Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Shocking! Stark killed over single $20,000 debt: Police
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 1:53 am
http://www.nydailynews.com/new.....tform

Despite owing millions to creditors, Brooklyn landlord, Menachem Stark, killed over single $20,000 debt: Police

Police say that, Brooklyn landlord, Menachem Stark, was killed over a single $20,000 debt despite owing tens of millions of dollars to different creditors. Stark was kidnapped on Jan. 2 and his burned body was found in a dumpster the following day on Long Island.

He owed creditors tens of millions of dollars - but police believe Brooklyn landlord Menachem Stark might have been killed over a single $20,000 debt.

A contractor Stark owed “about $20,000” to is being eyed as a suspect in his death, sources told the Daily News Thursday.

The contractor has links to both the van that was used in Stark’s Jan. 2nd kidnapping, and to a cell phone that was subsequently found attached to the undercarriage of Stark’s car, the sources said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seems like the police have the perp, but no one knows who it is besides police.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 2:03 am
I thought it would be someone he loaned money to and was foreclosing on.

It doesn't appear the police have the guy. They could be trying to shake him up.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 2:08 am
amother wrote:
I thought it would be someone he loaned money to and was foreclosing on.

It doesn't appear the police have the guy. They could be trying to shake him up.
Hello, the police are telling us the details just omitting the name! The van owner (knows the contractor) and the cellphone found under Starks car are both connected to the same contractor who Stark owed $20,000 to... They got the guy they just havent publicized who it is yet.......! It seems its imminent though.

Hakol Letovah

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:06 pm
I have seen a frum biz with a similar situation, lots of creditors. Banks, contractors, what not.
it does not take much for one angry guy, who is a small contractor, working hard to make a living, trusting a client, and then calling many times to never see his money.

I have seen them angry. When a working person feels he was taken advantage of, and then his calls are ignored, or he gets the run around, you never know how it will explode.

For the small repair guy/plumber/ electrician etc, $20,000 means much more than you can imagine.

I wonder when the wife ask husband "how do you plan to pay this guy", and she gets "dont worry", what does she think?

Ladies, please do worry. make sure the biz practice is Yoshor in eyes of Hashem and Everyone else.

Not speaking about Hashkafically, that we should deal with others in a way that is Kiddush Hashem.

CV not here to criticize.

I am sure the wife wishes she could bring things back and have worked things differently.

Mevater

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:40 pm
What puzzles me is- if the cops know the identity of the person who is connected to BOTH the van and the phone near the car, why hasnt the arrest been made or his identity publicized? Whats the advantage of hiding the identity of the perp if the police is clear about who it was, and from what was written in the papers they have it figured out... "owed 20,000 to....." etc? The police are certainly NOT looking to prevent LASHON HARA!!!!! Whats the point of not divulging the identity, or how hasnt the perp's identity leaked to the press????

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:45 pm
Mevater wrote:
What puzzles me is- if the cops know the identity of the person who is connected to BOTH the van and the phone near the car, why hasnt the arrest been made or his identity publicized? Whats the advantage of hiding the identity of the perp if the police is clear about who it was, and from what was written in the papers they have it figured out... "owed 20,000 to....." etc? The police are certainly NOT looking to prevent LASHON HARA!!!!! Whats the point of not divulging the identity, or how hasnt the perp's identity leaked to the press????

They probably don't have enough evidence to convict or they would have arrested already.

It sounds like they are trying to shake up the suspect.

2kiddos

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:04 pm
This is what I heard:

The contractor was hired To do a job. They agreed beforehand on a price. Once the job was done, the contractor asked for an additional $20k. Stark did not want to pay him te addl money he was asking for. The contractor kept in calling. Finally a week before this kidnapping, he decided to compromise and give 10k. The secretary tried
reaching the contractor but to no avail. In the meantime, this contractors, kids, heard tha their father worked hard and didn't get paid properly, got mad. So they decided to take matters in their own hands. Pp

Take whatever you wish......

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:08 pm
Fyi-the cops know a lot more that all of us. They don't share everything with the public. They have a lot of different leads. Wait patiently and you will know soon enough.

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:15 pm
2kiddos wrote:
This is what I heard:

The contractor was hired To do a job. They agreed beforehand on a price. Once the job was done, the contractor asked for an additional $20k. Stark did not want to pay him te addl money he was asking for. The contractor kept in calling. Finally a week before this kidnapping, he decided to compromise and give 10k. The secretary tried
reaching the contractor but to no avail. In the meantime, this contractors, kids, heard tha their father worked hard and didn't get paid properly, got mad. So they decided to take matters in their own hands. Pp

Very very far-fetched.

Mevater

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:19 pm
2kiddos wrote:
This is what I heard:

Interesting theory but I havent read even one bit of it anywhere on the internet.... so its probably just plain gossip. I just hope that the perp wont be one of us... because we'll be so ridiculed it wont be funny.... bec we consider ourselves "better" and more moral and civilized than all others. We all hope none of us would ever do anything like that, even if they werent intending to kill, only torture and scare, that would be horrendous and evil enough if ch"v masterminded by one of us.

2kiddos

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:22 pm
That's the worst it can get!!! I haven't heard anything going in that direction.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:26 pm
I think the police release to the public, only what they want the public to know. We have to wait, till the arrest is made.

Mevater

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:31 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
I think the police release to the public, only what they want the public to know. We have to wait, till the arrest is made.
So who forced the police to reveal that the contractor was owed 20,000,and was tied to the van owner and the phone? What benefit was there in revealing that much?

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 8:35 pm
Mevater wrote:
So who forced the police to reveal that the contractor was owed 20,000,and was tied to the van owner and the phone? What benefit was there in revealing that much?

As I said earlier they probably want to shake things up. They also want to show they are very active in this case.

Perhaps because it is the contractor's son's car and phone his dna is on them and can create reasonable doubt.

chavamom

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:12 pm
The article I read said the police believe the killing was accidental. They were trying to scare him, sat on him to subdue him and he was suffocated accidentally.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:18 pm
The neighborhood mentioned didn't sound like a known Jewish one to this non-NYer....my guess is that it was not a yid based on that.

Mini Cookie

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:28 pm
-----skip-----

Last edited by Mini Cookie on Tue, Nov 09 2021, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:30 pm
THis 'contractor' is a very very scary (Italian) guy. Other people I know who have done business with him say he's extremely tough, intimidating, scary. If it's the person the police are eyeing.

In a way the fact that the death was accidental makes it even sadder. It so didnt have to happen! argh!

Mevater

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:38 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
THis 'contractor' is a very very scary (Italian) guy.
How do you know who this contractor is or any info about him, while not a single newspaper with more connections than you have, knows anything about the contractor other than that he was owed $20,000 and the van and a phone he used were found?

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:47 pm
Hakol Letovah wrote:
I have seen a frum biz with a similar situation, lots of creditors. Banks, contractors, what not.
it does not take much for one angry guy, who is a small contractor, working hard to make a living, trusting a client, and then calling many times to never see his money.

I have seen them angry. When a working person feels he was taken advantage of, and then his calls are ignored, or he gets the run around, you never know how it will explode.

For the small repair guy/plumber/ electrician etc, $20,000 means much more than you can imagine.

I wonder when the wife ask husband "how do you plan to pay this guy", and she gets "dont worry", what does she think?

Ladies, please do worry. make sure the biz practice is Yoshor in eyes of Hashem and Everyone else.

Not speaking about Hashkafically, that we should deal with others in a way that is Kiddush Hashem.

CV not here to criticize.

I am sure the wife wishes she could bring things back and have worked things differently.

How can you imply all that you did in your post and then end with "not here to criticize"? Mind telling us what you were doing, if not that? My goodness, I hope nothing accidental ever happens in your family, and if it does that people don't post all the ways you can hope to redo it al Kiddush hashem.

I can't stand self-righteous posts. Take your mussar to another thread. Do you think this is necessary here? To quote you, "in the eyes of Hashem and everyone else," can you keep your thoughtless, unnecessary, holier-than-thou musings to yourself so the niftar's family doesn't have to read it?

Don't we have enough people on this board to point out his flaws???
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics