Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Sisters Weiss by Naomi Ragen

booboo24

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:19 pm
Just finished it over shabbas, it was interesting, a good read however I didn't feel it was on par with her other books.

DallasIma

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 3:25 pm
I just got it out of the library after being on the waiting list for several months. I've read just about all of her other books, although it's been a while (I have some of them that I bought long ago, her first few novels).

The first thing that strikes me, as a BT, is her negative tone. I find it a little whiny. I didn't have the privilege of growing up in a frum home like the one she describes, so it feels to me like a poor person reading about the hardships of growing up rich. Yes, in real life I have seen more than my share of the seamy side of frum communities (one community in particular - not the one I'm in now), but there's something about the way she phrases things that sets my teeth on edge.

She almost always has interesting plot lines, so it's for that reason that I'm reading this one - and frankly I was curious. But I have to admit I feel a little guilty about even reading this book. (BTW my husband is not frum, so he could care less what I read.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room