Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Counter tops for pesach

amother

Post Sun, Feb 09 2014, 8:26 pm
What do you use? We usually use those plastic ones youcan buy in the supermarket but they have to be replaced yearly and then the cost..... so what do you use?

SingALong

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 12:09 am
1st time making Pesach, I plan on buying cur rotated plastic, my local hardware store sells various widths and I can cut them as needed to fit my counters. Not sure if they're disposable or I can reuse next year.

I've seen custom Formica type covers that can be used every year but they are very heavy, I can't see myself getting that.

I've seen laminate rolls being used, cut to fit the counter but you need to secure with heavy duty tape which is hard to wash off later.

Ive seen a clear glass/lucite type of cover, also looks custom cut, can be reused every year. I'd love to get that one day, just wonder how it holds up with heat or hot things being put down.

momX4

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 12:20 am
SingALong wrote:
1st time making Pesach, I plan on buying cur rotated plastic, my local hardware store sells various widths and I can cut them as needed to fit my counters. Not sure if they're disposable or I can reuse next year..

just use clear tape around the edges so no water gets inside. They can be reused for many years.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 7:12 am
We use rolls of carpet protection plastic, lightly sticky on one side, smooth on the other. A big roll can last for 5 years or so in our large kitchen and dining room.

I love the idea of having pieces cut to size, but not the idea of storing them.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 9:50 am
I buy think plastic tablecloth covers. It is much thicker then the ones they sell for shabbos. I like that it wipes down easily. I don't really have place to store the counters year to year so this is easy, I just throw it away. There is a store that will cut the length you want. Its wide enough that it covers both my counters and back splash. I also use it on the tables under the tablecloth. It is easy to cut so I put it around my sink, cut out outlets, etc.

but I like the idea of the carpet protection plastic - I will look into it.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 9:52 am
imasinger wrote:
We use rolls of carpet protection plastic, lightly sticky on one side, smooth on the other. A big roll can last for 5 years or so in our large kitchen and dining room.

I love the idea of having pieces cut to size, but not the idea of storing them.

Were do you buy this?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:14 pm
I was looking into the thick plastic (like from jo ann fabric) to cover my counter tops this year, but they are all made from PVC plastic. Isn't anyone worried about the health aspects of it?
I'm not at all a health nut or super cautious on most things, but with all the things out there that say "pvc free" it makes me nervous to cover my counter tops with pvc...

maybe Im being crazy??

amother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:20 pm
thank you for the suggestion to use carpet protection plastic!
never heard of it before and sounds fantastic.
I googled quickly and found it in homedepot. I also found this hard surface protector, same thing but for smooth surfaces.
I think its better no?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rob.....Zc1th

mommy9

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:24 pm
We use wood covered with contact paper the size of each counter with foil around the edges. Around the sink I put foil tape to keep it waterproof.

esther malka

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 11:52 pm
We use corrugated plastic, normally used for signs. I googled for a sign shop and found a few nearby, called to price it out. They come in 4'x8' sheets in different colors, which is nice, we have black ones and they wash well with winded or soap and water. They last nicely too. Unfortunately we flooded this summer and they for ruined, but we used the old ones as a template and were able to cut new ones much faster than it took the first time.
Also, this time I bought shop scissors at Home Depot, much faster and easier than a utility knife.
I tape them down with outdoor waterproof tape they sell in the paint department at Home Depot, it doesn't leave residue and it really keeps the water from seeping under the counters.
If you go this route, give yourself time to cut them.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

citimom

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 6:35 am
Does the carpet protector Plastic leave a sticky residue on your counter tops? I have a smooth finish Formica.

asp40

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 6:56 am
We also use corrugated plastic. Cheap and wipes right down. BUt we had a problem with it melting/getting misshapen with the hot plate/blech. So now we put tiles on top of the plastic. Works perfectly.

paprika

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 7:01 am
SingALong wrote:

I've seen laminate rolls being used, cut to fit the counter but you need to secure with heavy duty tape which is hard to wash off later.

Masking tape for 1 week doesn't leave any residue. The blue painters tape, similar to masking tape, but in the blue color is made specifically to tape onto walls and not leave residue when taken off.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
thank you for the suggestion to use carpet protection plastic!
never heard of it before and sounds fantastic.
I googled quickly and found it in homedepot. I also found this hard surface protector, same thing but for smooth surfaces.
I think its better no?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rob.....Zc1th

How thick are the carpet\floor protectors. Do they tear easily.

the hard plastic tablecloths we use withstand almost anything - but its much more expensive then this.

kollel wife

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:08 am
I got this idea from someone else, but we got linoleum flooring scraps from a flooring store - maybe $10 or so for all the counters.

For the backsplashes I used to use tin foil. This was time consuming and back breaking to tape up. Then I also saw someone who used the counter covers they sell in the frum stores for the backsplashes. In that location they don't get very wet and can be reused from year to year. So covering the counters and backsplashes takes minutes.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:48 pm
What we cannot kosher we put a wood plank on.

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 12:55 pm
We hold that the covering should be 2 layers that's why we use the plastic corrugated sheets. I wish I could find something easier than that to use.
We do reuse the counters a few times but it has to be thrown out eventually and last year was one of those times!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics