Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What to save for next year ??
1  2  Next

ShanaMatele

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:41 am
I have some things leftover in my pesach pantry that we didn't use. A can of pineapple, canned cranberry sauce, some un-opened potato starch. What should I/can I put away for next year? What about opened spices, like my cinnamon? Thanks!!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:45 am
why did you get a gigantor cinamon like me ... I was gonna sell dime bags outside the grocery cause they didn't have little ones ... generally spices lose their flavor stored and you should use those - I used to save things until I realized it was just foolish ... now I only save unopened potatoe starch ... and try to buy less stuff ... don't like pesach things and don't like to waste either ...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:49 am
how much storage place to you hve, and what would you save $$$ wise? I used to save salt and the expensive kosher for passover paper goods, but it became not worth it . . .

ShanaMatele

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 11:59 am
About the cinnamon:
Let's just say that I don't live in New York (or any other city with a large kosher-keeping population), and I'm on partial bed-rest. There was one or maybe 2 selections of any available spices at the one Kosher grocery store here. Not much to choose from. Also, because of my pregnancy issues, I didn't host a sedar or any big meals here. We were only home over chol-ha moed and the 2 night meals of the 2nd days. Plus, there's just me, my husband ond one 2 and a half year old daughter here. We don't eat that much.

What about tea bags?

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 1:00 pm
Use them up during the year and buy fresh next year. I don't save any food stuff.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 1:39 pm
at one point I had saved teabags AND instant coffee for over ten years. I used it each year but when I got fresh, oh boy !!!!!!

what a difference!

ChavieK

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 1:40 pm
I save pot starch. But you must smell it b/f u use it. Also we are not walnut or chopped nut eaters. So I ziploc & freeze those.Unopened ketchup & other only Pesach items.But things I use all year I don't save.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 1:43 pm
I save spices in the freezer. I wrap each box/bag up in a little plastic bag and then tie them all in one large bag. If I need that spice during the year I take it out (with clean hands of course) and leave the others. If I get to Pesach with it still there then I didn't need it all year, did I?

I save tea bags (Israelis only drink tea when they're ill), walnut oil if I have an unopened bottle (costs 4 times the price), potato flour (also in the freezer to prevent bugs).

I also put away soap, shampoo, hand cream, conditioner etc. The Pesach brands are inferior and that way I don't have to use them up after Pesach. I keep them from year to year.

On Motzai Pesach we pack up all these things and make a list so that next year we'll know what not to buy.

When I lived in England my parents used to save zillions of things like salt and sugar. The Pesach brands are much more expensive there, but in Israel all the basics cost about the same as all year round.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 1:45 pm
If you don't use ketchup during the year then why buy it for Pesach?

withhumor

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 1:55 pm
I save everything, as long as it’s closed well, wrapped well with at least a garbage bag and a box, then store din a cool dry place (no damp basements) then it will be perfect! This year I used up my oil from 9 years ago, I still have the salt though, for the 10th year you can yuck all you want but in the end, I’m saving myself on those food orders every year. I save everything, even coffee. If something looks funny on pesach, I buy a new one.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 1:56 pm
I never buy those extras cause they are just nauseating ... but my dd made me cause she can't live without ketchup ... sooooooooo... groosssssssss... anyway it was worth $2.35 to make her happy ... she ate it with everything well almost... I think that was to prove to me it was worth it

withhumor

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 2:10 pm
p.s. I put away the dishwashing soap, everything! Whatchagnnado!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 2:29 pm
Dishsoap is different. It's not high enough quality to want to use during the year. You can bag it and stick it under the sink and you're fine.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 2:32 pm
I'm gonna put the ketchup in a bag in the back of fridge ... it's too gross to use ... believe me to OP I used to save things ... they just have no taste and take up unnecessary room and time saving them ... that was learned over years of making pesach ...

shanie5

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 3:40 pm
unopened matzoh meal, cake meal and potato starch I save. spices too-well wrapped. canned goods can be saved also, but I use them all the time, and the $$ isnt that much more. salt I dont save cuz I use it too much for it to make sense to save it. sugar is the same as year round, so dont save that either.

I have saved nuts, but be careful, they can go rancid and buggy-so make sure to check them first.

as I use dawn dishwashing liquid always, I dont save, just buy a new one. same goes for toothpastes, shampoos, and hand creams-the ones we use are in Rabbi Blumenkrantz's book, so I do not buy special for pesach and therefore dont save them.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 3:45 pm
I'm saving the Sweet n Low. Would never touch the stuff during the year- I use splenda instead. I'm not buying a new box next year for 8 packages.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 3:49 pm
shanie5 wrote:

as I use dawn dishwashing liquid always, I dont save, just buy a new one. same goes for toothpastes, shampoos, and hand creams-the ones we use are in Rabbi Blumenkrantz's book, so I do not buy special for pesach and therefore dont save them.

same here ... although I used to pay a lot for the kosher brands that didn't even work ... I actually took out an old toothpaste cause my ds won't use the one I got ... so I save it for him ... year after year after year ...

ShanaMatele

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 4:52 pm
Quote:
I'm saving the Sweet n Low. Would never touch the stuff during the year- I use splenda instead. I'm not buying a new box next year for 8 packages.

We only used half of the box this year. I am totally saving the Sweet n Low. Now I've finally got everything into my Pesach pantry (aka my linen closet) and tonight DH will hopefully pack it all up so I can put my linens away. I followed someone's recommendation to make a list of everything I'm storing so I don't buy it again next year. I'll type up the list later to keep it on my computer. (Anything written down always end up lost, or with the Pesach stuff!)

BTW: I did find a list of the shelf life of many foods.
http://www.msnbc.com/OnAir/nbc.....f.asp

HTH someone!!

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 6:35 pm
Quote:
I used to save salt and the expensive kosher for passover paper goods,

You don't need to buy kosher for pesach paperware - just test it for starch with iodine. If it is starch free, it is for sure ok. (everything we tested was fine) You dab it with the iodine - if it turns blue-black there is starch (not nec. chametz) If it is brown - yellow it is fine.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 6:54 pm
I save spices. They're left covered, they should be fine. Then again, the firs ttime I "made pesacH" was last year and I wasn't home this year to try out the stuff I saved. I don't use these spices often enough that I'd finish them during the year, so I saved them.
I also saved potato starch.
If you're going to use the pineapples and cranberries and the pesach kind is the same price, just use it during the year..otherwise, save.
also, if you save toothpaste, deoderant,make-up, you don't have to start worrying next year if what you have is chometz free!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics