Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Healthy shehakol dessert?
1  2  Next

myname1

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 3:25 am
I'm looking for a relatively healthy dessert that would be shahakol. Most healthy or healthy-ish things seem to be ha-eitz/ha-adomah. Any ideas? Thanks!

agreer

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 4:20 am
Sugar free jello

sjp613

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 4:55 am
I make a peanut butter mousse with tofu or a chocolate pie with soy milk, compared to using whip they are relatively healthy and less fattening but obviously they still have sugar and a fair ammount of calories, otherwise you could make fruit sorbet its shehakol and quite healthy, unless you are aiming for sugar free.

shirachadasha

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 6:13 am
Applesauce or other fruit puree.

abaker

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 11:36 am
sjp613 wrote:
I make a peanut butter mousse with tofu or a chocolate pie with soy milk, compared to using whip they are relatively healthy and less fattening but obviously they still have sugar and a fair ammount of calories, otherwise you could make fruit sorbet its shehakol and quite healthy, unless you are aiming for sugar free.

do you mind posting the chocolate pie recipe? I never use whip and it's hard to find rrecipes that don't use it

myname1

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 12:30 pm
Thanks so much for all the ideas! I guess I'll do some sort of puree. Too cold for sorbet right now! I was thinking applesauce, but I thought that would be ha-eitz if homemade. But I guess if it's mushed up enough, it should be shehakol. I actually once had a kiwi applesauce (not sure if it included apples, too, or just kiwi) that was really good. Does anyone have specific recipes for purees/sauces like that?

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:25 pm
Every week, I make a wonderful dessert from the cookbook: Norene's Healthy Kitchen by Norene Gilletz

Chocolate Tofu Mousse:

1 pkg (16 oz/ 500g) extra firm or firm silken tofu, well drained
3/4 cup granular Splenda or granulated sugar (I substitute with Stevia)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla or almond extract
Frozen light whipped topping (I use another recipe with coconut milk, or tofu)
Grated semi sweet chocolate for garnish. (I never do this.)

1) In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process teh tofu for 1 to 2 minutes or until very smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add Splenda, cocoa and vanilla nad process until blended, about 20 seconds longer.

2)Transfer the mixture into four parfait or wine glasses; garnish with whipped topping and grated chocolate. Chill for 1 to 2 hours, or until serving time.

Chef's secrets:
Some brands of silken tofu come in a 12 oz package. Use 2 packages and make 1 1/2 times the recipe. (I myself always double the recipe.)

Silken tofu can be used instead of whipped cream or whipped dessert topping.

Here are two ways I make the whipped cream:

I chill a can of coconut milk. Then I take the fat out of the water part, and whip it up. Mix in some vanilla and sweetener, such as Stevia, agave syrup or honey. Here is an online recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/.....rial/

For tofu, you can pretty much do the same thing. Blend it, and add some vanilla, and a sweetener.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:30 pm
myname1 wrote:
Thanks so much for all the ideas! I guess I'll do some sort of puree. Too cold for sorbet right now! I was thinking applesauce, but I thought that would be ha-eitz if homemade. But I guess if it's mushed up enough, it should be shehakol. I actually once had a kiwi applesauce (not sure if it included apples, too, or just kiwi) that was really good. Does anyone have specific recipes for purees/sauces like that?

I just cook apples (the more the better imo) with a little bit of water and some honey - cook for a while, mixing every so often till its a soft mush

abaker

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:34 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
Every week, I make a wonderful dessert from the cookbook: Norene's Healthy Kitchen by Norene Gilletz

Chocolate Tofu Mousse:

1 pkg (16 oz/ 500g) extra firm or firm silken tofu, well drained
3/4 cup granular Splenda or granulated sugar (I substitute with Stevia)
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla or almond extract
Frozen light whipped topping (I use another recipe with coconut milk, or tofu)
Grated semi sweet chocolate for garnish. (I never do this.)

1) In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process teh tofu for 1 to 2 minutes or until very smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add Splenda, cocoa and vanilla nad process until blended, about 20 seconds longer.

2)Transfer the mixture into four parfait or wine glasses; garnish with whipped topping and grated chocolate. Chill for 1 to 2 hours, or until serving time.

Chef's secrets:
Some brands of silken tofu come in a 12 oz package. Use 2 packages and make 1 1/2 times the recipe. (I myself always double the recipe.)

Silken tofu can be used instead of whipped cream or whipped dessert topping.

Here are two ways I make the whipped cream:

I chill a can of coconut milk. Then I take the fat out of the water part, and whip it up. Mix in some vanilla and sweetener, such as Stevia, agave syrup or honey. Here is an online recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/.....rial/

For tofu, you can pretty much do the same thing. Blend it, and add some vanilla, and a sweetener.

thanks sounds delicious! cant wait to try it!

cbg

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 1:48 pm
How about a crustless pareve cheesecake.
I don't have a recipe though.
Pudding using almond milk.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 2:57 pm
There is a puree' that uses pinaples. Im not sure exactly the bracha tho

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 3:17 pm
Out of curiosity why must be a something a bracha shehakol only?

spring13

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 4:15 pm
Check out the blog "Chocolate Covered Katie," she has lots of unusual healthy desserts, many/most of which are friendly to dairy and gluten free diets. I know there's at least one chocolate pudding recipe.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 6:01 pm
one cup honey
one cup unsweetened peanut butter

bring honey to a boil. boil on medium flame for eight minutes (keep an eye on it. it can burn on a flame too high). turn off flame. mix in peanut butter. spoon into candy cups. allow to cool.

this is toffee, btw. it's delicious, addictive, and high calorie. but you recognize the ingredients.

edited to add that you can add 3/4 cup of chopped pecans with the peanut butter if you want the texture.

cbg

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 6:28 pm
This might sound weird, but it's delicious and extremely nutritious. Chocolate avocado mousse. I make it all the time.

Ingredients
Avocado
Vanilla extract
Cocoa powder
Natural sweetener like stevia or agave (I use birch xylitol)
Blend it all up in a food processor. Try not to over process

I don't know exact amounts, I just add cocoa and sweetener to taste.
The recipe called for dates as well, but I prefer to leave them out of the mousse

I also make it in a pie. The crust is walnuts and dates.

It's also great for pesach

By the way the first time I made this for Shabbat, I started picking at it shabbat afternoon. I ate almost 1/2 the pie. When I got on the scale Sunday, I had lost 2lbs. Good fats don't make you gain weight.

Here is the link for the recipe www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsP3E73bAJw

sjp613

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 4:15 am
to Abaker who requested chocolate pie with soy milk here is the recipe.
This recipe originally appeared in Mishpacha and since we have tried to cut down on our use of whip has become a family favorite
Crust: use a graham cracker pie crust/make your own or even leave crustless for a healthier version (and shehakol)
Filling: 2 cups soy milk
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg(I leave this out as I have an allergic child and it comes out fine)
2oz good quality pareve choc, chopped
1tsp vanilla
Combine ½ cup soy milk with sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, salt and egg in a large bowl, blending it with a whisk. Set aside
Heat remaining 11/2 cups soy milk in small pot over med-high flame till very hot and tiny bubbles form round edge. Remove from heat.
Gradually add hot soy milk to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with whisk.
Return entire mixture to pit.
Add chocolate and cook over med flame till thick and bubbly (5-7 mins) stirring constantly. Lower flame and cook for about 2 mins stirring constantly (do not leave as it sticks very easily) Mixture should be quite thick.
Remove pot from heat stir in vanilla and pour into crust or pie plate if not using crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours. I have found this generally freezes well)
Original recipe suggests topping with meringue, and does give the option of using splenda instead of sugar. You can also top with grated chocolate to make it look prettier.
this makes enough to fill one graham cracker crust (although not right to the top),I have never tried to double the recipe.

abaker

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 3:28 pm
cbg wrote:
This might sound weird, but it's delicious and extremely nutritious. Chocolate avocado mousse. I make it all the time.

Ingredients
Avocado
Vanilla extract
Cocoa powder
Natural sweetener like stevia or agave (I use birch xylitol)
Blend it all up in a food processor. Try not to over process

I don't know exact amounts, I just add cocoa and sweetener to taste.
The recipe called for dates as well, but I prefer to leave them out of the mousse

I also make it in a pie. The crust is walnuts and dates.

It's also great for pesach

By the way the first time I made this for Shabbat, I started picking at it shabbat afternoon. I ate almost 1/2 the pie. When I got on the scale Sunday, I had lost 2lbs. Good fats don't make you gain weight.

Here is the link for the recipe www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsP3E73bAJw

I have lots of avocados and wanted to make this for shabbos. if you make it friday afternoon does it taste good the next day? I figured the avocado would turn brown (even though you cant see it with the cocoa) like guacamole does.

also do you serve it chilled?

abaker

Post Fri, Jan 24 2014, 3:33 pm
sjp613 wrote:
to Abaker who requested chocolate pie with soy milk here is the recipe.
This recipe originally appeared in Mishpacha and since we have tried to cut down on our use of whip has become a family favorite
Crust: use a graham cracker pie crust/make your own or even leave crustless for a healthier version (and shehakol)
Filling: 2 cups soy milk
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg(I leave this out as I have an allergic child and it comes out fine)
2oz good quality pareve choc, chopped
1tsp vanilla
Combine ½ cup soy milk with sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, salt and egg in a large bowl, blending it with a whisk. Set aside
Heat remaining 11/2 cups soy milk in small pot over med-high flame till very hot and tiny bubbles form round edge. Remove from heat.
Gradually add hot soy milk to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with whisk.
Return entire mixture to pit.
Add chocolate and cook over med flame till thick and bubbly (5-7 mins) stirring constantly. Lower flame and cook for about 2 mins stirring constantly (do not leave as it sticks very easily) Mixture should be quite thick.
Remove pot from heat stir in vanilla and pour into crust or pie plate if not using crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours. I have found this generally freezes well)
Original recipe suggests topping with meringue, and does give the option of using splenda instead of sugar. You can also top with grated chocolate to make it look prettier.
this makes enough to fill one graham cracker crust (although not right to the top),I have never tried to double the recipe.

thank you! I love this thread I have 3 or 4 new recipes to try. Very Happy

abaker

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 11:18 am
cbg...I made the avocado chocolate pudding....it got eaten friday night....all of it! don't know if I used your exact recipe but it was so good! no one even noticed the avocado...dh asked if there was banana in it...I said no and everyone kept eating...we loved it!will def make it again

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 11:52 am
I once served a Shehakol dessert and a guest asked for a Mezonos for the bracha. I didn't serve that dessert again !!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics