Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Preparing Shnitzel in advance

coconutbutter

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 5:49 am
I like to make my suppers earlier in the day so that I can just pop them in the oven right before dinner and it's fresh and does not affect my work time. Can I prepare Shnitzel in advance by egging and breading it and letting it sit in the fridge all afternoon or is that not good for health reasons or something like that?? And does it affect its taste at all? Like will the bread crumbs get too soggy? On the topic of Shnitzel...anyone have original ideas to make it extra tasty? I was wondering if I could crush up crackers instead of using breadcrumbs....what do you say??

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 6:03 am
The bread crumbs, crackers, or whatever you use will get super soggy and gross.

Cook them ahead of time, but don't let them get toasty. Then you can store them in the fridge safely. When it's time to eat, pop them in the oven just long enough to take the chill off and give them a bit of golden color, and they'll taste fresh and crunchy on the outside.

Cold, cooked shnitzel is really good if you slice it thin and toss it in a salad for a light lunch. DH loves it.

emunahmother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:35 am
I use cornflake crumbs and do leave in the fridge. It's usually only a few hrs and I know a lot if ppl who do this. I also sometimes buy double and bread it all right away and freeze half breaded.

myself

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:55 am
I often freeze them breaded and they are great.

nechamad

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 8:14 am
I spread the cutlets with a thin layer of mayo and dip in cornflake crumbs, then freeze them in 9X13 foil pans, and bake them when I need them. They come out great.

Happy 2B

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 12:25 pm
They do not get soggy at all. I prepare it Thursday night and bake it on Friday afternoon. Definitely no need to cook them in advance. I also prepare several batches sometimes at a time and freeze them. So if you really want to save time buy a family pack or two of cutlets prepare them in 9x13's and freeze them then just take it out let it thaw in the fridge and pop it in the oven. Definitely not mushy or soggy at all!!! Never has been by me and I do it every single week. They come out crunchy and delicious!!

You can try potato chips instead of bread crumbs, seasoned cornflake crumbs or even bread crumbs mixed with ground nuts for other options.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 12:27 pm
Dipping in duck sauce gives a great flavor also, but the crumbs don't stay on well...

m+m

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 12:36 pm
I coat them in flour then egg, then seasoned corn flake crumbs. You can freeze it this way, or cook right away. I have left it refrigerated and it works well too.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 12:49 pm
I coat with corn flake crumbs and put in the fridge or freezer before baking. I spray with pam before sticking in the oven.

For something different you could try this. http://overtimecook.com/2013/0.....auce/

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 2:21 pm
Maybe you could buy ready made?

mandr

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 2:33 pm
Take regular corn flakes and crush those lightly with a glass. It's MUCH better than prepared corn flake crumbs. You can add a pinch of salt, garlic powder, and black pepper for some flavor.

I've also tried with crushed Corn Chex. Great too! Same with Rice Krispies.

For a variation, you can make different dipping sauces instead of using plain ketchup. Like citrus honey mustard, garlic mayo, spicy mayo etc.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 2:53 pm
You can freee them breaded. I add a little soy sauce, and oil to the eggs to jazz it up a bit. If you like spicy add a bit of franks hot sauce the eggs.

reportrmom

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 3:46 pm
I do this all the time. I will clean and bread ten to fifteen pounds of chicken cutlets. Dip in egg and then in breading of your choice. I freeze it in layers with parchment paper between the layers. Just pop in hot oil when you need a quick supper. I have also baked these but they take a while and you must be on top of it or they get dried out.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 3:49 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Maybe you could buy ready made?

ready made chicken schnitzle might contain lots of rubbish....also more expensive.

Dolly1

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 4:45 pm
I do that all the time. I even freeze the schnitzel ready egged and crumbed so that I just have to drop it into the pan right before supper. It does NOT get soggy, nor does it taste gross. As a matter of fact; u cant even tell the difference!
I add garlic powder to the breadcrumbs. it gives it a delicious taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey