Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Looking for cake recipe: Whole wheat flour, no cocoa

with a smile :)

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 8:16 am
Birthday boy has requested a cake, not cookies or other, for this Shabbos. He can't have food coloring or cocoa/chocolate. His sister can't have white flour. His mommy prefers not too complicated recipies (but is willing to compromise on that), and also with basic ingredients, as we live in E"Y and can't necessarily get fancy stuff easily.

I do have plenty of oat flour and rice flour in the freezer from our gluten-free stint, if someone wants to throw a yummy recipe that includes those my way.

Any suggestions?

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 8:44 am
Can you get hold of ground almonds? Is a clementine cake too sophisticated? It has no flour at all.

My grandma swears by this recipe - I've never tried it but I've heard it's really good.

Clementine Cake (Nigella Lawson - How to Eat)
http://www.nigella.com/recipes.....-2559

Ingredients

375 grams clementines (approx. 3 medium-sized ones)
6 large eggs
225 grams white sugar
250 grams ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder

Put the clementines in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips. Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz in a food processor (or by hand, of course). Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC/375ºF. Butter and line a 21cm / 8 inch Springform tin.

You can then add all the other ingredients to the food processor and mix. Or, you can beat the eggs by hand adding the sugar, almonds and baking powder, mixing well, then finally adding the pulped oranges.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil or greaseproof after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the tin. When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it at any time.

I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges, and with lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to 250g / 2¼ cups and slightly anglicise it, too, by adding a glaze made of icing sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.

Additional information - for gluten free make sure that the baking powder is gluten free.

sped

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 9:05 am
I make a regular pound cake with ww flour and it comes out delicious. It's easy to make them.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 10:59 am
I second the clementine cake recipe-- I've made it a few times and it comes out nicely. It is very orangey, though, so if your kids don't like citrus, it might not be a hit.

with a smile :)

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:06 am
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The clementine cake sounds great, but deff too sophisticated for my kids. I'll keep that recipe in mind for Pesach, though.

In the end I made the following cake, just with whole wheat flour (and in my opinion it came out much better than with white flour!)

Applesauce cake

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Mix well and pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 2:18 pm
I make my easy banana cake recipe with ww flour or spelt flour - still moist and delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics