Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Hot plate/ plata recommendations

Tapuzi

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 2:31 pm
My electric hot plate that I inherited from my mother has died. Does anyone have one that they like? I hear the Israheat ones are too hot. I've searched through old threads but thought maybe I could get some recent recommendations. I am in the US, would love to order on Amazon though I could buy from a Heimish store as well.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 4:45 pm
I just went to a neighborhood store and bought a size large.

Tapuzi

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 8:29 pm
If you like it, would you please tell me what brand/ type it is?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:42 pm
I have no idea.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 8:57 pm
Tapuzi wrote:
My electric hot plate that I inherited from my mother has died. Does anyone have one that they like? I hear the Israheat ones are too hot. I've searched through old threads but thought maybe I could get some recent recommendations. I am in the US, would love to order on Amazon though I could buy from a Heimish store as well.

I've been looking for one. If you go to Amazon please find out not what the dimensions are but what the usable measurements are. They measure from handles, knobs, who knows what and you won't find out without researching. I think your best bet is to buy heimish.

Petra

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 9:32 pm
I have a toastess warming tray. So far works great. Doesnt burn anything. Got it from amazon. Tried an israeli brand and thought it was junk and sent it back.

tweety1

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 10:36 pm
I use a griddle for a hot plate. Got idea from my sil. Love it

etky

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 12:34 am
I"m curious about how this works in the US. Here in Israel the plattot are authorized by Machon Tzomet or other such organizations for Shabbat use. I assume this means that the heat that they emit is below a certain level that would constitute "bishul". If there are 'heimish' brands of platot in the US I imagine they are similarly authorized. But how does one ascertain regarding appliances not specially designed for Shabbat use that they meet the halachic critera necessary for their operation on Shabbat - especially if they have temperature controls (which the ones sold in Israel do not) which also pose a halachic problem? And if the temperature is adjustable then how do you know which heat level is halachically permissable? Do you just leave it on the lowest level? Are there certain brands and model numbers that are considered OK for Shabbat use?

Petra

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 12:50 am
Mine is not adjustable. There are no knobs and I made sure it was kosher. I asked my LOR.

ROFL

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 1:09 am
The ones sold in the frum community are much hotter than the one I got on line. I found that the frum ones were not adjustable and burned my food , until it burned it self out one Shabbat .
I don't recall what brand I have now. It does have controls that my DH covers with foil every week.
We also put an upside tin on top of the hot plate then we put our dry food on that tin to warm our food.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 10:43 am
Reviving the thread. The popular brands seem to be Israheat, Topheat, and ChefsAid with storekeepers saying Topheat is best. Anyone have one? Any thoughts? And what size would you recommend? Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note