Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Out of control eating on shabbos

momesq

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 11:59 pm
No matter how careful I am about my eating during the week and if I manage to miraculously lose a pound during the week I always wreck it on shabbos. I need advise on how to stay in control on shabbos during the meals and shabbos afternoon. what do you do to distract yourself or what do you tell yourself to stay on track on shabbos?

mandksima

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 3:54 am
I eat the same food on Shabbos too. I make things that I enjoy and are special but I don't go off from the list of foods I eat. When I have a yummy dessert for me, I don't feel the urge to look at regular desserts. It is easiest for me when I am black and white with eating habits - for example, no flour, no sugar is easier for me than saying I'm only going to eat one little piece of something not diet at all. I find it easier knowing I have something special for me. Cooked veggies and salads I let myself eat as much as I want so I don't feel restricted.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 10:26 am
Skip the challah- use whole wheat/bran/whole spelt matzah. Or use whole wheat challah.
Skip the potato kugel.
Skin the chicken in the soup, so it's less fatty, and put in a lot of veggies so it fills you up.
Use salmon instead of gefilte fish (no sugary sauces!)
For the main dish, make white chicken/lean meat without sugary sauces. (Or use splenda instead)
For sides, make grilled/roasted veggies, salads (no sugar), (a chicken/meat salad might fill you up as both a main and a side), roasted potatoes with skin on for extra fiber...
For dessert, eat cut up fruit.

Drink only water- or flavored sparkling water with no sugar added (I love pellegrino grapefruit flavored sparkling water).

Good luck!!!!

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 10:28 am
For snacks on Shabbos afternoon (that always gets me, too!), try to avoid having junk, cake and cookies in your house.
Have nuts (almonds, walnuts are great choices), popcorn, cut up fruit, I love frozen grapes in the summer, and I putting orange wedges in the freezer for about 30 min and then eating!

Also, you can slice bananas, drizzle with a little chocolate, and freeze. Yum!

momesq

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 10:00 pm
Thanks all. It's just once I take one bite of challah it's like I just lose control and need more plus all the other foods. Ill try again this week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note