Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Can I cheat?
1  2  Next

boro parker

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 2:45 pm
I want to make strawberry shortcake but for kashrus purposes can't use fresh/frozen strawberries. I thought of using strawberry pie filling/jam as a substitute and wondering if anyone has had experience with that. Can I try fooling people or will it taste outright disgusting?
Or does anyone have any other ideas of some kind of strawberry flavored cake/cupcake without fresh/frozen strawberries?

lili

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 2:49 pm
No, I cant imagine it would be tasty.
I was going to suggest using frozen but then I saw you cant use those either...

busydev

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 2:53 pm
my sis in law gave me an apple strawberry kugel recipe that uses fresh apples and strawberry filling. its made of crumble and could be made in cupcakes (or cut after and put into cupcake papers) def tasty enough for a dessert imo

anotherima

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 2:59 pm
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....kugel

boro parker

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 3:04 pm
thanks for the responses! I prefer a cake rather than crumb style...
Anyone?

livinginisrael

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 3:09 pm
maybe something with pink icing...

a1mom

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 8:40 pm
You can use a layer of strawberry pie filling in the middle and pipe this lines of strawberry jam across the top of a strawberry shortcake.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 8:45 pm
Read ingredients most jams/pie fillings have fruit in it

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 9:23 pm
Substitute a different berry, like blueberries, or a different fruit entirely, like peaches or apricots. It won't be strawberry shortcake, but then it wouldn't be, anyway, if you used something red that wasn't a strawberry.

You didn't say why you want to make a fake strawberry shortcake. Because you want the cake but not the berries? use a different fruit. Because you want something red and white? Make something different entirely. I'd suggest cherry cheesecake or cherries jubilee.

spring13

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 9:32 pm
Why bother with strawberries then? Just move on to some other fruit/concept.

yogabird

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 9:41 pm
http://www.myrecipes.com/recip.....5378/

This is a cake with a crumb topping and a strawberry jam filling. It got rave reviews the first time I made it...

boro parker

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:29 am
I want to stick to strawberries- that's my purim theme.
btw, is there strawberry pie filing with a heimishe hechsher? (something in addition to OU)

boro parker

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:32 am
zaq wrote:
Substitute a different berry, like blueberries, or a different fruit entirely, like peaches or apricots. It won't be strawberry shortcake, but then it wouldn't be, anyway, if you used something red that wasn't a strawberry.

You didn't say why you want to make a fake strawberry shortcake. Because you want the cake but not the berries? use a different fruit. Because you want something red and white? Make something different entirely. I'd suggest cherry cheesecake or cherries jubilee.

what's that?

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:36 am
I bought once strawberry filling and it was delicious. I don't remember the brand but I got it in a kosher grocery store here.

I never tried it, but my guess is that it might be good in a strawberry shortcake with cream and the filling in between the layers. It may not taste exactly the same but it might be good anyway. I think you should try it out (for shabbos?) to see if it comes out good before wasting your time and money on a lot of cakes and finding out you don't like it.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:52 am
I once made amazing strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. It uses real strawberries but they are pureed. Can you use it then?

boro parker

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:54 am
Simple1 wrote:
I bought once strawberry filling and it was delicious. I don't remember the brand but I got it in a kosher grocery store here.

I never tried it, but my guess is that it might be good in a strawberry shortcake with cream and the filling in between the layers. It may not taste exactly the same but it might be good anyway. I think you should try it out (for shabbos?) to see if it comes out good before wasting your time and money on a lot of cakes and finding out you don't like it.

where are you?

boro parker

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:56 am
oliveoil wrote:
I once made amazing strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. It uses real strawberries but they are pureed. Can you use it then?

no, I can't use pureed either, thanks though.

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:57 am
boro parker wrote:
where are you?

I think it was NPGS Lakewood.

suzyq

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 11:59 am
I've used strawberry pie filling for strawberry shortcake and it was delicious. It does have real strawberries in it though, so not sure that helps you. The brand was called Lucky Leaf.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 12:05 pm
boro parker wrote:
I want to stick to strawberries- that's my purim theme.
btw, is there strawberry pie filing with a heimishe hechsher? (something in addition to OU)

I think mishpacha or ungers has - not sure if it has strawberries in it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins