Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Please explain: Satmar, "new illness", makeup
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

bamamama

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:22 am
If the Satmar Rebbe has simething so important to tell his chassidim, why is he speaking in riddles? This is ridiculous.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:24 am
ora_43 wrote:
I'm amazed at how much discussion this has inspired, since it was basically word soup to me.

True. I felt like I was reading Satmar Mad-Libs.

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:26 am
bamamama wrote:
If the Satmar Rebbe has simething so important to tell his chassidim, why is he speaking in riddles? This is ridiculous.

To inspire awe and trepidation.

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:26 am
DrMom wrote:
True. I felt like I was reading Satmar Mad-Libs.

Well that's a thread we need on imamother.

bamamama

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:29 am
sequoia wrote:
So are you trembling? Are you in awe? I'm shaking. But that's because it's cold...

Barbara

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:32 am
sequoia wrote:

Aspiring to be compared to the Oracle at Delphi.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:43 am
bamamama wrote:

Don't you think he would sound even more ridiculous if he actually spelled it out?

bamamama

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:46 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Don't you think he would sound even more ridiculous if he actually spelled it out?
since I haven't the faintest what he's on about, I don't know that it would be worse. There is always that possibility, though...

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:47 am
bamamama wrote:
since I haven't the faintest what he's on about, I don't know that it would be worse. There is always that possibility, though...

Lol. Put it this way, pretty much all of the suggestions on this thread have been so outlandish that spelling any of them out would be simply ridiculous.

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:54 am
Then why is he saying anything at all?

bamamama

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 1:00 am
Control.

ora_43

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 2:33 am
bamamama wrote:

I think it's possible he was speaking completely clearly. In Yiddish. To an audience that understands what terms like "new illness" mean.

And then someone took select parts of the speech, half-translated them to English, didn't bother to clarify any of the inside Satmar terminology, and the result was this article.

(to be fair to the author/translator, it may not be worthwhile to fully translate Satmar Yiddish to non-Satmar English; I'm guessing most people fit pretty neatly into one of the two categories "Satmar, don't need a translation" or "don't get it, don't care.")

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 9:05 am
sequoia wrote:
Well that's a thread we need on imamother.

Only if it's on safe haven Tongue Out
I'm not watching this thread anymore. Nothing productive in it for me.

mammala120

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 10:29 am
ok the rabbonim associate wearing tooo much makeup or dressing abit inappropriate according to standards is causing illness. MAYBE,

but in relation to wearing makeup the reason there is now this new illness seen in group of woman is because make-up is LOADED with lots LOTS lots of CHEMICALS that cause these illnesses. Go Google and research a little. all these chemicals accumulate in your fat tissues and overtime burden the body's proper function and attack DNA .......................

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 10:30 am
I believe the speech in Yiddish was no less ambiguous.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 10:36 am
Are you referring to pthalates? If so they are found in many sources (food and beverage packaging, inks and dyes, detergents, toys, waxes, paints, medications), not only cosmetics. If not, to what are you referring?

Cookie Monster

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 10:39 am
mammala120 wrote:
ok the rabbonim associate wearing tooo much makeup or dressing abit inappropriate according to standards is causing illness. MAYBE,

but in relation to wearing makeup the reason there is now this new illness seen in group of woman is because make-up is LOADED with lots LOTS lots of CHEMICALS that cause these illnesses. Go Google and research a little. all these chemicals accumulate in your fat tissues and overtime burden the body's proper function and attack DNA .......................

Oh c'mon. If thats what the rebbe said, he did not mean that illness is caused by the chemicals in the makeup. He would say the same about people using completely natural chemical-free cosmetics. Rather that it is a "Punishment" for the "Sin."

I am not sure what he said though. And I have close ties to some people who where there. The reason is because the speech is not half as much discussed between his Chassidim as it is on this site. I think even his own chassidim took what he said with a grain of salt.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 12:16 pm
Just gonna chime in to agree that people here on imamother are more riled up about what the satmar rebbe said than actual satmar people are.

I think...it's really a culture you have to grow up in...I can't really explain it but a large amount of satmar people who grew up with "fire and brimstone" speeches don't take them seriously. Like, they will only take a speaker seriously if he mentions the fire and brimstone, so every speaker does, but hardly anyone actually believes the fire and brimstone affects them.

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 5:00 pm
That is very bad. On the one hand the rebbe is supposed to be the supreme leader who interprets the world for them. On the other hand he is completely out of touch and no one takes him seriously.

Aylat

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 5:25 pm
I dunno.
I'd tend to be more sceptical of the journalism, having had experience of journalists inventing 'quotes' just to make it sound more interesting. The original speech could have been quite different.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics