Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Please explain: Satmar, "new illness", makeup
1  2  3  4  5  Next

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:02 am
I saw this article and was baffled: Satmar Observes Fast After Sefer Torah Falls

Quote:
In a pained crying voice the rebbe addressed recent events, the tragedies that have befallen the tzibur, telling how doctors consulted with him a year ago to tell him of a new illness that is appearing in women. The doctors wanted to request the women come in to be checked for fear they do not do so at home. The rebbe explained the doctors came back to him in recent weeks to explain the problem is not the fact that few have been checked, but the reality that women are being inflicted with terrible illness.

Quote:
“We have found in recent years this breach to wear makeup in a forbidden manner is by those profiting from it, even convincing young girls to start wearing makeup in a fashion that is prohibited by all. Therefore it has been decided that a special vaad has been created to address this. Each family has an obligation to undo that which is forbidden according to Halacha, especially of late when it has led to terrible Chilul Shabbos and prohibitions of kores. In addition, there will be gatherings in the coming weeks for women of the community around the world to teach them the applicable Halachos”.

What in the world? What new illness? What makeup? Please explain this one to me because the cryptic article left me no where near enlightened.

monseychick

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:09 am
It Satmar.... Nuff said

[edited]

harriet

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:09 am
Obviously the wearing of makeup is causing the new illness (according to the Rebbe). Less obvious is what the new illness is-I would say breast (or ovarian) cancer because of his reluctance to spell it out and because maybe he was trying to say the drs are concerned the women are not doing breast exams at home? But breast cancer is certainly not a new illness so I don't know.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:11 am
My guess is breast cancer, and the Rebbe is trying to make sure women get checked in a socially acceptable and tznius way.

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:13 am
Neither one of those cancers is "new".

Last edited by chavamom on Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:15 am
LOL at the attempt to ask questions of Satmar.

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:16 am
But seriously, shouldn't it make some sense to the people listening? They are going to go to their doctors and say "please check me out for the new illness"?

I was wondering if the make-up thing was shabbos make-up, but being chayav kores?

harriet

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:17 am
chavamom wrote:

True, and I pointed that out in my post, but maybe they are new to him? Unlikely but maybe he's reallllllly sheltered? No clue!

Anyone from Satmar that can explain what the new illness is?

Maya

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:18 am
Speculation on the Internet is that he means STDs.

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:21 am
Maya wrote:

That was where my mind went immediately. But that is a hazard of my occupation (for clarity, I work obstetrics in a hospital with an inner-city population and yes, STD's are very, very common).

harriet

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:23 am
Maya wrote:

Wow. But they are not new either. Also, can you check for them at home?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:25 am
A relative of mine in the medical field once expressed frustration to me that she has patients who refuse to have breast exams during well visits. By and large, they are from the Chassidish community. They seem to be uncomfortable with the idea, and it's a shame because early detection is so crucial.

She also does breast exams on teens BTW....she found a lump on one teen at age 17, and she feels the hundreds of exams she does is worth the one early detection, the life of that one teenager.

Without commenting on the makeup bit....if the Rebbe is encouraging the women to do self exams, and to also follow up with their physicians, then he is to be commended for that.

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:31 am
harriet wrote:
Wow. But they are not new either. Also, can you check for them at home?

I suppose you could check for HSV, but only if you had a lesion. You can't really check for breast cancer at home either. And it's really not new. The whole article is very confusing.

PS - to the poster with a relative who is a medical professional: official guidelines are that breast exams should start at age 20.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:33 am
you can buy home tests for HIV

yet once again, by wearing makeup, women are causing themselves to die. we're not tznuis enough, or else we'd be healthy.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:39 am
If the disease is truly STDs, there might be a bit more reason to look at the men....

harriet

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:41 am
Chayalle wrote:
A relative of mine in the medical field once expressed frustration to me that she has patients who refuse to have breast exams during well visits. By and large, they are from the Chassidish community. They seem to be uncomfortable with the idea, and it's a shame because early detection is so crucial.

She also does breast exams on teens BTW....she found a lump on one teen at age 17, and she feels the hundreds of exams she does is worth the one early detection, the life of that one teenager.

Without commenting on the makeup bit....if the Rebbe is encouraging the women to do self exams, and to also follow up with their physicians, then he is to be commended for that.

Chayalle, read the article, there does not appear to be any encouragement by the Rebbe to do self exams and/or follow up with their physicians (unless he did and that was just not mentioned in the article). Just the fear mongering and instructions to be not wear makeup etc.

penguin

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:41 am
I was wondering if it has anything to do with the recent spate (well, at least two) in the frum mags about elective mastectomies due to finding the BRCA gene.

I corresponded with Ami, perhaps medical professionals here can weigh in. I am very curious if any of the studies which show the high rates of cancer looked at the participants' use of hormones (whether to prevent or encourage pregnancy) which are so common these days.

I know there is at least one study that shows a correlation between use of Clomid & higher rates of cancer.

So, if we factor out anyone who took hormones, what rate of cancer would we see for BRCA?

(I know they discourage women who are carriers from using hormonal BC. So evidently they realize there can be some connection.)

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:44 am
penguin wrote:
I was wondering if it has anything to do with the recent spate (well, at least two) in the frum mags about elective mastectomies due to finding the BRCA gene.

I corresponded with Ami, perhaps medical professionals here can weigh in. I am very curious if any of the studies which show the high rates of cancer looked at the participants' use of hormones (whether to prevent or encourage pregnancy) which are so common these days.

I know there is at least one study that shows a correlation between use of Clomid & higher rates of cancer.

So, if we factor out anyone who took hormones, what rate of cancer would we see for BRCA?

(I know they discourage women who are carriers from using hormonal BC. So evidently they realize there can be some connection.)

you really think this is actually about something real?

Barbara

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:49 am
chavamom wrote:

Then again, the article said:

Quote:
The Satmar Rov made the announcement in the name of his father, the rebbe, beginning by addressing a new item that is making its way into homes, one that permits children to view movies. The rov called upon parents not to give this to children, adding in the new future this would be addressed in the form of new takonos.

What "new item"? Televisions? Computers? iPads? None of these are new.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 11:56 am
roku? apple tv?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics