Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Glass table cover questions

optimist

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:44 pm
1. is glass a good choice to cover my wooden dining room table?

2. If so, will annealed (standard) glass work or should I pay more for tempered glass which is officially 4x6 times stronger. When broken, annealed glass breaks into shards and tempered glass breaks into tiny pieces

3. My dining room table doesn't have a standard edge. Should I pay more for an exact cutout or should I choose one of the standard edges available that look most decent? (I want the table to be protected and look nice, but if the edges aren't perfect I don't think I'd care. However, I don't have experience and I don't want to be disappointed with the final look.)

Thank You!

optimist

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 4:45 pm
the glass tablecover that I'm looking at is from
http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/store/

Queen18

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 5:05 pm
I have glass covering my wood dining room table. I had a store that does glass/windows/mirrors come measure it and they made it exactly as needed. You can do one piece or if your table can be made bigger and smaller, multiple pieces so that your table can have glass on it whatever the size.

optimist

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 5:24 pm
My table is one piece. How much did you pay approximately? I'm in california and so far I've gotten 2 quotes. one sad 1000 and one said 500. my table is standard except the four corners have an interesting cut.
sterns furniture in boro park told me that they know a company in brklyn who does it for 300.

I don't know what is a reasonable price.

optimist

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 5:24 pm
my table is a 7 ft table

sky

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 5:59 pm
My table is 7 1/2 feet closed.
They came down and traced the edges and cut it in 2 pieces because my table opens. I think it is about 120 a side (we just replaced it). I don't think it was special glass. It just broke again - broke in pieces and not shards.
You don't want squared edges if the corners are round. There may be sharp corners and the table cloth may not drape well.

I have a plastic - glass look alike - I forget what it is called cut for the leaves for when the table is opened so the table is level. I don't remember what that cost. It doesn't break and weights a lot less. but scratches easily.

I love it. In 9 years we have broken it three times with very active children. Once it was hit with a knife during the meal through the table cloth, which happens regularly, but that time it cracked, once it was hit hard with a large jawbreaker, and once my kids tried lifting it to clean underneath and banged it into the other piece of glass. We do not treat it with kids gloves. The most recent time I just taped it together with packing tape. It needs to be Windexed regularly. It is a pain when a lot of liquid spills it sometimes gets trapped between the glass and the table and can be a pain to clean.

optimist

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 6:07 pm
Thank you.
The quotes I've been getting have been mostly above 500$. Dunno why things are so expensive here!

optimist

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 6:28 pm
will it look funny if the corners of my table (that have some fancy design) doesn't have a custom cutout and just juts out from a standard shaped glass cover?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics