Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
I want to learn to sew with a sewing machine...Info pls!

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:57 pm
I've always had this dream of learning how to sew so that I could make little things for myself and my family. I work full time (and a half, actually...), and I'm expecting my third child, so this would just be something to do instead of watching TV (and Gd knows I could use another excuse not to exercise....LOL).

Maybe now is the time to finally bite the bullet and just do it.....I want to learn to sew!

For those of you who know how to sew things on a sewing machine, I was wondering: Is it difficult? Require a lot of skill? How much time would I have to invest in lessons or self-teaching?

Mostly I'm dreaming of making beautiful burp cloths and blankets for my baby, and to give out as gifts when friends have children. I'm not yet thinking of making my own clothes or anything. I imagine I'd start with rather simple things, like squares and rectangles!!

What am I getting myself into? I'd love to know more. Any info is appreciated!!

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:21 pm
Where do u live? In bp tjeres Faigy Fishman giving an excellent course

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:32 pm
Not even close, unfortunately!!! Very small jewish community.

mynameismom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:35 pm
Its not too hard. You tube has tons of video tutorial and there are tons of sewing blogs where the bloggers take you on a photo filled sew along of a project. You will learn so much from them. Go for it!

mynameismom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:38 pm
Heres one from a quick google search http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQSMJhyFhcA

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 9:42 pm
Right.

http://www.youtube.com/results.....;sm=1

This frum blog is about sewing and might recommend a tutorial video if you wrote them. They have many tutorials about other sewing techniques.

http://modestanytime.blogspot......html#!/~/category/id=5425767&offset=0&sort=addedTimeDesc

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:12 pm
Basic sewing like you're describing is pretty easy. In the US, a basic machine costs about $100, which is pretty reasonable. I would say a couple of in-person lessons would give you a much better starting point than youtube if you have no prior experience. It's fun once you get comfortable with it.

imeinu

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:12 pm
I sew - not very professionally - but good enough to make my kids purim costumes or to do mending on the machine. I highly reccommend taking a beginners course. Often the sewing stores like Jo-Ann fabrics or others depending where you live offer courses. There's nothing like learning from a teacher and it doesn't take all that much time to get familiar with the machine.

Good luck and Go For It!

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:20 pm
Absolutely. Someone you know could show you in half an hour. It is indeed nice to have a person there. You might ask your rebbetzin for a recommendation.

tzniutfashion

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 4:22 pm
Home economics classes were part of my elementary and secondary school education, so I had plenty of sewing projects. But I also grew up with an antique sewing machine and learned to sew before those classes by watching my mom, obm, and my grandma, obm sew.

Sewing can be self-taught if you follow the instructions supplied with the sewing machine, learn from sewing videos on DVD such as Nancy's Notions, etc. and learn how to maintain the sewing machine well.

Sewing is so important in a Jewish home-maker's life, you can sew an entire wardrobe for your family.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 6:48 pm
the one thing in sewing - if you're self-teaching/learning ... patterns - despite having sizes need to be measured & fitted to your individual person ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics