Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
For the therapist who knows I don't have money

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 3:27 am
I see a therapist at a clinic. She has been really great and has gone above and beyond what I imagine is normal clinic expectations (went overtime a couple of times when I was having crises that overflowed the 45-minute session, flexible about scheduling, got me some job leads, gave me her personal email address and communicated between sessions about one of those leads - obviously I am very careful not to overdo contact between sessions because I don't want to take advantage or break boundaries. But I appreciate the support!) and has generally been very caring and empathetic, probably every therapist should be to some extent but I know from experience that not all of them are.

So I want to get her something nice.

Default would probably be a nice shalach manos arrangement (she's frum).

However, she knows that I don't have money and would probably feel uncomfortable to receive that. A lot of our therapy has been about my stress over not having enough money (that's only one part of my stress, but it's certainly been a factor, especially since it leads to other stressful things like limited choices of where to live, having to work longer hours in a less enjoyable job than I'd like, etc) and it's a medicaid clinic so she definitely knows what I can afford, and she seems like the kind of caring person that I'm sure she'd rather I spend $50 to get myself a spa massage instead of getting her a fancy overpriced chocolate platter.

But, it's a therapist, not someone I know personally that I could send something handmade, or personally meaningful rather than costly.

Need ideas!!! I really want to show my appreciation with more than just a thank you or a card.

If any of the job leads she finds for me results in a hire, I will definitely send over the chocolate arrangement and we'd both consider it justified by the raise in income. But for now I've had no luck there. I still want to do something more than just wait for my ship to come in...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 3:45 am
Are you sure you want to send an actual gift? Some therapists don't accept gifts as it is 'crossing boundaries'. Unless you are actually stopping going to her. That could be a different matter.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 4:58 am
A gift card to a book store is always welcome. It can be a modest amount, just put it in a card with a hand written thank you note telling her how much you appreciate her.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 7:09 am
I bought a satin sachet for a friend who is a therapist that has embroidery that said something like world's greatest therapist. I don't remember the exact words but she loved it and kept it hooked over her doorknob in her office.

Another time we were out shopping and she bought herself a ceramic statue with a guy pulling out his hair only the hair was paperclips held on by a magnet. The man had the word therapist p painted on him. This was for her desk.

I think anything small like a picture frame or a mug that has the word therapist on it might be nice.

I am also a professional and anything that says the word lawyer on it I love.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
Are you sure you want to send an actual gift? Some therapists don't accept gifts as it is 'crossing boundaries'. Unless you are actually stopping going to her. That could be a different matter.

I don't know... I think it may not be the most appropriate thing in general, but given the context - I'm sure she is underpaid by the clinic and she really does go above and beyond, plus we're both frum ladies, even though we stick to professional boundaries I think we can be just a tad more heimish on something like this.
I also work in a helping profession within the frum community and while technically it is considered out of bounds to accept gifts from clients, on the few occasions that someone proffered a chanukah or purim gift I accepted graciously and really appreciated the gesture. I am also one of those underpaid and underappreciated people who tries to provide a full service anyway, and I don't think these smallish tokens of appreciation are inappropriate (I'm not talking about $100 gifts, I'm talking a $15-ish box of chocolates or a nice-looking but not major shalach manos)

I like the idea of a cute therapist-themed gift. I wonder where I can find something neither expensive nor tacky.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 1:38 pm
My sister is in the field as are several of my women friends. Appreciated small gifts include a nice tea /coffee mug ( no "therapist" references--one with an initial , one with a Gary Larson cartoon, one with a pretty parrot), a 15.00 Barnes and Noble or Borders card, a Starbucks gift card , a pretty candle from Bed , Bath, and Beyond ( under 10.00), a frame ( under 10). The notes included meant even more!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 11:14 pm
So, perhaps a non-therapist-specific desk accessory with a nice note. Since there is nothing special about the timing right now (we will both be away during the summer, but that's a way off) I guess I'll just keep my eye out and when I stumble upon something cute in the $10 range that'll be it. Thanks for the ideas, still listening if anyone has more!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:

I like the idea of a cute therapist-themed gift. I wonder where I can find something neither expensive nor tacky.

I got the therapist sachet at Dainty Linens in Monsey.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 3:50 pm
Don't discount a meaningful note or poem. Most people are very underappreciated in their jobs and really love that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics