Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Education for a future same in usa and israel?

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 8:11 pm
We plan on sending our dd to the states for h.s. and only the last two years anyway. When I told my sil who lives in Israel that we plan on sending her there, she seemed insulted that we're not sending her to Israel to stay with her. We feel that there's more of a future if you're educated in the states then here in Argentina or even Israel. Do you agree? Is going to school in the US the same as going to school in Israel for a future? We'd like her to go to college as well.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 9:13 pm
I think both would be good for the future, however,high school in Israel is harder than in the US, so it depends on what the focus is.
There are also great universities in both countries, so it really depends on what your ultimate goal for her is.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 9:49 pm
Is she fluent in both English and Hebrew?

What kind of a school do you want to send her to? Modern Orthodox? Beis Yaakov? Something else?

Which school specifically and what are the academics like there?

And where would you want her to, or where would she want, to go to college? What kind of program would you/she expect her to attend?

What does she want?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 2:33 am
yo'ma wrote:
We plan on sending our dd to the states for h.s. and only the last two years anyway. When I told my sil who lives in Israel that we plan on sending her there, she seemed insulted that we're not sending her to Israel to stay with her. We feel that there's more of a future if you're educated in the states then here in Argentina or even Israel. Do you agree? Is going to school in the US the same as going to school in Israel for a future? We'd like her to go to college as well.
Why do you feel that way?

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 3:17 am
If she's not fluent in Hebrew, there's no point in sending her here. She won't be able to learn at the level required for a good high school diploma.
At the very least, you will have to factor in an extra yr for her to catch up language wise.
Is her English fluent?

Sanguine

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 5:33 am
What grade is she going into? (you said something about the last two years). One advantage in Israel is there are dorm High schools. - More for boys, but there are for girls too. They give a lot of Hakalot for Bogruts. She would be able to take them in English. BUT - will she learn? How is her Hebrew? Will she make friends?
I don't really see the full picture - Do you have family in the States? Where?

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 8:48 am
[quote="Tablepoetry"]If she's not fluent in Hebrew, there's no point in sending her here. She won't be able to learn at the level required for a good high school diploma.
At the very least, you will have to factor in an extra yr for her to catch up language wise.
Is her English fluent?[/quote ]There is a program for girls fron English speaking countries in an ulpana (dl girls HS) I think it might be in amana. Through נעל"ה.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 12:26 pm
I wasn't asking for my dd, just general. My dd is not fluent in hebrew and it would be for 11th and 12th grades. I asked a friend this same question and she said for hs it would be the same (in a college oriented hs), but for college it's better in the states. She said this not because the ones in Israel are worse, but a college diploma is more recognized worldwide than an Israeli one. My question is, do you agree?

shoshana11

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 3:43 am
I don't think it's a great idea to send a teenager away for 11th-12th grade anywhere. In US she'll be expected to take SAT's in early 11th grade, kids prepare for it for a year before... in Israel there will be a language barrier (I am assuming she speaks fluent English?). If she wants to go to college or masters/graduate school in the states, I would recommend masters/graduate school, since the college education is nothing special in the states and you'll end up paying/owing a TON of money. The graduate school in the states is worth it, IMO..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics