Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Made stupid mistake on ebay
1  2  Next

cool_mama

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:49 pm
I bid for two phones on ebay and didnt think I would be the highest bidder on both. now im stuck with two phones but really only need one.

can I back out of one of them? what else can I do?

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:50 pm
It is hard to back out.

Can you list and sell the one you don't want?

imamazing

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 8:52 pm
I once did that with two identical dresses. I emailed one of them and explained the circumstance. Wrote to him that I understand that in no way does he have an obligation to exempt me from this, but I would greatly appreciate if he could. He did! And so nicely too.

Another option would be to just resell it once you receive it, either via ebay or locally by advertising or word of mouth.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 9:09 pm
Just keep in mind that if you are the winning bidder, and you back out, the seller will lose money on the deal. When I used to sell on ebay, I lost a lot of money due to people pulling out on a deal. Sometimes $35 per auction.

imamazing

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 9:46 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Just keep in mind that if you are the winning bidder, and you back out, the seller will lose money on the deal. When I used to sell on ebay, I lost a lot of money due to people pulling out on a deal. Sometimes $35 per auction.

Wow! I didn't realize that. Now I feel guilty for having done that... Thanks for that info...

goforit

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 9:59 pm
imamazing wrote:
Wow! I didn't realize that. Now I feel guilty for having done that... Thanks for that info...

Sorry that's not the case. If both parties agree to cancel the seller does not loose money.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:05 pm
goforit wrote:
Sorry that's not the case. If both parties agree to cancel the seller does not loose money.

That's only true if the auction is still going on, but once the auction ends, there's no going back.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 04 2014, 10:16 pm
A bid is a legal contract. If you can't work things out with the seller, you'll have to relist it yourself.

goforit

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:19 am
MrsDash wrote:
That's only true if the auction is still going on, but once the auction ends, there's no going back.

She can still ask the seller if he wants to cancel it and he wont be charged. Happened to me 2x and the sellers where very nice about it.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:26 am
I think you used to be able to contact the seller and say you don't want it, the seller can then offer it directly to the next highest bidder. I habe been offered things on that basis before. It didn't used to cost the seller anything extra, but the rules may be different worldwide or changed, I haven't used ebay for about 5 years.

goforit

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 6:30 am
Frumdoc wrote:
I think you used to be able to contact the seller and say you don't want it, the seller can then offer it directly to the next highest bidder. I habe been offered things on that b asis before. It didn't used to cost the seller anything extra, but the rules may be different worldwide or changed, I haven't used ebay for about 5 years.

I had this a few weeks ago in the USA. It was a buyitnow so no other buyer. He told us he is not loosing money. If it makes any diffrence the seller was from Israel.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 7:43 am
goforit wrote:
She can still ask the seller if he wants to cancel it and he wont be charged. Happened to me 2x and the sellers where very nice about it.

I've been out of the ebay world for a couple of years, so I guess it must have changed, which is a good thing.

Last edited by MrsDash on Wed, Feb 05 2014, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 7:43 am
MrsDash wrote:

Pretty sure that's not true anymore. I just sold something on ebay. Ebay itself doesn't charge any fees; the only fees that get charged are through paypal. So if the buyer didn't pay yet, the seller wouldn't get charged.

happyone

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 8:56 am
Of course there are fees. The only waived ebay fees are listing fees. Final value will be on your account. Check your ebay acct.

4Sisters

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 9:14 am
If the seller lets you out of buying it, make sure to leave A+++ feedback!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 9:40 am
I sell on ebay. I have cancelled sales at the request of the buyer and I have non-paying buyers/bidders.

I am NOT charged in those instances in the final value fee since I "opened a case". I may have lost 3 cents on a paypal fee (I don't think I was credited it back all the way -- but the buyer might have paid already in that instance, I don't remember) but it was worth it for my customer service ratings.

However, as a seller, especially with auctions, I find it extremely aggravating if someone opts out because I may have gotten more bids had others not noticed there was a bid happening. I had one winner that never paid, but looking at her feedback, it looks like she also suddenly stopped shipping products people bought from her the same week -- it really makes me nervous something happened to her, and I get that it could have as there was no communication. However, I had another auction winner who didn't pay, didn't communicate, did win and pay for auctions in the meantime, but there were other comments on her feedback listing it as positive (!!!) saying she didn't pay -- probably because the seller was afraid of repercussions in his feedback. I reported the user; I have no idea if she is still allowed on eBay or not.

So be careful not to cancel too many auctions. Once -- a true mistake -- it hurts the seller only in the loss of the win of that auction but not money out of his pocket -- and this is understandable. But make it a habit? eBay won't want you.

ewa-jo

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 9:56 am
happyone wrote:
Of course there are fees. The only waived ebay fees are listing fees. Final value will be on your account. Check your ebay acct.

umm... no. Not true.

The seller can file to cancel the transaction and then Ebay will refund the final value fees back to the seller... of course, the buyer and the seller both have to agree to cancel the transaction.

This is an easy process if both people are chilled out about it.

OP- the seller will not lose money if you cancel the transaction.

leah383

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 10:28 am
Hashem Yaazor -

The reason the sellers left *positive feedback* saying the buyer didn't pay is because since 2008, sellers aren't allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 05 2014, 2:18 pm
Fascinating...well, that would explain it. :/

Hakol Letovah

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:02 pm
You may contact seller, ask nicely if he would be willing to cancel.

Seller will not lose money. I know how it works. if its mutually agreeable, no $ involved or lost.

Seller will get system to offer it to the next highest.

Some sellers are nice and will work with you.

They have no obligation, but if you ask in a nice way, you may be granted.
Please let us know what happens!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains