Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you feel beautiful/comfortable with yourself?
1  2  3  Next

lotte

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:59 pm
A friend of mine asked me once what we do on Sundays-I told her we love going to Short Hills mall in NJ.she asked me:"REALLY?you feel comfortable going there?
All the shoppers are so skinny trendy gorgeous!"

This friend of mine is skinny and beautiful too and she told me she feels ugly and shlochy when she goes to such fancy places.
I thought she was funny..
How do you feel when you go to fancy rich places?

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 3:01 pm
let's get dressed up and go to Saks ... so we can fit in ... and not be able to buy anything ... but be glamorous darling

Mom2Three

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 3:02 pm
teneleven wrote:

How do you feel when you go to fancy rich places?
I don't go. If I did, I'd feel horribly out of place.

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 3:05 pm
humm...that's complicated...

I always feel VERY uncomfortable.. But sometimes I need to get something in those stores... Usually sales ladies avoid me, as it does not look like I have money to spend (typically do not, but sometimes I do)

It's just the way of the world... we do what we can, and malls are a good venue for walking around on a bad weather day

lotte

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 3:13 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
humm...that's complicated...

I always feel VERY uncomfortable.. But sometimes I need to get something in those stores... Usually sales ladies avoid me, as it does not look like I have money to spend (typically do not, but sometimes I do)

It's just the way of the world... we do what we can, and malls are a good venue for walking around on a bad weather day

I read a survey once in the newspaper..that when women want to get upgrade at airlines-if they show up at the airport looking good,high heels,make up,parfum & jewelry they have 90% more chances getting upgraded than women who dont take good care of themselves.
Yesterday I was at Henry Bendel in the city-I did NOT wear heels or fancy diamonds...They were nice to me but then I saw this fancy woman I know from BP-she looked like a million $$!she got more smiles from sales people!

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 3:26 pm
I dont care anymore, I am not going to spend my whole life worrying and being depressed over other womens looks. instead, I will enjoy what g-d gave me and just improve it if I dont like something, I know there are women out there who are way more stunning then I am and dress better then I do, but I really dont care, good for them. in the end none of it will matter.

chen

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 3:58 pm
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
I dont care anymore, I am not going to spend my whole life worrying and being depressed over other womens looks. instead, I will enjoy what g-d gave me and just improve it if I dont like something, I know there are women out there who are way more stunning then I am and dress better then I do, but I really dont care, good for them. in the end none of it will matter.

Ah, a woman of sense. Are you over 40 or just amazingly mature for your age?

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 4:43 pm
LIllY u go gal Very Happy

Ruchel

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 12:39 pm
No problem for me… it’s not a contest anyway, I don’t care about being the skinniest (it’s not even pretty to be skinny imho even if it’s trendy, just as it wasn’t pretty to be fat when it was trendy), and the prettiest is in the eye of the beholder.
I love getting all dressed up, but I definitely don’t do it every time I go shopping in fancy shops! I’ve been there countless times in jean skirt and sneakers, why get all dressed up for a sales lady who is superficial enough to care (and silly enough to ignore that people who are really rich don’t feel a need to show it off, and in fact are generally too paranoid to go around all dressed up – in fact many of them look like a total shloch, or at least are very, very discreetly dressed). Very Happy

Raisin

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 3:08 pm
I don't really get dressed up to go shopping (au contraire) and anyway, most women are wearing skintight jeans etc so however nice I dress I will not be competing. I couldn't care less anyway...they are mostly all people I will never meet again in my life.

I will bear that in mind next time I fly though...!

Flowerchild

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:13 pm
tefila and chen thanks, chen im 25years old.

mimivan

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:22 pm
What's the point of dressing up to impress a saleslady if she is just going to encourage me to spend MORE money!!!!
That's why I like to browse and avoid the salesladies!!!

amother

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:44 pm
We also go to short hills, as we live in Bergen County, NJ and the malls here are closed on Sunday. I defintely lower the skinny/gorgeous quotient and for every good looking person there is at least an equal number of average and dumpy. Malls are public and while they have high end stores they also have regular mall stores. I could see avoiding the Chloe boutique on Madison Ave. for that reason, but a mall!?!?!?!?

What a bizarre thing to say... I guess she really does feel bad about herself.

withhumor

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:49 pm
I get a kick out of walking into the designer stores in Manhattan. I love going through the handbags that are $8,000, the shoes for $1399 and so on. I enjoy watching those skinny, not so straight looking sales guys following me around the store ‘yes mam’ ing me, it’s fun!

mannyzmom

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 7:10 pm
I geuss I dont go to fancy enough places to ever feel out of place. I shop in israel where you ll never feel out of place - theyre mostly casual there and when youre shopping you see a mixture of the fancy and casual I geuss so u can fit in no matter what. then I shop in montreal and chicago and I dont feel out of place there either. I also find its not about being fancy but rather how you put yourself together is what makes the difference. you dont have to spend a lot of money to look good - there is so much out there that you can find between 20-30-40$ and you can look great. you just have to match and coordinate your clothes an dif u like jewellery (which you can also find beautiful things in 10-20$ range, not hundreds or thousands!)
you can match your tichel or hat or bandana w/ your fall w/ your clothes...
just bc you dont have a lot of money doesnt mean you have to look like a "shloch".

also, withhumor - I think its a problem halachically to go browse in stores where you know for sure u wont buy anything bc they sell things for 8000!!!I didnt know about this before, my husband told me when we got married - im not trying to be holier than thou by saying this - just wanted to let u know. its bc you re leading on the salesperson that youre going to buy and then youre not buying anything....
I love shopping and I sometimes forget not to bc it is fun to browse!

shanie5

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 8:55 pm
you can browse all u want. just let the salesclerk know that u are "just browsing".

I am comfortable w/ who I am and have no problem shopping or rather browsing wherever and however.

Tefila

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 9:03 pm
Quote:
fact many of them look like a total shloch, or at least are very, very discreetly dressed).

Ruchel another way of looking at things I guess Tongue Out

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 8:34 am
my kids are sometimes embarrassed cause I will wear paint clothes to the store if I'm in middle of doing s/t I don't have time to change back and forth ... even if we are going to dr or whatever ... I really don't care what anyone else thinks ... never did ... never will!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I agree that Lilly is quite mature ... some of us come that way ... she's a natural!!!

withhumor

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 8:58 am
How about the halacha against showing off shoes on display and misleading people to believe they’re selling shoes and when you check the price, you see that you’re buying a rare jewel… gimeeabreak. I’m not misleading anybody with anything, I would never even thuink of asking a sheilah! If they would have something against people stalking their store, they would make it a membership only store. They WANT you to come and look, and feast your eyes. It’s all about brand awareness, not the sale. They make only 2 or 3 sales a day and it’s enough. All the others come in to gorge on the sighs, and they’re perfectly fine with it. May I add, especially if it’s a [gentile] it shouldn’t be a sheilah.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 9:01 am
I would never think of asking a shaila either....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics