Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Encopresis
1  2  Next

cla

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:02 pm
Dealing with this with my son now and it's a nightmare....does anyone have any personal experience or advice? Also any referrals to a pediatric gastroenterologist in the NY area.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:13 pm
oh it's a nightmare. tell me about it! 8 months later and I'm at my wits end! best advice is to give them stool softener and make sure they clean out very well and that they always make bowel movements daily so that they stay clean. and then nothing to leak. but tell me if you figure out a way to get your DS to have those bowel movements Rolling Eyes

cla

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 4:51 pm
Today he's home due to snow so trying to tackle the clean-out phase. 3!!!! Adult suppositories this morning, and a few cups of prune juice throughout the day. Its working...slowly (of course mainly in accidents although I keep sending him to sit). How do I know when he's cleaned out though? Obviously I can't have him xray-ed every day. So when do I know he's emptied? I don't want to overdue the laxatives.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 5:06 pm
give him a normal amount that should clean him out. there is no way to tell if he's cleaned out. usually after I give a good amount of stool softener my DS stays clean for one day. but then he doesn't have a bowel movement for a couple days and the cycle starts again. But we have issues with constipation as well so if you don't it should work out better. and let's remember this too shall pass... eventhough I wish I was that optimistic

Della

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 5:22 pm
Dr Audrey Birnbaum of the Mt Kisco Medical Group (if you're in NY) was the only doctor to help my son. And it took years until we found her unfortunately.

Dulcolax pills daily also helped. But that was after cleaning him out twice with the gallon drink called Go Lightly.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 5:27 pm
FYI, Binah had a letter/article about this a while back and a group of mothers formed a group I believe. I know we get calls from time to time for the email address of the group. If you call the office 718-305-5200 you can get the info. You might get more info there.

cla

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 5:34 pm
Monsey Mom - thanks for the referral. Any idea if she takes Fidelis?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 8:07 pm
Yes, it is an absolute nightmare. I am living it now.

To answer your question though, you know that the cleanout is complete when the poop is tea colored. I don't think that will happen with prune juice because of the color of prune juice, but it will happen if you are doing Mirilax and enemas.

Has your doctor told you how to do a cleanout? The cleanout that my son's doctor recommended was a combination of huge amounts of Mirilax and enemas.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 8:09 pm
MonseyMom, what did Dr. Birnbaum do that was different than other doctors? I am not in the NY area but if it was something that could be discussed remotely, or in 1 or 2 visits, I would consider it. TIA!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 8:13 pm
OP, you need to PM TwinsMommy. Unfortunately, she's quite the expert in this field. She's a wonderful lady, with tons of helpful advice.

cla

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 8:37 pm
These are some other ideas, besides laxatives, that I found online, I plan on trying them all this week. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these:
Chiropractic, going off dairy, probiotics, abdominal massage.
Thanks

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 8:39 pm
Going off dairy and taking probiotics have helped one of my children with constipation.

Della

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:05 pm
The first thing she did was to clean him out. Completely. I hope this isn't too much info (skip this if you want), but pieces get trapped and harden in the natural twists and turns of the bowels. This continues the incapability to fully empty the bowels, and leads to build up again. We had to do. X rays after. This was done twice. The result of the encepresis was that his bowels were distended and he therefore needed a lot of follow up to keep him regular. He had lost sensation in the nerve endings and couldn't feel the natural urge to have a bowel movement. It was horrible.

The other doctors we saw (head of the pediatric gastroenterology dept on NYC hospital) only have him fiber supplements and never cleaned him out. That was the difference.

cla

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:07 pm
How did she recommend to clean him out?

Della

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:10 pm
cla wrote:
How did she recommend to clean him out?

A product called GoLightly. It's a gallon jug. People use it before a colonoscopy. You need a prescription. Then enemas and the dulcolax.

You probably don't want to hear this, but she said if nothing else works, by puberty the body regulates and heals heals itself. And it did.

cla

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:15 pm
Sounds interesting. I'm going to call her office tomorrow and try to get an appointment. Thanks! My pediatrician seems clueless so I'm on my own here so far.

What scares me so much is I'm reading online how parents of teenagers are struggling with this too. I couldn't sleep after reading that.

Della

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:31 pm
cla wrote:
Sounds interesting. I'm going to call her office tomorrow and try to get an appointment. Thanks! My pediatrician seems clueless so I'm on my own here so far.

What scares me so much is I'm reading online how parents of teenagers are struggling with this too. I couldn't sleep after reading that.

I really wish you hatzlocha. If for some reason you cannot see her let me know. There are doctors to avoid:(

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 9:43 pm
Dr Benkov at my Sinai really helped us for chronic constipation.

We did a clean out which was no food for a day and during that day dd had an entire bottle of miralax (don't remember size). After an entire day of her pooping she started crying and had a massive one which I think was the end of the clean out (sorry for tmi, but with this subject it's all tmi!).

Then we had dd on daily half a cap of miralax and two droppers of little tummies laxative. Over several months weaned her off the little tummies and just on miralax. If she ever did not poop for more than one or two days we gave a suppository right away.

After a year we weaned her off the miralax. Still stay on top of her to go every single night. Very occasionally she skips one but if she skips more than one we dose her with miralax ASAP.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:26 pm
Monsey Mom, the idea that it straightens itself out at puberty is a big comfort to me right now. I feel like I've been battling encopresis for so long and it's really difficult to deal with!

My son was hospitalized for 3 days getting cleaned out. They used large quantities of GoLightly because he was so constipated. Now he takes 2 caps of Mirilax and 2 caps of Milk of Magnesia every day. And he is still having accidents.

Does anyone have any tips for how to stop accidents at school?

Della

Post Mon, Feb 03 2014, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
Monsey Mom, the idea that it straightens itself out at puberty is a big comfort to me right now. I feel like I've been battling encopresis for so long and it's really difficult to deal with!

My son was hospitalized for 3 days getting cleaned out. They used large quantities of GoLightly because he was so constipated. Now he takes 2 caps of Mirilax and 2 caps of Milk of Magnesia every day. And he is still having accidents.

Does anyone have any tips for how to stop accidents at school?

We were told to try to get him into a schedule where he sits on the toilet before school each morning. Didn't always work, however. It was embarrassing for him but BH no one ever made fun of him. If he needed to, he called me and I came right over with fresh clothing.

Writing this makes me appreciate that we are BH past this now. What a nightmare. He finally finished this whole business before bar mitzvah. Now it's a distant memory.

Once he's cleaned out it may take a while until the nerve endings are sensitized again. Hence the accidents. Keep going for checkups to monitor him too. Hatzlocha!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics