Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Request Compensation or Not?

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 9:46 pm
I KNOW I SHOULD ASK MY RAV but I'm curious to hear what the general non halachic opinion is about this.

I work at home (so to speak. I actually have a desk in a family member's office so I'm not home per se but I don't go in to my old workplace.) I designate my time to work and have a sitter come for those designated hours.

I get paid by the hour and so does the sitter (paid by my employer bh).

So lets say I'm having computer issues or printer issues etc. I can't do my work. Can I request compensation for those hours that I was idling away and/or trying to fix the issues?

And what about for my babysitter? She wouldn't appreciate being sent away mid day.

What I've done in the past was pay for the sitter out of pocket and not charge my employer for the downtime. I lost money. Not only didn't I earn but I had to pay the babysitter from my own pocket.

What's your opinion on this? Anyone else was ever in such a situation?

(edited to correct employee/r typo)

Last edited by ShirleyTemple on Thu, Feb 06 2014, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 9:48 pm
fixing equipment is part of the work, as far as I'm concerned. unless you have a contracted number of hours for the completion of the project, I assume that those hours are considered working hours.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 9:48 pm
Who does the computer/printer belong to? You? Or your boss?

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 9:53 pm
Computer and equipment belong to family member whose office I'm at.

I don't have specific hours as per my boss. I made my own hours and stick to it.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 9:57 pm
that's the case with a lot of jobs. but if you generally work from 11:00 to 3:00 on a daily basis, I'd charge for those hours. if you are spending that time in your "office" tinkering with the printer in order to print something having to do with a particular project, I don't see why you shouldn't be paid.

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 10:12 pm
Because technically it's not my employer's problem. Had I been working in his workplace and same situation arose, then yes, it's his computer, his problem. Makes sense?

busydev

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 10:55 pm
I see why you would think that way, but as long as you are doing it for work then I dont think its a problem. would you be tinkering with the computer or printer if you didnt have to work? if not then its def work related and I would say its expected to charge.

theotherone

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 10:58 pm
I would say that bec. The equipment doesn't belong to him, its not his problem and he doesn't have to compensate you. If it was his equipment, then yes, I would charge for the time it took to get it fixed. Your responsibility as his employee is to have functioning tools to do your work. Its not his financial headache if you don't. (Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear :-(

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:01 pm
I gather that the general consensus is that the money is due to me.

I will ask a Rav and come back to let you know his psak.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:02 pm
theotherone wrote:
I would say that bec. The equipment doesn't belong to him, its not his problem and he doesn't have to compensate you. If it was his equipment, then yes, I would charge for the time it took to get it fixed. Your responsibility as his employee is to have functioning tools to do your work. Its not his financial headache if you don't. (Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear :-(

What she said.

ShirleyTemple

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:08 pm
theotherone wrote:

That's ok. I'm pretty sure halacha rules like you. My husband already asked someone in the past and that's what he ruled but I'm afraid he didn't get all the details right so I'm gonna ask again.

BrachaC

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 2:46 pm
Do you consider yourself an employee? or are you a consultant? If you are an employee then it sounds like technical issues that you spend time solving would be on the employer. If you were a consultant then the assumption would be that it is your problem.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 3:07 pm
I work from home. I own my desk but my employer owns the computer and printer. If there are any issues, of course it is considered work time AND she pays to fix it! What if the computer I work on at home is slower than the computer I COULD be working on at the office-should she pay me less money, for less time?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers