for your rice? If you're using a cheap, thin pot, it won't come out right.

You asked about brown rice, so here you go:

4 c. brown rice
7 c. water

Bring to a boil with lid on, then turn down to simmer (the almost lowest setting on the stove...for my gas stove that's a 2). Cook covered for 50 minutes. Do not take lid off to check it during this time. Turn off flame, stir rice with spoon, cover again and let sit 5 minutes.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 3:46 pm
Thanks OP for starting this thread - I'm getting just what I need Very Happy I hope you're got what you wanted too

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 5:26 pm
Sanguine wrote:
1- I make awful rice. Shouldn't that be the easiest thing? - I'd like to try brown too

2- I need a good kugel or two. I'm a lazy cooker. I don't want to take out my food processor. Just one bowl, and should be somewhat healthy (no noodles)

3- An easy cake that's also nice if you want to bring it somewhere

4- A good different salad

5- Good idea for Shnitzel, not fried

6- Potatoes. It's touch and go how they come out

My kids who are big have gotten fed up with me and taken over most the cooking but they're not always home for Shabbat, so I think it's time I became independent

I'm in Israel so I don't have all the easy ingredients like duck sauce, tomato sauce (we have tomato paste), onion powder (have onion soup or chop yourself)

So this is what I need for Shabbat - My son makes the soup (home every-other shabbat) another son makes rice (also home every-other shabbat - he can't believe I can't handle it though I don't think his is so great either). Other son makes potatoes, but he basically cuts and I'm supposed to spice and bake. 2 DD's make the shnitzel, salad, kugel if they want,dessert if they want and some other stuff...

I make chicken and cholent

So this is what I need (I hope I'm not scaring OP - I've been at it for years and still need the basics Very Happy )
perfect white rice
1 cup Uncle Ben's white rice (brand makes a difference in perfect texture)
2 cups boiling water from the kettle

combine rice with water in a 7x10" deep dish. place in oven preheated to 350 for 28 minutes.

perfect brown rice
http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec.....html#!

broccoli kugel just dump and bake - make sure to use light mayo not heavy
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....el-2/

zucchini kugel
5-6 medium zucchini peeled, quartered & thinly sliced
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
4 tsp salt
black pepper, to taste

Mix all the ingredients together. Bake in a greased 9'x13 pan in oven preheated to 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until set and golden brown.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....kugel

hershey's perfectly chocolate chocolate cake
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....sheys

cinnamon swirl cake ignore the crumbs, they ruin this delicious cake
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....swirl

salad ideas
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....chefs

teriyaki chicken cutlets
1.5 lbs chicken cutlets, thin sliced
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp oil
cornflake crumbs

marinate cutlets overnight in mixture of honey, soy and oil. dredge in cornflake crumbs. arrange on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 for 20 minutes.

honey crumb chicken cutlets
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....crumb

herb roasted baby potatoes
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....bliss

tomato sauce
1 part tomato paste
1 part water
seasonings, to taste

Mix well.

duck sauce substitute
1 cup apricot jam/preserves
1/4 cup water
seasonings (soy sauce, garlic) to taste

Blend in processor.

onion powder
http://frugalliving.about.com/.....r.htm

or just process fresh onion in your food processor, and freeze in 1/4 cup increments to add to recipes

Sherri

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:00 pm
What did I tell you? Smile

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:23 pm
You are all so amazing!
I'm going to try one recipe at a time!
Thank you!!!

etky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 1:00 am
Ra-mom - about the broccoli kugel: I've been making this for years and years from a recipe from Sara Finkel's book which calls for regular mayo (could be there was no light mayo back in the eighties....) and it turns out fine. Of course I'd be thrilled to reduce the fat content by using the light mayo but I've always been nervous to do so. Does it really come out better with the light?.
Also to the OP, if calories are not a concern you can bake the kugel in a pie crust for a fancier dish. I only do this on special occasions but it does upgrade the recipe. Sanguine - you can use the Ma'adanot Batzek Parich (maluach). Just unroll it in a 9x 13 rectangular pyrex and pour the batter over it. I cut the leftover dough into strips and make a lattice topping which looks really pretty. It's a nice dish for a chag.
Another really easy dish is to microwave a bag of baby potatoes, split them in half when they're tender and toss with olive oil (I like to use a slightly assertive olive oil for this dish), minced garlic , salt and freshly ground black pepper and whatever herbs you like (I like thyme). You can crisp them up in the oven or serve as is.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 12:37 pm
etky wrote:
Ra-mom - about the broccoli kugel: I've been making this for years and years from a recipe from Sara Finkel's book which calls for regular mayo (could be there was no light mayo back in the eighties....) and it turns out fine. Of course I'd be thrilled to reduce the fat content by using the light mayo but I've always been nervous to do so. Does it really come out better with the light?.
Also to the OP, if calories are not a concern you can bake the kugel in a pie crust for a fancier dish. I only do this on special occasions but it does upgrade the recipe. Sanguine - you can use the Ma'adanot Batzek Parich (maluach). Just unroll it in a 9x 13 rectangular pyrex and pour the batter over it. I cut the leftover dough into strips and make a lattice topping which looks really pretty. It's a nice dish for a chag.
Another really easy dish is to microwave a bag of baby potatoes, split them in half when they're tender and toss with olive oil (I like to use a slightly assertive olive oil for this dish), minced garlic , salt and freshly ground black pepper and whatever herbs you like (I like thyme). You can crisp them up in the oven or serve as is.
My experience was that it was a bit heavy when made with full fat mayo.
Let me know the diff once you try with the low fat.

etky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 12:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My experience was that it was a bit heavy when made with full fat mayo.
Let me know the diff once you try with the low fat.

Will do - I'm hoping to make it for this Shabbat. The recipe I use calls for only 3/4 c. full fat mayo (I usually put in even a bit less) and 5 eggs. I will try it with the lite mayo and with the proportions in your recipe and see what happens.

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 10:02 am
3mitzvos wrote:

3 - Choc Chip Pound Cake:
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup

Preheat oven to 350F (175C) Grease 2 loaf pans. Beat eggs and sugar in bowl until fluffy. Add flour and oil alternately. Add vanilla sugar and baking powder. Mix until combined.

Pour about 1/4 of batter into each loaf pan. Drizzle 2 tbsp choc syrup over the batter. Use a knife to make it "swirly/marbled". Add 1/4 cup of choc chips over each syrup-ed batter. Divide the remaining half of the batter between the two pans. Drizzle batter again with choc syrup and sprinkle each with the remaining choc chips.

Bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool. This cake freezes well.

Can this recipe be made in larger loaf pans like challah loaf pans? I want to make it today, sounds great.

spring13

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 11:00 am
For people struggling with rice, get a rice cooker. There are good inexpensive ones that take the guesswork and clock watching out of it, and they can usually be used for things like oatmeal and vegetables and quinoa as well.

etky

Post Sat, Jan 25 2014, 2:54 pm
Ra-mom, I made the broccoli kugel with the lite mayo and I did like it much better that way. It was not only lighter but for some odd reason tastier too. Could be that the lite mayo is more seasoned that the regular mayo to compensate for the missing fat. I added an extra egg and used less salt (abt. 1 tsp) and it came out great. Thx!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus