Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Stretch Salmon

coconutbutter

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:23 am
I am making dinner for someone and prepared salmon and sweet potato fries. It just occurred to me that there is definitely not enough salmon and I need ideas asap on how to stretch it! Being that I already prepared the sweet potato fries stretching the dish with pasta seems too much carbs and starch. What goes??

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:27 am
I'd say you can save the fries for another time and you should do the pasta thing. Or you can prepare another vegetable (not starchy) and/or salad and serve the fries anyway, if there's enough balance in the meal.

Salmon with pasta is a good idea. Salmon risotto (with peas) is also nice, but more work.

coconutbutter

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:29 am
Ok...So how do I do the salmon with pasta without the salmon breaking too much? Or is it supposed to just be flaked salmon with the spaghetti? Do you have a recipe by chance? Such a shame being that the fries are already in the oven :'(

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:32 am
I don't have a recipe, but there are loads on Epicurious.com.

Here's what I would do. I'd find a nice pasta recipe that would go well with salmon. Then I'd bake the salmon, break it or cut it into small pieces, and either place it around on top (making sure they get some with every serving) or very gently mixing it in, to keep the pieces nice.

If the fries are great, serve them. Just add a vegetable and say, "Hope you like carbs!" I mean, if they're great, they'll still be appreciated.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:34 am
Here's an example of one. Some of the reviewers thought it was a bit bland so I'd probably tinker with it, but it does look pretty:

http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....64550

or this one?

http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....-1983

another one, but obviously you'd have to sub vegetable stock for the chicken stock:

http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....32148

coconutbutter

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:41 am
Hey thanks for looking those up for me. Much appreciated

sky

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:47 am
What about a soup and salad? or soup and orzo (another starch)?

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:50 am
Did you already cook the salmon? If not, you could try making salmon patties (stretched with bread crumbs, onion, even mashed potato) and serve with rolls/buns, which would still go well with the sweet potato fries. Though it would be a bit more work.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 11:54 am
I like that this conversation includes posters named Sweet Potato and Coconut Butter. You both sound delicious.

abaker

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 4:04 pm
serve the salmon over a big green salad...lettuce,peppers,tomatoes,carrots,cucumber,chickpeas,beans,etc if its for adults/older children. salad will be very filling with just a little salmon on top.

or serve soup first, will also help to fill you up before the salmon.

make something else, like fish sticks or tuna casserole for the little kids and serve salmon to the others.

cbg

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 4:10 pm
A hot soup would be greatly appreciated especially since it's so cold.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 5:02 pm
Right-o, my S/N sounds junky but here's a thought.

You can just do salmon and vegetable stir-fry. It's not starchy, you can stick to the original sweet potato fries and stretch the salmon. Cut salmon into smaller pieces (not quite bite size), marinate in either teriyaki sauce or equal part OJ/soysauce. Cut all vegetables in similar sizes, you can use red/green peppers, carrots, courgettes, red onions, salad onion, mushrooms, babycorn, waterchestnuts, snowpeas, celery etc. You can stirfry fish first, remove to a platter, then fry vegetable (make sure they stay still crisp).

Alternatively you can do salmon patties. Finely chop salmon (best done if you whiz cut salmon pieces in PULSE motion in the food processor, don't keep on running--otherwise it will turn into paste ), add 1 egg 1-2tbsp matza meal or breadcrumb and 1/2 finely chopped onion to 1lb salmon, season (salt, pepper, paprika), mix and let rest for 10-15min. Make into small patties and shallow fry. You can also add chopped scallion or shredded carrots.

gittelchana

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 12:19 am
coconutbutter wrote:
I am making dinner for someone and prepared salmon and sweet potato fries. It just occurred to me that there is definitely not enough salmon and I need ideas asap on how to stretch it! Being that I already prepared the sweet potato fries stretching the dish with pasta seems too much carbs and starch. What goes??

Salmon is great with rice and wild rice. Add a salad and you're stuffed with not that much salmon per person.

willow

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 5:46 am
Salmon stirfry or curry?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics