Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Cut Me Loose - By Leah Vincent. Anyone read it? Thoughts?
  Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14

marina

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 6:00 am
Yeah. You know what? If you feel comfortable extrapolating from Leah Vincent to the entire huge OTD world, I guess it's okay for us to extrapolate from Yosef Mizrachi to the frum world. Try that ugliness on for size.

marina

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 6:02 am
amother wrote:
Suicide comes from inner emotional turmoils that burst - OTDs are usually seeking for satisfaction and happiness and when going there just doesn't happen only finds them going down down.

Plse learn more about suicide and its causes. Separately, please learn more about OTD people.

Last edited by marina on Tue, May 10 2016, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

marina

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 6:05 am
amother wrote:
Suicide comes from inner emotional turmoils that burst - OTDs are usually seeking for satisfaction and happiness and when going there just doesn't happen only finds them going down down.

I'm going to go through all the suicidal posts on imamother and conclude that religious people are usually seeking satisfaction and happiness and when becoming more religious doesn't bring them satisfaction or happiness they all just get depressed and suicidal.

marina

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 6:07 am
If your belief system requires you to imagine that everyone outside of it is mentally unwell and suicidal, perhaps you might think about what purpose that serves in keeping people in the fold and also why people can't be kept in without that.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 6:55 am
Whew I knew I would hit a raw nerve by pointing out the OTD crowd doesn't find happiness but I didn't expect it to be so raw...

And please don't tell me I'm being offensive. One thing I've learned from the OTD crowd is that being offensive and obnoxious is the way to bring awareness of issues of concern to society...

marina

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
Whew I knew I would hit a raw nerve by pointing out the OTD crowd doesn't find happiness but I didn't expect it to be so raw...

And please don't tell me I'm being offensive. One thing I've learned from the OTD crowd is that being offensive and obnoxious is the way to bring awareness of issues of concern to society...

In the last 2 weeks there have been abt 10 depression/ suicide threads just in the "emotional issues" forum here on imamother.

I hope I'm not hitting a raw nerve by pointing out how vapid and meaningless and harmful religion is by driving people to depression and suicide in droves. But if I am being offensive and ignorant, it's totally fine. After all, that's how Amother Firebrick thinks we should bring important issues to the surface.

Clarissa

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 8:03 am
I don't get things veering off to this extent. Leah Vincent is one person with her own family and her own issues. People who commit suicide usually are people that suffer from depression and/or have been through difficult circumstances of one kind or another. Being on or off the derech doesn't seem to be really relevant except to say that people sometimes go off after terrible circumstances (molestation, abuse, losing their children etc.) and that can certainly damage them or exacerbate already existing emotional problems, but it's not the going off the derech that kills them. Losing family, not having a home, not having an adequate support system doesn't help someone who is already suffering for one reason or another. But all sorts of people attempt suicide for all sorts of reasons.

Off topic, but Amother Firebrick sounds like the name of a suffragette.

justcallmeima

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 9:12 am
amother wrote:

Nebach

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:18 am
amother wrote:

If one day you get society's attention, what advice will you give it?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:49 am
A Kickstarter by Leah Vincent https://www.kickstarter.com/pr.....valor

40 playing cards celebrating 40 phenomenal women

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 8:08 am
Sorry our role models are Sarah Rivka Leah Sara Schnirer Reb.Kanievsky Reb.Kaplan and many more like these
Page 14 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14 Recent Topics