Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Manchester Eruv?

chouli

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:27 am
To all the Ladys from Manchester:
Is the Eruv accepted?
Can one use it without being stared at?
We are going to vivsit Manchester, soon. Our friends said that the Eruv is fine, but they don't use it because they don't need it.
What do you say?

TIA

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:08 am
I know there are some people who don't use it for whichever reasons but I also know that both my grandfathers, who are both prominent Rabbanim in the Manchester area both approve of it and are both using it.
My sister is using it if she needs it (ie pushing stroller to a meal not just carrying some candy in her pocket).

chouli

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 11:05 am
Thanks. I would also need it to take my kids out for a walk. Or maybe to carry my small one if she doesn't want to walk anymore.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 8:08 am
Hi, I live in Manchester and have been for the past 15 years. the answer to you're question is that it depends on which sort of segment of Jews you affiliate yourself with. Put very basically, the Manchester Beis Din and the Rabbonim of the united synagogues and the more modern kehillos have allowed one to carry. The rest of the Rabbonim in Manchester have either put letters in the shuls or said to their kehilla not to use it.

The Rabbonim who allow include:
Rabbi Beryl Cohen, Dayan Berger, Rabbi Yossi Chazan, Rabbi Brodie.

The Rabbonim who do not allow include:
Rabbi Shneebalg (the More Deasra), Dayan Whestheim, Rabbi Wreshner, Rabbi Goldberg, Rabbi Silbiger, Rabbi Ortzel, Rabbi Emanuel, Rabbi Rabinowitz, Rabbi Hoff, Rabbi Freidman, Rabbi Yossi Cohen, Rabbi Vovshi Kaufman, the Horedonka Rebbe.

You will have to decide if you lived in Manchester which Rov you would most likely follow.

Once you have asked a Rov what to do (which you obviously should since we are dealing with Shabbos here) who cares what others will say to you or the way they will look at you!!!

Yiddishkeit is about you and Hashem!

Enjoy Manchester!!!!!

mummy123

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 9:07 am
Like others said, it depends on the Rav. Personally we use it as my husbands Rav has said its kosher and if you trust the Manchester Beis din hechsher for everything else then no reason not to use it.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Hi, I live in Manchester and have been for the past 15 years. the answer to you're question is that it depends on which sort of segment of Jews you affiliate yourself with. Put very basically, the Manchester Beis Din and the Rabbonim of the united synagogues and the more modern kehillos have allowed one to carry. The rest of the Rabbonim in Manchester have either put letters in the shuls or said to their kehilla not to use it.

The Rabbonim who allow include:
Rabbi Beryl Cohen, Dayan Berger, Rabbi Yossi Chazan, Rabbi Brodie.

The Rabbonim who do not allow include:
Rabbi Shneebalg (the More Deasra), Dayan Whestheim, Rabbi Wreshner, Rabbi Goldberg, Rabbi Silbiger, Rabbi Ortzel, Rabbi Emanuel, Rabbi Rabinowitz, Rabbi Hoff, Rabbi Freidman, Rabbi Yossi Cohen, Rabbi Vovshi Kaufman, the Horedonka Rebbe.

You will have to decide if you lived in Manchester which Rov you would most likely follow.

Once you have asked a Rov what to do (which you obviously should since we are dealing with Shabbos here) who cares what others will say to you or the way they will look at you!!!

Yiddishkeit is about you and Hashem!

Enjoy Manchester!!!!!

R' Yitzchok R Rubin also allows it. (He does not have a US or MO shul. It is frum chasidish shul.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 3:41 pm
Who checks the eruv every week? Someone reliable, someone you can trust?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:39 pm
Just bumping this up. I am a different poster who will be visiting Manchester in a couple of months, with a baby in a stroller.
Just wondering if anything has changed since the initial posts on this thread. Are any more rabbonim on board with the Eruv now? How do I know if I can use the Eruv or not? Should I be asking this question of my own Rav here in my own city?
Please respond if you know of any changes, or any new RAbbonim who now hold that the Eruv is good after the initial holding that it is no good... Thanks

(I am really hoping to hear that it has become more acceptable, I really really dont want to be stuck in with my baby all of Shabbos!)

mummy123

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:54 pm
As far as I know there arent any more rabbonim who have changed what they hold against the eruv. It may be a good idea to ask your own rav. However dayan berger says that if one uses the eruv in yerushalayim then no reason to not use it here.

Signed by a happy mummy who can now get out on shabbos! ☺

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 3:02 pm
Thank you for responding to my question, mummy123.
I guess we will speak to our LOR for guidance.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 21 2015, 6:57 pm
Rabbi Goldberg allows his members of the shul to use it too.
ao do the belzers apparently now, their rebbe sent someone to check it who said it is perfectly fine to use.
Slowly but surely more people are starting to carry.
The whole thing is just political and everyone wants to look frummer than the other....

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:02 am
So sad. They have the huge opportunity for Europeans to have an eruv, and they do politics on women's cheshbon Sad

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:06 pm
Manchester eruv is definitely checked weekly. You should be able to check the status on Friday on their website or facebook page.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 3:22 am
amother wrote:
Rabbi Goldberg allows his members of the shul to use it too.
ao do the belzers apparently now, their rebbe sent someone to check it who said it is perfectly fine to use.
Slowly but surely more people are starting to carry.
The whole thing is just political and everyone wants to look frummer than the other....

Trying to find out if the eiruv is widely used in Prestwich now. I am coming to visit Manchester soon and would like to know if I willl be able to push my baby in her buggy on Shabbos. It will make a huge difference to my life! So now Rabbi Goldberg says the eiruv is okay. How about Rav Leibush Rabinowitzz and Rabbi wreschner? Thanks for responding.

wife613

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 4:36 am
I have seen plenty of people pushing their buggies in prestwich. If you would like to know what specific rabbonim have to say I would recommend you phone them and ask them. The eruv as a whole has become a lot more accepted in the community as a whole. Good luck

mummy123

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 6:29 am
R' Rabinowitz does not allow his shul to use the Eruv.

However, since R' Goldberg has permitted his shul to use it, there are a lot more people using it in the Prestwich area.

(I personally use it)

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:18 am
Thank you so much for the responses! Does the fact that Rav Leibush not hold by the Eiruv mean that if I am going to a simcha on shabbos at his shul then I cant bring my baby?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much for the responses! Does the fact that Rav Leibush not hold by the Eiruv mean that if I am going to a simcha on shabbos at his shul then I cant bring my baby?

Bumping in the hope I will get a response to this question Thanks again to previous responders.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics