Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Any ideas for a cool fun theme for Sheva Brochos please?!
1  2  3  Next

ImaMum

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 3:17 am
Hi All
Newbie here Very Happy

I've had a look through past posts and not found anything that 'stood out' for me.

We are making sheva brochos for my sister and her chosson (making it together with my unmarried siblings) and I know they are expecting us to come up with something fun!

Has anyone been to, or made any fun sheva brochos?!

It doesnt have to necessarily be relevant to the couple. (They are age 24/25)

(I know some people say you can just make it elegant and dont need a theme, but I know that this is what they would love Smile )

We have the following ideas so far, but none really stand out:

Israeli
Hawaiian
Black and White
BBQ
Safari/Zoo
Birthday Party (Its my birthday hehe)
Moroccan
Smiley
Jelly Belly (colourful)

It would be for approx 50 people (mostly family and friends that wont make it to wedding) and in our home.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for your time!

imaima

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 3:38 am
I have always dreamt of doing Paris theme, with Eiffel tower decorations, French wines and cuisine, quiet French music ( e.g. from Amelie).

amother

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 4:59 am
I was at a really fun Indian themed sheva brachot.

The host's housekeeper is an Indian girl who loves to cook, so she made a whole bunch of authentic Indian dishes which were set up on bain - maries buffet style. Th menu included dahl, beef, chicken and lamb stews, eggplant and chickpeas dishes, chutnies, Indian flatbreads, rice, and desserts. There were also a few more conventional deserts as well as authentic Indian ones. Everything was spicy and authentic so there also a few blander options like grilled chicken skewers for the less adventerous.

Seating was very informal, mainly on the floor on cushions etc. The crowd was very young so not so suitable if some of the guests are older. The place was decorated Indian style, with lanterns , umbrellas and wall hangings. The hostess had a friend who is a party planner so she was able to borrow all these things for free.

They bought special disposable dishes from a specialty Indian store, These are basically sectional plates so that the guests couls try a bit of everything.

There Bollywood music playing in the background as well as saris and traditioanls Indian garb for whoever wanted to dress up.

All in all it was really fun night and the hosts got lots of positive feedback.

Anon because I am related to the hosts.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 7:33 am
We had one close to Purim so theme was masks.. We also had to come with a Purim hat every couple got a pic at end of nite with their hats.. Was really fun and cute.. For entertainment we had magician

ImaMum

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 11:19 am
Hi
Good Voch!
Wow thanks for your replies Very Happy

We are English so not sure the Paris theme would go down too well - We hate the French! Haha just kidding!

Indian theme sounds cool but not sure Id be able to cook indian food! embarrassed

Purim one also sounds good - their wedding is on Rosh Chodesh Adar Shaini, so that actually might work!

Will speak with my bros and sisters and see what they think!

Thanks so much and if anyone else has any other fun ideas feel free to share LOL

ilovesem

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 1:24 pm
Maybe a fancy dress or masquerade.

bamba

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 5:36 pm
I once went to a purim seuda and everything was disney themed... even the food...
U cud do takeout style... fish and chips in cones or even burgers... easy to do and not too expensive...
U cud do everything english style... also with fish and chips..tea..shud b easy enuough to get all the stuff for it!!!
Good luck... :-)

mom in france

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:13 pm
We are English so not sure the Paris theme would go down too well - We hate the French! Haha just kidding![/quote]

Not sure the English theme would go down too well- We hate the English! Haha just kidding

Immature or what. Ftr im not french.

Last edited by mom in france on Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

EsaEinai

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:16 pm
I went to a country western sheva brachos. Red and white checkered tablecloths, hot dogs and hamburgers, corn on the cob, watermelon. Western cowboy hats.

cs1

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 8:24 pm
Why dont you get an oriental trading catalog? Or check out any party website.
They have tons of themes with lots of nick nacks that match.

5mom

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 10:12 pm
Umm..bayis neeman be-yisrael?
I've never heard of having a theme for sheva brachos. It seems like gilding the lily.
Do the divrei torah also have to correspond to the theme, or just the food and the decor?

Dolly1

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 11:53 pm
Chinese theme. there is so much to do...

wispalover

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 1:47 am
Buy a big murder mystery game box.. do murder mystery theme!

ImaMum

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:04 am
ilovesem wrote:
Maybe a fancy dress or masquerade.

Ooo thanks good idea, though not sure I could convince all guests to come dressed up but maybe could get some masks or something for nameplaces?!

ImaMum

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:08 am
bamba wrote:
I once went to a purim seuda and everything was disney themed... even the food...
U cud do takeout style... fish and chips in cones or even burgers... easy to do and not too expensive...
U cud do everything english style... also with fish and chips..tea..shud b easy enuough to get all the stuff for it!!!
Good luck... :-)

Wow that sounds fun - we all love disney Compress

How did do you make disney theme food tho? Or do you mean like the take out boxes/paperware was disney?

Thanks Bamba Smile

ImaMum

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:09 am
mom in france wrote:
We are English so not sure the Paris theme would go down too well - We hate the French! Haha just kidding!

Not sure the English theme would go down too well- We hate the English! Haha just kidding

Immature or what. Ftr im not french.

Umm. Ok. Thanks for that!

ImaMum

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:19 am
Thanks for your ideas EsaEinai, cs1 and Dolly1! Very Happy

5mom: I dont think theres anything wrong in being mesamech chosson vkalloh, and no, the divrei torah dont have to correspond to the theme! Wink

ImaMum

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:20 am
wispalover wrote:
Buy a big murder mystery game box.. do murder mystery theme!

Oo thanks, I'll google this! Smile

mom in france

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 4:24 am
ImaMum wrote:
Umm. Ok. Thanks for that!

We are supposed to be respectful to each other on this site. You probably thought that there are only people from boro park or golders green on this site, but guess what? We are a very diverse crowd on here. I suppose you would be shocked if I said I hated chassidishes or MO pple or people from Brazil. Is it too hard to apologise??

bamba

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 4:28 am
Cant remember the exact menu but we took different things from different films...for example we had ratatouille...u can do for main course chicken, calling it chicken little...mickey mouse cookies..cinderellas pumpkin soup...Bambi...u can decorate the room as alice in wonderland...mad hatters tea party...or for something easier just disney bunting. Once u get thinking of all the disney films there is loads to do...good luck :-)

Last edited by bamba on Sun, Feb 02 2014, 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics