Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Chatan watch inquiry
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:53 am
What is the average cost of a nice Chatan watch?
How much do people usually spend?
What do Chatanim like these days?
Please provide a link to all sugestions

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 1:36 am
Price depends on your circles, it varies widely. I'm strongly in favor of allowing him to choose it himself.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:48 am
Let him choose/ask him.
Mine did NOT want. He's a watch fan, has tons of them, knows them much more than us, and has all those he wants except the crazy priced ones... bh we didn't just buy a random nice watch. LOL

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:46 am
Do you let them choose and give them budget

amother

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:14 pm
you might bring them to the store and tell the shop keeper in advance what you want to spend so they show those watches.

My husbands was $1200 4 years ago which was cheap. I think today you may have to spend at least $2000 minimum for a gold watch which is insane if you ask me. But then again Kallah jewelery is a lot more!

Some chasanim are willing to forgo it or to go for a movado with a leather band or even a stainless watch for about $500. I hope your chasan feels that way.

My husband insisted on a gold watch. It wasn't easy for me to get my father to agree to it. Caused me a lot of agmas nefesh but I also didn't want my husband to feel like he was the only one from his family and friends who didn't get a gold watch when that's the norm. Really depends on what the norm is. None of my brothers chose to receive gold watches. They were all learning. My husband works.

Hatzlocha.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
you might bring them to the store and tell the shop keeper in advance what you want to spend so they show those watches.

My husbands was $1200 4 years ago which was cheap. I think today you may have to spend at least $2000 minimum for a gold watch which is insane if you ask me. But then again Kallah jewelery is a lot more!

Some chasanim are willing to forgo it or to go for a movado with a leather band or even a stainless watch for about $500. I hope your chasan feels that way.

My husband insisted on a gold watch. It wasn't easy for me to get my father to agree to it. Caused me a lot of agmas nefesh but I also didn't want my husband to feel like he was the only one from his family and friends who didn't get a gold watch when that's the norm. Really depends on what the norm is. None of my brothers chose to receive gold watches. They were all learning. My husband works.

Hatzlocha.

Why didn't you pay the difference yourself? I actually paid in full for my husband's watch... It was the only big gift that was from me and not my parents.

BZBEE

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:52 pm
Go to your local jeweler and choose some watches within your budget. If the jeweler knows you, he may allow you to take them home overnight to show the chosson so he can choose.
Otherwise tell them to put it aside and tell them the chossons name and that he will be coming by.
If the chosson does not like anything within your range, he can always add his own $$$.

I have seen kallahs do this plenty of times whilst they are in the store.

Thank G-d my husband doesn't have very expensive taste, and he chose a stainless steel which is what his friends were all into at the time.
But we did give him a choice of 2 yellow gold, 2 white gold and stainless steel. My dad got lucky lol.

That being said, I did pay myself for the becher, as well as the esrog pushka.

My parents would love to give everything, but are not millionaires. I would never expect anything from them or ask for more than they can give.
Whatever they gave was extremely generous, and if I wanted to give something extra, I got it myself.

pearly1

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 12:53 pm
Ask him if he wants a gold watch or a stainless steel very popular price should be around 2000 dollars

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:

Hatzlocha.

You are implying that kollel men are ready for forgo gold watches while those bad working men need them. That is wrong. This has to do with personality, and an individual need to conform and be like everyone else. Nothing to do with kollel vs. work.

mandr

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 2:14 pm
I work at a watch place so I got a good deal on a stainless steel watch. Turns out my husband wanted a gold one because he pointed out that you only get a gold one this one time and the stainless steel ones you get for other occasions. He was right, so I found one for the same price in gold. It was about $4000. It was also a designer brand, not one of those companies you only find in Jewish stores. My husband enjoys it a lot.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 3:40 pm
You don't necessarily get davka a watch for other occasions. You can also get or buy a gold watch for any occasion, though.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:30 pm
When we got engaged my father took dh to the watch store and told them his budget before and let dh choose from about 3 watches his ended up costing around 600/700 GBP something like that.
With my next sister my father did the same and my bil chose the same watch as dh.
With the third sister my father flew out for the lechaim to where they were and picked up the exact same watch in duty free for a couple hundred pounds less. So now all 3 son in laws have the same and all 3 love it Smile

But it does largely depend on your community. Are you buying him an every day silver watch? A gold watch? A mixed?
What is your budget?
Definitely ask him what he wants though if he prefers a weekday or shabbos watch, a pocket watch or a wrist watch and then give him a choice of 2/3 that are within your budget.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:38 pm
I spent $300 on my husband's watch (which he absolutely loves!) and used the money that we saved towards a down payment on a house. People should be thinking about their future, not wasting money on petty gifts that have no foundation in halacha. Something tells me that Avraham and Moshe did not walk around with a Movado or gold watch.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 8:44 pm
MrsDash wrote:
I spent $300 on my husband's watch (which he absolutely loves!) and used the money that we saved towards a down payment on a house. People should be thinking about their future, not wasting money on petty gifts that have no foundation in halacha. Something tells me that Avraham and Moshe did not walk around with a Movado or gold watch.

Um what? You make it sound as though it's against halacha to buy someone a gift. Actually, if you want to look at the avos you can glance at the gifts Eliezer brought for Rivka. Gold jewelry from head to toe.

Certainly people who can't afford it should spend their money wisely.

shoshana2

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 9:01 pm
The price of the watch should be what you can afford. You can get a nice one in any price range.
Lately the chasanim are into the leather band dress watches

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 10:19 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Um what? You make it sound as though it's against halacha to buy someone a gift. Actually, if you want to look at the avos you can glance at the gifts Eliezer brought for Rivka. Gold jewelry from head to toe.

Certainly people who can't afford it should spend their money wisely.

I dont understand why in these gift threads, people bring up Eliezer and Rivka. Remember who the FIL was - Avraham Avinu was the wealthiest man of the time! Thats no reason to expect these expencive gifts. I feel like had he knew that people would use the well story as a yard stick, he wouldnt have done it.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 10:25 pm
watergirl wrote:
I dont understand why in these gift threads, people bring up Eliezer and Rivka. Remember who the FIL was - Avraham Avinu was the wealthiest man of the time! Thats no reason to expect these expencive gifts. I feel like had he knew that people would use the well story as a yard stick, he wouldnt have done it.

Yeah, I'm totally not that person who think expensive gifts are necessary. I was actually just responding to a specific post claiming that its silly to spend money on gifts, using the avos to say they were way above that. It's silly to spend money you don't have, but for those who have- what's the tragedy in buying your finance one nice watch? Seriously, that money would have been a drop in the bucket if I'd saved it for rent money. My dh is still wearing the watch and appreciates it after several years of marriage. Gifts are not worthless.

(And mefarshim discuss the symbolic spiritual meaning behind those gifts)

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 10:30 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Something tells me that Avraham and Moshe did not walk around with a Movado or gold watch.

Not a good comparison...
If you wear a sheitel- I don't think Sara and Rivka wore sheitels.
Do you drive? They didn't do that either...
Do you live in a comfortable house? I think they lived in tents.

Times have changed...
Not saying to spend a zillion dollars, but I'm just saying that I don't think that is a good comparison.

zohar

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:20 pm
An old '70s joke from my mom. Teenage boy asks dad for a car. Dad says "not until you you cut your hair."
Teen: "Even the prophets had long hair."
Dad: "And everywhere they went, they WALKED"

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 5:28 am
My DS received a regular nice watch for $400. He didn't get to choose. We told him it was amazing, wonderful & that my DH wants one too! My DS is thrilled with his watch.
We were surprised he didn't get to choose but said nothing.
BTW we spent $5k on DIL's jewlery & she got to choose everything.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics